Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Michael Jordan's Free Throw Line Dunk

The '88 free throw line dunk is my favorite free throw line dunk even if it was just inside the line because MJ got a lot of height on the dunk and really posed for it.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    The '88 free throw line dunk is my favorite free throw line dunk even if it was just inside the line because MJ got a lot of height on the dunk and really posed for it.
    Yeah, it's definitely a cool dunk. Though, looking back, I kind of feel bad for Dominique. Judges were handing out 47's and above like candy that year. In fact, 'Nique and Jordan both went through their first seven dunks without scoring a 46 or lower (despite Jordan repeating the same dunk twice - the sideways windmill). Then Wilkins breaks out the first two-hand windmill in contest history (with supreme authority) and receives a 45? The same score Otis Smith received for missing a routine reverse slam and making up for it with a medium level one hand dunk off the glass?

To top things off, Jordan had already slammed from the free throw line earlier in the contest. Not only that, but he missed his first free throw line attempt in the finals. It was a great show all around and it's tough to go against the hometown crowd in an exhibition showing (it's not like it was a real game) but man, I don't know about that one.

MJ in the '88 one might be a little in front of the line, but it's the body dexterity and contortion that makes it utterly amazing. He crunches his body together, pulls in his legs for take off, and cocks the ball. No one else has done that much body art when taking off from the Free Throw line besides Shawn Kemp, who scissor kicked his legs and cocked it back. Usually players overwhelmed with the length just go straight up and down. MJ, Kemp, and James White are the only ones who put artistry in their dunk from the Free Throw line.

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

The most OVERRATED thing I have ever seen involving sports.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    If I remember correct, scottie pippen was one of a very few guys that was able to dunk from the ft line. Jordan and erving were just inside it.[HTML][/HTML]

MJ did it from behind the line in 1985 as stated earlier.

Also, one big difference between MJ's free throw line dunk and everyone else's (inlcuding Dr. J)--MJ dribbled the ball down the court. Everyone else ran with the ball in their hand.

Dribbling the ball and then collecting it when you get to the line is harder than just running with it in your hand and dunking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers2877
    The most OVERRATED thing I have ever seen involving sports.

Then you must not watch much sports.

Serious playground baller Lakers2877's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Then you must not watch much sports.
    How do you watch sports with Jordan's balls in your face? That's gotta be tough

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    Yeah, overrated and not so impressive

LeBron basically did the same dunk in game...

stay mad ******. jordan >>>>>>>>kobe>>>>>>lebron.
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 08-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    MJ in the '88 one might be a little in front of the line, but it's the body dexterity and contortion that makes it utterly amazing. He crunches his body together, pulls in his legs for take off, and cocks the ball. No one else has done that much body art when taking off from the Free Throw line besides Shawn Kemp, who scissor kicked his legs and cocked it back. Usually players overwhelmed with the length just go straight up and down. MJ, Kemp, and James White are the only ones who put artistry in their dunk from the Free Throw line.

Yup:

Funny how muhfvckas who probably weren't even born then try to tear down and detract MJ's accomplishments from back in the day. When you ether them, then they go with "Whatever. MJ is still an asshole, doe".

Fakkitry most foul. You never see MJ fans tear down those that came before MJ, like Elgin Baylor, Connie Hawkins and Dr. J.

But insecure Kobe and Lebron stans will shit on any legend from before 2000. MJ, Magic, Bird, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers2877
    How do you watch sports with Jordan's balls in your face? That's gotta be tough

I guess the same way you do with Kobe's dick in your mouth.

Overrated dunk just because MJ was the one doing it. If it were some no-name player doing it, then it wouldn't have gotten the attention it did.