Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Default Re: Is it time to appreciate Ellis, Dirk, Carlisle and the Dallas Mavericks?

That Mavs team put up a heck of a fight.

Props to them.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Is it time to appreciate Ellis, Dirk, Carlisle and the Dallas Mavericks?

Spurs and Parker were already in beast mode in games 5 and 6 that series.

It isn't a coincidence that Kawhi struggled in the Mavs series and is now playing like a star again. Mavs gameplan was to stop Kawhi and let Parker and Timmy do the work.

Decent college freshman

2nd best team in the West. 2nd best coach in the NBA. It's a shame the Mavs didn't get the 7th seed. These two teams beat each other up in the first round when they both would have had it easy if Mavs got OKC instead. Dallas would have exposed the Thunder and taken them in six. Spurs would have swept the Grizzlies.

Wait till Dallas turns Marion & Blair into Deng & Gortat or Ariza & Pau. They are going to be tough next year.

The Holy Trinity

Matchups, conference parity and the fact that eight of the best ten teams in the league play in the West. It might be more than that. There's probably WC teams that didn't make the playoffs that are better than the EC #3 seed.

Dallas has a way better coach than both Portland and OKC

Idk why idiots in here are still ignorant of why the Mavs took the Spurs to game 7. It's not that hard to understand, esp since Parker and Carlisle already talked about their tactics in post-game interviews. Maybe what's even more amazing is that neither Stotts nor Brooks have tried to imitate Carlisle's defensive tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    Idk why idiots in here are still ignorant of why the Mavs took the Spurs to game 7. It's not that hard to understand, esp since Parker and Carlisle already talked about their tactics in post-game interviews. Maybe what's even more amazing is that neither Stotts nor Brooks have tried to imitate Carlisle's defensive tactics.

Lol. Parker got his warmup shots against the Mavs just like he did against the Blazers. He averaged 24+ closing out the Mavs series. The spurs are just that good, the thing is the Mavs just matched up wonderfully against them.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Either way we should be a lot better on paper next year...Cuban and Donnie better not **** up the summer. It's been a long time since their moves have worked out...(Chandler was lucky as they admitted...it just fell into our lap they didn't even want him initially)
    I saw Rick Carlisle at the draft combine the other day on tv. Who do you think he's scouting? My understanding was that the Mavs had no first round picks.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    I saw Rick Carlisle at the draft combine the other day on tv. Who do you think he's scouting? My understanding was that the Mavs had no first round picks.
    We don't have any first round picks (thunder got our pick this year)

We don't need a pick this year. It's all about free agency.

Can't wait to see how this summer goes...I'm expecting real things from Cuban/Donnie.

I supported the Chandler situation in 11...and I stand by that, but now it's time. They ****ed up with Odom/West in 12 and ****ed up with Mayo in 13.

Ellis signing was great, but honestly we got lucky with that...and I'm not sure Calderon is a good fit.

I personally want the following;

1. Sign Harris and Carter (Marion and Blair if they comes dirt cheap)
    2. Really try and move a package of Calderon/Wright/Ellington and a pick for something. I was thinking Chandler/Felton as I know the Knicks are looking to move Felton and I can't imagine they are hell bent on paying Chandler 15 million this year
    3. Offer the max to either Lowry or Monroe (depending on whether or not we make the above move or something like it)
    4. Bring in a guy like Luol Deng at sf for something like 3 years 27 million
    5. Give Larkin 20 or so minutes next year in a Barea type role as I think he'll be key in the playoffs for our team.
    6. Win the title

Dallas came this close to winning the series... this would've affected the whole playoffs. Probably would've made the Heat threepeating much more likely, whereas they'll probably be something of an underdog against the Spurs.

How well would the Mavs have done without Ellis?

Let's not pretend the Thunder have all their players.

Carlisle is a completely underrated coach. You give him a roster anywhere close to the Spurs and he isn't anywhere close to an 8 seed.

Coaching matters. Though, the Ibaka injury probably matters more in the current series' case.