Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad

Default Doc Rivers speaks on Ray Allen's decision

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...vers_disa.html

"I'm just disappointed; he should have stayed," Rivers said before the Celtics' summer league entry began practice at Rollins College. "We recruited him just as hard (as Miami). We talked (after he agreed with the Heat). It was a good talk. You know how I am, when a guy makes his mind up, I am not going to try to change it. I respect him for all he did for us, but I thought he should have stayed with us."

Allen accepted what is being reported as a two-year deal at about $3 million per season to play with the Heat. The Celtics offered twice as much money, but Allen relayed to Rivers the issues he had this past season, and that made the difference.

"No I didn't (have confidence Allen was going to stay), I didn't know one way or the other," Rivers said. "I just knew financially we were in a better position. But he had his reasons for leaving and I'm sure he'll express those with you guys."

When asked if agreed with Allen's reasons for signing with Miami and leaving the Celtics, Rivers said: "No. But that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what i think. I just wish we could have found a way (to keep him) and we didn't. I'll always put (the blame) on us, that's easier."

Rivers hinted that perhaps the Celtics' courting of Kevin Garnett to return may have irritated Allen, who may not have felt like a priority.

"I thought we did that," Rivers said. "Danny (Ainge) in particular did exactly what he should have done. Kevin Garnett was our focal point and he should have been. If that got anyone ruffled then that's probably too bad. We did everything that we're supposed to do.

"He had his reasons. I think emotionally he probably got bent sideways a little bit by us courting Kevin for some reason. I don't know honestly. Listen, he was great for us when he was here and that's all we can say for it. Clearly we would have liked him to stay with us. But I respect Ray and that will never go away."

Discuss.
    Last edited by swag2011; 07-08-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Doc Rivers speaks on Ray Allen's decision

Rays a jerk!

Banned

If he really got pissed at Boston treating KG that well, especially when KG is the ONLY big 3 member who came ready to play this postseason, he really looks like a jerk then.

Former Bulls Fan.

Wow Ray Allen is a dickhead. Reminds me of that one dude from the movie "The Expendables" who left the good guys to join the bad guys because he was jealous, then got his ass whopped and went back.

The ISH'ers Champion!

Interesting......Celtics - Heat rivalry heating up. Let it all be solved on the court...
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 07-08-2012 at 01:59 AM.

how about he shouldnt have been shopped during trade deadline? :

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls
    Wow Ray Allen is a dickhead. Reminds me of that one dude from the movie "The Expendables" who left the good guys to join the bad guys because he was jealous, then got his ass whopped and went back.
    Did the good guys shop that dude to another group?

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Or how about the fact you guys traded or tried to trade him multiple times, including this yr to Memphis and even called and told him then the trade didn't go through.

Plus Ray and Rondo have a rift between them. Miami has a more likely chance of winning a ring, generally considered a better city by most, and the 6million dollar difference in the offers is somewhat negated by no state income tax in Florida, cheaper cost of living, and end of the day he has made enough it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    how about he shouldnt have been shopped during trade deadline? :
    Why the hell shouldn't he have been shopped?

Celtics been tryin to get rid of Ray the past two seasons. Than the contract they offered him was pennies compared to the one they just gave KG (3 year 34 million).

They also just signed Jet Terry who will eat up into his minutes.

No one would give two sh*ts if he signed w/ the Clips. It's the team that he chose. Going to Miami just doesn't sit well with (some) fans.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease nbaballllller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    exactly.

so why the hell shouldnt he leave?

there is really no drama here, except the media

Made that high school varsity squad

Ok here's some more info i got on a forum. take with a grain of salt like always. I'm copying and pasting it below.

"Rondo/ Bradley hit it off, grt chemistry, worked grt on floor tog. Rondo admired Bradley's defence only guy to be able to stay in front of him in practices. Allen disagreed being replaced on starting line up by Bradley. Rondo not standing up for Ray preferring to work w Bradley. Rondo started calling less plays for Allen, & not passing him the ball when he was moved to the bench. Much bickering bet Rondo & Ray over this as Ray's stats started dropping. More bickering more Ray's shot opportunities dropped. Relationship deteriorated beyond repair. (Sorry but sounds like Rajon was being the jerk to Ray. Man how many Xmases did Rajon spend w Ray's fam.)

Rajon not going anywhere. Like Doc said best fit for Boston's team need pass first pt guard.

Big 3 not impressed w Rajon's immaturity when; Rajon snubbed for All Star then added as injury replacement Rondo planned to miss the game out of spite but Rivers convinced him not to; after throwing ball at ref vets badgered him (esp KG) to make public apology but Rajon refused only when Doc said he should express regrets later in season to make it seem less disingenuous did Rajon agree. Rajon would only listen to Doc bugged the players.

That players' only closed door meeting also included discussions about Rajon's behaviour.

Makes u wonder what else went on in the locker room. Rondo looking like a selfish, stubborn kid.

MacMullan saying Doc earns most of his $$ by serving as Rajon's disciplinarian, psychiatrist, ego booster and conscience."

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    Because he s in Miami right now instead of Boston.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    No one would give two sh*ts if he signed w/ the Clips. It's the team that he chose. Going to Miami just doesn't sit well with (some) fans.
    I honestly don't understand how this is just flying over people's head. Everyone knew it was a good chance he would leave, considering what happened, its WHERE he went thats causing uproar. The team that JUST beat them, and who they openly dont like, Ray is going to them. I can imagine KG and Pierce are NOT pleased about this at all.

If he went to the Clippers, this wouldn't even be an issue.