Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Default Where would PEAK Kobe rank today?

Assuming everyone thinks 2006-2008 is his peak..

-How many more wins would LA have if ANY?
    -How much better was he, in his peak, offensively?
    -Is he a better scorer than Durant?
    -Is he even a better PLAYER than Lebron and/or Durant?

2006-2008 Highlights
    65 vs Blazers 2006-07
    62 in 3 quarters vs Mavs 2005-06
    81 vs Raptors 2005-06
    Kobe vs Bruce Bowen 2005-06

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: Where would PEAK Kobe rank today?

This years lakers would be more energized, better defensively an would never have a problem getting a bucket.

Kobe was scoring at will that season, his ability to create easy transition baskets would benefit the rest of his old teammates greatly. The guy could score 40 pts on 22 shots with good efficiency with the defense being completely focused on him night in night out.

Imagine Kobe in 06 where his teammates are good enough to the point where the defensive cant double and triple Kobe all game?

Made that high school varsity squad

1a/1b with lebron imo. People need to go back and watch his series against spurs snd kings during 3 peat. Kobe was not this one dimensional player he has seemed to turn into these last 2 or 3 years. He could playmake, score, defend and all that stuff.

Banned

As far as players, he would be right at the top with LeBron and Durant.

Would the Lakers be doing better? It's hard to say because even now most people agree that the result of the Lakers' losses is more of a coaching/team defensive issue than just on any one person. Even as well as Kobe played defense in 2008, I don't think he could single handedly make the Lakers a good defensive team since his coach doesn't give a shit about it.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

1. LeBron

2A. Kobe
    2B. Durant

1a 1b with bron

LeBron is a better athlete and KD is a better shooter but peak Kobe was just more impressive skillwise and he didn't need tons of fts every night.

Dude was dropping 40 every other night with straight up bums in the starting lineup and the whole defense locked in on him

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    LeBron is a better athlete and KD is a better shooter but peak Kobe was just more impressive skillwise and he didn't need tons of fts every night.

Dude was dropping 40 every other night with straight up bums in the starting lineup and the whole defense locked in on him
    Ahead of Durant, behind Lebron.

-How many more wins would LA have if ANY?
    Hard to say really. They'd be better defensively as his 2008 self could help to mitigate some of their perimeter defensive woes. They'd probably have a few more wins, but current Kobe has been playing great and isn't really responsible for their poor record at this point.

-How much better was he, in his peak, offensively?
    Depends on how you look at it really. He's arguably as good as he's ever been offensively this season, or at least close to it, but he's sacrificing defense to play at that level. Peak Kobe could give you current Kobe offense and still have the energy to be a top perimeter defender.

-Is he a better scorer than Durant?
    I'll probably get backlash for saying this, but to me, current Durant is the best scorer I've seen since Jordan. His scoring doesn't break down a defense the way a peak Kobe's did, but he's a better off ball player and spot up shooter, and that results in him being quite a bit more efficient than peak Kobe was.

-Is he even a better PLAYER than Lebron and/or Durant?
    I think he'd be somewhere in between, and closer to Lebron than Durant. Against Lebron, he's a better scorer, but Lebron is the better rebounder, passer, and defender. With Durant I see it as somewhat opposite; Kobe's the better passer and defender, and Durant is the better scorer - though not by much at all.
    Last edited by DatAsh; 01-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Kobe right now is a better jump shooter and distance than he ever was, and his bball IQ is higher. He is also a better passer than he was in 2006-2008.

He's slowed down of course and was quicker and more explosive in 2006-2008.

I'd agree with the dude a few posts above:

1. Lebron

2a. Kobe 2b. Durant

Durant is playing at an amazing level too right now with historically great offense.

Quote Originally Posted by swag2011
    Kobe was not this one dimensional player he has seemed to turn into these last 2 or 3 years. He could playmake, score, defend and all that stuff.
    I wouldn't even call current Kobe one dimensional. He doesn't defend like he used to, but he can still scorer and play-make with the best of them.

7-time NBA All-Star

I'd say LA would at least be at .500, but the problems with this team are not primarily due to Kobe. They've been due to injuries, a lack of chemistry, Howard and Gasol performing below expectations(especially Gasol who has been a virtual non-factor) and bad coaching. I think '08 Kobe might work pretty well because he did his best job as a playmaker and all around player while still easily averaging 28-30 per game within the flow of the offense. Kobe doesn't enough credit for how much better he made his teammates that year. And not only was his individual defense very good that year, but he was a leader at that end. Wouldn't solve all of their problems, but I see Howard and or Gasol being a little more involved, and everyone more engaged defensively.

How much better was he at his peak offensively than he is now? Well by 2006-2008, he had essentially the same skills, but with much more athleticism and stamina. Kobe's stamina has been impressive, but I don't trust him as much to hold up for the entire year carrying this load due to age, injuries and mileage. Kobe in '06 on the otherhand played 41 mpg and averaged 35 ppg taking 27 FGA and 10 FTA. That's just remarkable.

Tough to compare him and Durant as scorers. Kobe is the better volume scorer, but Durant is more consistent. I'm hesitant to say we've seen anyone who has been a better scorer than Kobe since Jordan.

He'd be comparable to Lebron and Durant. I might put him between the 2, but he'd be right up there. You'd be able to make the case that he's the best in the league.

Local High School Star

easily the best as he is now.

I think there's a case for an earlier period of time (some set of seasons from 01-05) being his prime, depending on how much you value defense.

I think he'd be the best player. I think 2002/03 Kobe played better and was just about as good in talent. I think either of those guys is the best player in the league.

It'd be interesting to see that Kobe on a team with this much quality, when he is at his absolute best. I wonder if he takes a lot of games off tho. He was doing that even in 2008/09, on a team that won 65 games in the West.

Kobe is most certainly a better player than Kevin Durant. By a lot. As far as scoring, he's the best scorer since Jordan. Durant, I would agree, is much more consistent. Of the true elite of the elite scorers I've seen, he has the best jumpshot. His jumpshot is ridiculous. And he's such a smart off-the ball player...a SG who stands near 6'11.

But Kobe has a higher volume and a higher impact. He might have cold games, like the Barry Sanders of scorers. But his impact was too good. I prefer the way he played in 2003, tho I find it hard to argue that he wasn't more talented after.

His jumpshot is not better than it's ever been. His IQ is higher but he's always going out of his way to prove himself, so it doesn't show. And his handles are nowhere near as good as they used to be. That's the one skill that's really deteriorated.

And lastly, Kobe was an incredible athlete. Lebron is more forceful, but he's not very far ahead. The body is where Lebron really wins. But Kobe is a smarter player and more skilled. And when he's locked in there isn't anyone as good as he is. The problem with him is that, despite that Black Mamba mentality, he is not always locked in and he can be petulant.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 01-20-2013 at 02:55 PM.