Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Potential Josh Smith Trades

I have been thinking - what are REALISTIC trades that might involve Josh Smith?...

I just heard a whisper of a deal involving Smith for Gay,
    -Money works out
    -Position wise works out

Thoughts on this?

And any other realistic trades you can think of to share?...

Default Re: Potential Josh Smith Trades

Smith for Batum straight trade works out money wise and position wise.

I doubt the Blazers would even consider changing a single thing about their team though, unfortunately, because Batum would in my opinion be the PERFECT fit out of everyone in the league as our SF...

Smith for Deng works money and position wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    I have been thinking - what are REALISTIC trades that might involve Josh Smith?...

I just heard a whisper of a deal involving Smith for Gay,
    -Money works out
    -Position wise works out

Thoughts on this?

And any other realistic trades you can think of to share?...
    would love this trade

I want Luol Deng

Banned

Is there any pistons fan in ISH?

NBA lottery pick

Two of the trades mentioned can't even happen (Deng and Gay). Since both were already traded they can't just be moved again right away I'm pretty sure. Anyway around it, I don't think it makes the team a contender by making that move. Right now there isn't a great trade for Detroit. I think we might have to wait this one out. It would've been nice to save that cap space (like I wanted to) and then just hit the draft and hopefully have a high pick again this year. Then we would've been really good. Instead we put together a mediocre team because Dumars was trying to keep his job. Even if we could have signed Iggy in the offseason do you really think this team would be incredibly better? I feel like it's only a few games difference. This team just ended up being built the wrong way and now we don't even have a draft pick to try to change things up. It's going to probably be a rough couple more years now guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Two of the trades mentioned can't even happen (Deng and Gay). Since both were already traded they can't just be moved again right away I'm pretty sure. Anyway around it, I don't think it makes the team a contender by making that move. Right now there isn't a great trade for Detroit. I think we might have to wait this one out. It would've been nice to save that cap space (like I wanted to) and then just hit the draft and hopefully have a high pick again this year. Then we would've been really good. Instead we put together a mediocre team because Dumars was trying to keep his job. Even if we could have signed Iggy in the offseason do you really think this team would be incredibly better? I feel like it's only a few games difference. This team just ended up being built the wrong way and now we don't even have a draft pick to try to change things up. It's going to probably be a rough couple more years now guys.
    Very well said

If Drummond is truly going to have a Dwight like effect in this league (way in front of him at respective ages currently) then surely our roster is better than:

Dwight
    Lewis
    Turkoglu
    Lee
    Nelson

vs

Drummond
    Monroe
    Smith
    KCP
    Jennings

That Magic team got to the NBA finals purely around placing solid, but not great, players around Dwight.

I believe as long as we keep Drummond headed in the right direction, he can take us to the next level with solid, not necessarily great, players around him.

Good shooters and defenders is what we need on the wings for Dre. KCP will fill this criteria on a wing in years to come as he tightens his shooting and gets even better defensively. I am not so sure Smith can do this. I am not beyond the idea of moving Smith to PF and trading Monroe for a SF, but it would not be my first choice...

NBA lottery pick

But again, even if you try to trade Monroe for a SF there's just nobody available that will make a difference.

If Dre is going to be as good as Dwight, look where Houston is right now. They have 2 superstars in Harden and Dwight and I still wouldn't consider them a legit contender. They're just a good team.

I'm not sold on KCP yet. He's going to have to get incredibly better. This might be our first draft bust in a while. All of us were about Trey Burke and MCW. Looks like we were right.

By the way, that Magic team wouldn't even come close to getting by Miami or Indiana this year.

I was so anti MCW haha, I am the first to admit I was wrong on that one!

KCP a bust? A player needs atleast 3 years in the league to develop and have a glimpse of what that players career might look like. He has all the tools to be a solid role player. A star? No way - It was an extremely weak draft and if we can get a starter out of it I would be happy. Every team needs a player that can shoot and hustle and I think that is his calling card. The thing that impresses me most about him is his attitude and drive to be better.

From a talent perspective - there isn't many teams, not many at all that have more raw talent than what we have right now. The only finished product we have on our team is Smith. Heck Jennings could be anything, he is still just 24...

The most important thing moving forward in my opinion is very, very good coaching staff and developmental people around this team. I also agree we have to make atleast one trade - not knowing what that exact trade is yet though...

What I do not agree with you (and maybe this is the only thing we have different views on) is that we need another top end draft pick. Sure - it would be amazing to get a stud in the upcoming draft (in which we have no picks damn it) but I don't think we absolutely "need" it to take this team to the next level.

Drummond
    Moose
    Jabari Parker
    KCP
    Jennings

This, would be game over for the league in 3 years time though ;)

NBA lottery pick

Yup, that was my point. Rather than going after Smith if the fans could've thought logically and supported the team through the tough times we could've had one more lottery pick, and it would've been a high end one. Then it would've been another decade of dominance.

I only said might be bust. I didn't say he was. It will take a few years to see, but generally you can tell if someone is going to be a good player or not right away. He definitely has bust potential. I need to see a lot more out of him.... I mean a lot more.

I'm just not sure we can fix the team this year. Maybe next year we could make a trade of Smith & Monroe for Kevin Love if they feel like he's going to walk??? I know it's a long shot but he's the perfect type of PF to have next to Drummond. A guy who can stretch the floor and score down low next to him would be extremely dangerous. That's really just wishful thinking though.

Melo I would rather stay away from. He's so talented but I would hate to have him limit the progress of our young guys like Drummond.

I think Joe D is probably thinking the same thing is in head... How do I fix this team that I messed up? Haha. There really isn't a good answer to it right now. We just have to ride things out. I'd really hate to see them move Monroe just because we aren't winning as many games as we'd like to.

I think we both agree on some important issues:

1 - We want to keep Monroe,
    2 - We want to Move Smith first,
    3 - We want to steer clear of Melo,

At-least we are asset rich..

I watched the spurs game today, man I want Leonard at the 3 so bad. He is the perfect high end role player...

NBA lottery pick

We definitely do have assets. I agree about Leonard. We thought we got a steal in that 2011 draft. To be honest during that point in time I wasn't that high on him then. Part of me wants to think if he wasn't in San Antonio things might not have worked out the same though. I think him going there really helped his development. He didn't have to be the man right away. At least we ended up with Jennings out of the whole Brandon Knight thing. To think we could have Klay Thompson playing SG or SF for us right now.... I'm so glad Bismack Biyombo didn't fall to us though. I was right about him. He can rebound and play some defense but he's still so limited and definitely is not the next Ben Wallace.