Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Default True Detective Season 3

anyone watch first 2 episodes?

worth spending 2 hours of my life?

Default Re: True Detective Season 3

yes, they were pretty good. marshala ali is a great actor.

interested to see where this leads to.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I didn't know it started yet. I'll get to it after I finish Escape From Dannemora.

just got through the first episode. has that slow burn, time jumping, southern gothic flavor from the first season.

2nd season was turrible. got high hopes for this one.

Damn didn't realise it was out yet, will check it out.
    Season 2 was so bad

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

So I

I have both the first episodes on DVR. I have been too busy to sit down and watch them.

The first season was amazing yet the second season was about as bad of a series I have ever seen. It would be really hard for this one to be as bad as season #2.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I've been waiting for them and thought the first two episodes were great. Ali is great. But getting back to the right writing, unspooling the story from multiple angles by jumping from one timeline to the other, is what's really working. And it doesn't hurt that they've come back around thematically to some of the creepier, occult type elements that dotted the first season.

If anything you could make the claim it's moving too fast. That the symbolism is a bit too on the nose. But frankly I thought the pacing in the first season was a little off early on anyway.

The first two episodes were also directed by the same guy, Jeremy Saulnier, who's done a couple of good Netflix movies, Blue Ruin, and recently Hold The Dark, and one of my favorite thrillers of recent years, Green Room. He's got a perfect vibe for this, however apparently there was a falling between him and the writer, Pizzalatto, during production, and those first two are the only ones Saulnier directed. Hopefully the tone is kept up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I've been waiting for them and thought the first two episodes were great. Ali is great. But getting back to the right writing, unspooling the story from multiple angles by jumping from one timeline to the other, is what's really working. And it doesn't hurt that they've come back around thematically to some of the creepier, occult type elements that dotted the first season.

If anything you could make the claim it's moving too fast. That the symbolism is a bit too on the nose. But frankly I thought the pacing in the first season was a little off early on anyway.

The first two episodes were also directed by the same guy, Jeremy Saulnier, who's done a couple of good Netflix movies, Blue Ruin, and recently Hold The Dark, and one of my favorite thrillers of recent years, Green Room. He's got a perfect vibe for this, however apparently there was a falling between him and the writer, Pizzalatto, during production, and those first two are the only ones Saulnier directed. Hopefully the tone is kept up.
    i liked hold the dark, big fan of dark movies like that.

i read there's an episode on season 3 of TD with a similar tracking shot much like season 1 when rust goes undercover to the stash house in the projects with his biker friends, really excited for that episode.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Season 2 wasn't even that bad. It certainly was a lot better than a lot of the shit on tv right now. Seasons 5-7 from Game of Thrones is much worse and a lot of you idiots love that garbage.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    i liked hold the dark, big fan of dark movies like that.

i read there's an episode on season 3 of TD with a similar tracking shot much like season 1 when rust goes undercover to the stash house in the projects with his biker friends, really excited for that episode.

There's obviously a ton of stuff pulled structurally from season one. The southern gothic atmosphere. The more occult angle. The multiple timelines. But especially even the lead cops having this sort of tenuous relationship.

I think the smart move though was limiting the focus to one character. I really feel like that's what hurt season two the most. Just too many characters to try to develop in too little time. And that's even no disagreeing with Smoke that it's not really as bad a season as it's made out to be. It's just not particularly good TV. But if you're into the genre, and you watched all the season of say, The Killing, like I did, it's got it's moments.

So far I really like the period specific work. The Vietnam angle. The racial tension of the era. There's a lot to play on that.

[QUOTE=warriorfan]So I

**** season 2.

Just saw both episodes, I like

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Ugh so frustrated already. Dragging us through three different timelines?? Or is it four?