Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Is Oscar Robertson overrated?

Whether or not he's overrated depends on where the majority of people rank him. His stats alone pretty much warrant a top 15 spot imo, throw in a ring and that solidifies it. I don't think he has an argument for top 10, i see 12-15 range as reasonable and that's where most people seem to have him. So no i don't think he's overrated unless one is claiming him to be a top 5-7 player.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    Impressive as hell.

Though Dwyane Wade, who averaged similar stats to Doc's stats in the NBA along with 3 NBA titles, and 5 NBA Finals appearances is arguable in the top 25 (and his career hasn't even ended yet).
    Only difference is Wade was playing with 2 player greater than him in Shaq and LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Only difference is Wade was playing with 2 player greater than him in Shaq and LeBron.
    Shaq was better than Wade during the '05 regular season. '05 playoffs and beyond, Wade was the Heat's best player

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Nobody alive has seen him play so we have to go strictly by word of mouth and we know how reliable that can be. There's no proof that he averaged a triple double for a season so it's hard for most people to judge him correctly. Personally I think he's the greatest point guard ever but that's only because my dad used to tell me stories about him all the time growing up
    LOL what? First of all, Oscar is still alive. He's only 76 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Ogg
    LOL what? First of all, Oscar is still alive. He's only 76 years old.
    and Russell
    and Cousy
    and West
    and Pettit
    and Baylor
    and Kareem
    and Hal Greer
    and Dave Bing
    and Dolph Schayes
    and Sam Jones
    and Earl Monroe
    and Wes Unseld
    and Willis Reed
    and Bill Bradley
    and Calvin Murphy

The thing that stands out to me is Oscar shot 48.5% for his career which is pretty insane for his position and era.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Would Magic have made the Royals better during the 60s? That's who Oscar is measured against.
    I don't know, which why I'm asking. For anyone that knows the game a little better, would Magic have made the Royals a little bit better?

I constantly hear LAZ talk about how Jerry Lucas was basically the same type of player as Kevin Love, is that true?

Were his teams just that much inferior?

His accomplishment with the Royals reminds me of Dominique with the Hawks, Adrian Dantley or McGrady (minus the injury) in the sense that they couldn't really do much in the playoffs but put up insane stats. Obviously Oscar's stats are a more impressive on a consistent basis.

Is there even one series where he was completely dominant...?

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    Whether or not he's overrated depends on where the majority of people rank him. His stats alone pretty much warrant a top 15 spot imo, throw in a ring and that solidifies it. I don't think he has an argument for top 10, i see 12-15 range as reasonable and that's where most people seem to have him. So no i don't think he's overrated unless one is claiming him to be a top 5-7 player.
    60s stats though, are no doubt a little bit inflated?

For example, his rebounding stat... Oscar's team in 1961 averaged around 71 total rebounds per game, and Oscar averaged 10. So he grabbed around 14.08% of his team's total rebounds.

If we look at McGrady in 03. The Magic totalled around 41 rebounds per game, and McGrady grabbed 6.5 per game. That translate to Tmac grabbing around 15.85% of his team's total rebounds.

If we look at Westbrook this year. The thunder total around 48 rebounds per game with Westbrook averaging 7 per game. Which translate to 14.58% of his team's total rebounds.

Obviously this isn't the perfect calculation, but keep in mind Westbrook averages 10 minutes less than Oscar. Can we assume that current Westbrook would average a triple double (or a near triple double with less efficiency obviously) had he played in the 60s?

If that's the case, how much are those triple dub averages really worth?
    Last edited by Fire Colangelo; 03-06-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

^ While some of the stats may be inflated, the way assists were judged back in that era was harsher than in today's game (some of today's assists would not be judged as assists in Oscar's era). So in today's game, Oscar would have averaged even more assists.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    If that's the case, how much are those triple dub averages really worth?
    Well, nobody else did it in his era. Wilt comes closest.

College superstar

People like to point to pace, and the incredible minutes that the older players played.. but no one wants to consider how insane their stamina had to be.

In a vacuum, if we extrapolate out Westbrook's stats on a 48min basis, of course he' be ridiculous. But considering a faster pace AND more hours? His efficiency will drop HARD. And he's already hammered for his efficiency now.

And that's just one example.

Oscar is a top 8 player. Period. End of story. A lot of people that saw him play consider him the GOAT, or at least in the conversation. That's good enough for me.

Is Oscar Robertson overrated?
    No, the 60's are underrated. For a supposedly "weak era", a transcendent talent like Oscar should be supposed to be able to win multiple titles, yet, he couldn't even reach the Finals in his prime - and he wasn't always facing the Celtics in the playoffs (hell, he wasn't always even making the playoffs).