NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Default Can the Triangle work for the Knicks?

Without a transcendent player like Jordan, Shaq or Kobe? Or Phil on the bench?

JR's already bitching about it, and I'm interested to see how Carmelo does in it after the season gets well underway.

Whats the verdict gents?

Default Re: Can the Triangle work for the Knicks?

Work in what way ? Getting more wins ? Letting Melo go off ?

I see Melo going off this season, but I don't think that translates into more wins. The Knicks have to address their defense a lot more than they need to address triangle IMO.

Only if they use Pick's theorem

I saw some parts of their game against Celtics and looks confusing specially when the bench players are on the floor but I think is too soon to demand a great understanding of the system.

Carmelo is a great player who had 2 great individually seasons the last 2 years, so the fact is that he will get his no matter what system they run.

As for the Knicks, I think it might benefit them and get some wins. Last year's offense was too stagnate and Carmelo centric, so the ball and player movement will help them out.
    What concerns me the most about the Knicks is their defense. They have a lot of defense liabilities on their roster.

JR bickering about it? LOL he can gtfo. I'll drive him to the airport.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Without a transcendent player like Jordan, Shaq or Kobe? Or Phil on the bench?

JR's already bitching about it, and I'm interested to see how Carmelo does in it after the season gets well underway.

Whats the verdict gents?
    Not sure what defines a transcendent player, but the 94 Bulls ran the triangle offense better than any other team ever. Beautiful team basketball being played with a unselfish superstar.

It is early to really get an assessment of the triangle offense. However I don't see it working out for the Knicks, not at this stage and with the players they have. It takes a while to learn the system a few years to realy master the system and players have to be selfless. Surrender the Me for the We. That is not the only part. The Knicks players have to be discipline in their route running, almost like a wide receiver out on the field. Everything is measured. Every movement is in harmony within the triangle offense. And lastly, the Knick players have to find ways to balance their talents within the context of the team. I just don't see the current roster of players putting their self-centered mindset on the back burner for the team. Could it happen? Sure. But I just don't see anyone on this roster putting their ego on the side for the betterment of the team in order for the triangle to work.

I have seen the triangle offense being implemented here in Minnesota under Rambis. We just did not have the "think" power or player personnel here in order for it to work. Plus folks were not patient enough here in Minnesota, which is weird considering that we are pretty laid back people. Anyway, folks have to remember that it took Michael Jordan two years to really grasp the offense and he struggled. But when he returned in 1995, he really understood the point of the triangle offense; trust, teamwork, and freedom. Every player can fit in the offense no matter what your strengths are, if they learn to trust, put their egos on the side, and play within your role. This current Knick roster, I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Not sure what defines a transcendent player, but the 94 Bulls ran the triangle offense better than any other team ever. Beautiful team basketball being played with a unselfish superstar.
    Well stated. And remember, the Bulls started running the offense around 90. Also in that 92 series against the Trail Blazers when the Bulls were down by double digits in one of those games, the 2nd unit, plus Scottie Pippen, ran the triangle beautifully and brought the Bulls back in that game and ended up winning the title in that game. But it was players trusting each other, especially in that 3rd quarter, which helped the Bulls.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    I saw some parts of their game against Celtics and looks confusing specially when the bench players are on the floor but I think is too soon to demand a great understanding of the system.

Carmelo is a great player who had 2 great individually seasons the last 2 years, so the fact is that he will get his no matter what system they run.

As for the Knicks, I think it might benefit them and get some wins. Last year's offense was too stagnate and Carmelo centric, so the ball and player movement will help them out.
    What concerns me the most about the Knicks is their defense. They have a lot of defense liabilities on their roster.
    That second unit was an absolute disaster. They looked like they didn't know the difference between the triangle and the circle. F*cking lost out there.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro

There is just as much reason to be concerned about the Cavs defense, but no one seems to mention that about them.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    That second unit was an absolute disaster. They looked like they didn't know the difference between the triangle and the circle. F*cking lost out there.
    Well actually that was the 3rd string, and like 2 guys from the 2nd string. I don't foresee Acy getting much meaningful minutes in the regular season, but he sure as heck stunk bad out there for 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I won't take anything from those line-ups last night; gotta give them another 2 games. But it looks like J.R. is stil J.R. on "D", and Bargs is still Bargs. They need a LOT of work.