Good High School Starter

Default Was this Cleveland Minnesota trade the perfect trade?

Let's not include Philly but just between these two teams is there anyone who didn't get what they want?

Lebron gets his star second option, love gets to play with a team who has championship aspirations, waiters doesn't have to worry about coming off the bench, Cleveland are instant east favorites, wolves get a great potential core, wiggins and Bennet go to a situation where they can thrive... is there anyone within these two organizations who are unhappy from this trade? What other trade in history have been this good for both sides?

Default Re: Was this Cleveland Minnesota trade the perfect trade?

It was a great trade. Like you said, Cleveland got someone who complements LeBron extremely well, and their chances of winning a championship next season really increased. Minnesota got a potential superstar in Wiggins, a guy who has a chance to be good one day in Anthony Bennett, and a borderline all-star, Thad Young. I'm glad the Wolves got these guys. The fans have something to really look forward to. All I can say is that their future looks very bright.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    Let's not include Philly but just between these two teams is there anyone who didn't get what they want?

Lebron gets his star second option, love gets to play with a team who has championship aspirations, waiters doesn't have to worry about coming off the bench, Cleveland are instant east favorites, wolves get a great potential core, wiggins and Bennet go to a situation where they can thrive... is there anyone within these two organizations who are unhappy from this trade? What other trade in history have been this good for both sides?
    Yes, it's a rare instance of a "fair" trade for an unhappy star player. It also took an amazing series of events that no one could have predicted. If not for this combination of unexpected twists, Minnesota likely gets pennies on the dollar. And, if not for the same twists, the Cavs stick with that very talented but very young group of players who probably wouldn't have been competing for another 3-4 years.

At the end of the day, both fanbases should be happy. Minnesota received a pretty historic haul for a team in their situation and the Cavs received arguably a Top 5 player in the league just as he's about to enter his prime.

Pretty amazing.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Yeah it really worked out for Cavs and Minnesota. Both sides got what they wanted.

My only real gripe about the trade now that it's done (I did not want to give up Wiggins, but I've come to terms with the situation) is that Kevin Love is still only signed through this season. The Cavs are taking a very calculated, very real risk that things work out the way they're banking on.

This trade could become a catastrophe for the Cavs under the worst case scenario.

Banned

I still think trading Irving for Love would be better

LeBron can dominate the ball all he wants, Wiggins can be the energy player/defender, Love to be the secondary star, and waiters to provide additional scoring while Bennett and Thompson rebound and defend

That might've been the most balanced team in the league

Now Cavs have too much offence imo

i too believe trading Irving instead of Wiggins would have been better. first, the Cavs remove a potential locker room tiff between Lebron and Irving, and second, the Cavs don't lose a potential superstar in Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    i too believe trading Irving instead of Wiggins would have been better. first, the Cavs remove a potential locker room tiff between Lebron and Irving, and second, the Cavs don't lose a potential superstar in Wiggins.

I'm sure the Cavs have communicated to Irving who's in charge in town. And despite what trolls on this board say, LeBron's game is really not the type to cause issues like that.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    I'm sure the Cavs have communicated to Irving who's in charge in town. And despite what trolls on this board say, LeBron's game is really not the type to cause issues like that.

I'm sure that was the first order of business... letting everyone know "who is in charge." The Cavaliers signed Kyrie to a max extension as their first order of business this offseason. He's 22 years old, a two-time All-Star and one of the best young players in the entire NBA.

There was zero chance that he'd be traded, but I'm not surprised to see LeBron fans tossing him under the bus already. When LeBron is in his mid-30s and about ready to hang up his sneakers, Kyrie will just be entering his prime.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I think it's good to have Kyrie over Wiggins. Kyrie is a solid PG, and can control the game so LeBron doesn't have to exert so much energy on offense. It will help LeBron focus on his off-ball game, and save him some energy for the post season. 4 years of finals is a ton of minutes. Kyrie should allow him to rest a bit more, where Wiggins would require LeBron to control the ball more.