Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default If one guitarist plays music with more speed and accuracy, and with more feeling...

than another guitarist, does that inherently make the first guitarist greater?

Banned

Default Re: If one guitarist plays music with more speed and accuracy, and with more feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    than another guitarist, does that inherently make the first guitarist greater?

depends on whether its a debate on technical skill/rhythm or actual music production

if i had a guitarist in my band that could pump out some amazing solo's/rifts that will help sell records then i don't care if he's more technically gifted or has more heart in his work and accuracy while mimicking something/taking orders

Default Re: If one guitarist plays music with more speed and accuracy, and with more feeling...

I'm not sure I see the relevance of music production to the actual playing of the instrument, and I would have included sounds better in my criteria, but I realize that might be a bit subjective

Greatness is usually not about that.

For example, the inventor of guitar might not be able to play too good by today's standard, but he's certainly greater than say, a random college kid who can play better than him.

If you're talking about who's better in skill, then perhaps it would be correct.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    I'm not sure I see the relevance of music production to the actual playing of the instrument, and I would have included sounds better in my criteria, but I realize that might be a bit subjective

the relevance is ... say you have a band and you wanna make millions/be famous. having a guy that can give you a legendary rift/solo is more important than having a guy who can just play the guitar better technically

if you already have a writer/composer whos a genius and can hold the guitarists hand then maybe the more technically gifted player is more valuable.

but if i'm a singer who can't write for a guitarist then i'd rather have a guy who can whip a best selling tune out of his ass but messes up from time to time and shows up late drunk as hell

It depends on what do you mean by greater...

Neil Young has made some great music in his career, as a guitar player he isn't anything that will knock your socks off but he does have his own style. There are tons of technically better guitarists but few who are better songwriters/artists.

Put it this way, if I'm forming a band right now and I have a chance of recruiting either a 20 year old Neil Young or a 20 year old Steve Vai for my band...I'm going with the guy who can write memorable songs.

In the end, the guitar IMO is a tool for writing music and not just for showing off your chops.

those are some interesting deflections

and some good points about music as a whole

Banned

most technical guitarist = Buckethead

most creative guitarist = Jimmy Paige

most heart/soul = Jimmy Hendrix

most innovative = Chuck Berry

most popular = Eric Clapton

most mimicked = Eddie Van Halen/Randy Rhodes

most underrated = Steve Vai

most repetitive = Angus Young

most overrated = Slash

i don't think there is any way to say who is the best. its all personal preference. but going by majority opinion i'd have to say clapton

now you're just riffing

These questions about music in a vacuum are useless, music is just not able to be atomized like that.

But for the sake of playing along... in general, I think most of us will value the guy who plays with feeling more than the robot.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    most technical guitarist = Buckethead

most creative guitarist = Jimmy Paige

most heart/soul = Jimmy Hendrix

most innovative = Chuck Berry

most popular = Eric Clapton

most mimicked = Eddie Van Halen/Randy Rhodes

most underrated = Steve Vai

most repetitive = Angus Young

most overrated = Slash

i don't think there is any way to say who is the best. its all personal preference. but going by majority opinion i'd have to say clapton
    Eric Clapton isn't close to be the most popular guitarist. Nobody gives a shit about Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoades and mimics them now. You're an idiot. Steve Vai also isn't overrated at all. He's a complete bore.

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

SRV could play Hendrix better than Hendrix, but he was about as original on the guitar as I am. Zappa, on the other hand, is without equal in this department. Horses for courses, with a healthy dose of subjectivity thrown into the mix.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Eric Clapton isn't close to be the most popular guitarist. Nobody gives a shit about Eddie Van Halen or Randy Rhoades and mimics them now. You're an idiot. Steve Vai also isn't overrated at all. He's a complete bore.

well i guess hendrix could be considered the most popular. but clapton not close?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...apton-4-38244/

you're insane lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbo Coles
    SRV could play Hendrix better than Hendrix, but he was about as original on the guitar as I am. Zappa, on the other hand, is without equal in this department. Horses for courses, with a healthy dose of subjectivity thrown into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    What r u on about? Clapton is almost as famous as Hendrix.