Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Default Re: LeBron vs. Messi

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    I don't think so. Ronaldo is able to cross the whole playing field in 10 seconds while not running straight and having to adjust to where the ball is going. Plus he has terrible running style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qadThJjVQM

The measuring in this video obviously is not accurate, but it is probably best showcase of Ronaldo's speed. I don't think LeBron is faster.
    Agreed. Why do ppl call you a LeBron troll? I know ur a fan who likes to protect ur fav player, but not a troll. You don't deserve to be in red like low iq trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by branslowski
    Agreed. Why do ppl call you a LeBron troll? I know ur a fan who likes to protect ur fav player, but not a troll. You don't deserve to be in red like low iq trolls.
    I troll when the others troll and I troll idiotic non-trolls like pedo123 I have no problem admitting LeBron is not the best at everything when the discussion is serious

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    No, He is not. The world is not North America.
    yes he is, the world is not south america

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    yes he is, the world is not south america
    Man.

Popularity worldwide:

Soccer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> basketball

Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi are all more popular than Jordan all around the world.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Man.

Popularity worldwide:

Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, Messi are all more popular than Jordan all around the world.
    yes, football is more popular than basketball but jordan transcends the game

jordan is more known name in the most populous countries in the world except for brazil. in china, india, usa - jordan >>>> pele, maradona, ronaldo

maybe with the younger kids now and all the social media, messi is more known

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Come on now, Messi is already a legend and easily a top 3 GOAT player of all time. In regard to their respective sports, Messi has this no doubt. However, they both still have the ability to become the greatest players ever.

Man.

Popularity worldwide:

I'm a fan of both basketball and football, but I don't think these football players are more popular than Jordan. Football is no doubt a more popular sport than basketball and other sports, but I think that Jordan is the most famous athlete ever.

Interesting vid for those who know little about soccer/football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL-gPMPVXI

They perform different tests on C. Ronaldo, who is known for being an incredibly versatile, physical, complete player.

They measure a 31 inch vertical in an awkward test.
    Last edited by dannywpt; 08-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    I'm a fan of both basketball and football, but I don't think these football players are more popular than Jordan. Football is no doubt a more popular sport than basketball and other sports, but I think that Jordan is the most famous athlete ever.
    Yeah, Basketball moreso than any other sport has the capacity to create legendary persona's. If Lebron had won in Clevelend with those funny commercials he was putting out and perhaps a couple of movies, Messi wouldn't be close to him in popularity. Football like American Football is harder to standout. Pele was the exception because he changed the game and made it really sweet on the eyes. His skill level was legendary and he did it wherever he played on the world stage as well. Messi is the best player at this time but he isn't iconic like Pele.

Duncan could have been close to being the best player in basketball in the '00 decade. But he lacked persona. He isn't likely to be in a Harlen Shake video. So that's a key element in popularity. People and their persona make up popularity than their sports will do for them. In the Olympics, World Cups and big stages is Messi clearly the best??? That's the time to stand out. Pele was like that. Soccer is the most popular sport not because of the European leagues. It was always a show and prove on the world stage - and Maradona followed that tradition.

Who is the fastest man on the planet? What athlete is known to fly? What athlete stands out among other athletes? Ali had an indomitable spirit in the Olympics. Everybody has their eyes on the world stage. Or somebody who clearly stands out.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Yeah, Basketball moreso than any other sport has the capacity to create legendary persona's. If Lebron had won in Clevelend with those funny commercials he was putting out and perhaps a couple of movies, Messi wouldn't be close to him in popularity. Football like American Football is harder to standout. Pele was the exception because he changed the game and made it really sweet on the eyes. His skill level was legendary and he did it wherever he played on the world stage as well. Messi is the best player at this time but he isn't iconic like Pele.

Duncan could have been close to being the best player in basketball in the '00 decade. But he lacked persona. He isn't likely to be in a Harlen Shake video. So that's a key element in popularity. People and their persona make up popularity than their sports will do for them. In the Olympics, World Cups and big stages is Messi clearly the best??? That's the time to stand out. Pele was like that. Soccer is the most popular sport not because of the European leagues. It was always a show and prove on the world stage - and Maradona followed that tradition.

Who is the fastest man on the planet? What athlete is known to fly? What athlete stands out among other athletes? Ali had an indomitable spirit in the Olympics. Everybody has their eyes on the world stage. Or somebody who clearly stands out.
    The Olympics isn't a big stage in football. It's an U23 tournament. Argentina (an messi) actually won in 2008 and messi was MVP.

The World Cup is increasingly becoming a second rate competition. The players are putting more and more into the club season and the standard of international football is suffering. IMHO a mid table premiership club if they rested their players for it and really went for it could win the World Cup. That's the kind of level it's played at nowadays.

The big stage in world football is the champions league.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased_one
    The Olympics isn't a big stage in football. It's an U23 tournament. Argentina (an messi) actually won in 2008 and messi was MVP.

The World Cup is increasingly becoming a second rate competition. The players are putting more and more into the club season and the standard of international football is suffering. IMHO a mid table premiership club if they rested their players for it and really went for it could win the World Cup. That's the kind of level it's played at nowadays.

The big stage in world football is the champions league.
    Great post, I agree 100% (though I'm mostly a Serie A guy, I try to check out big matches).