Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #9 - John Stockton vs. Walt Frazier

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
    Make your arguments here for the next 48 hours on rather John Stockton or Walt Frazier should advance and continue to move higher on the list. Put the players name you are voting for in BOLD so I don't miss it when I tally. The loser of this poll will be ranked #10 in our project.

Only members listed on the project roster will have their votes counted. Anyone may add their opinion and or argument as long as it's constructive. Our roster is now finalized. If you like the project and think you can make it better please add your opinion. If you;d like to join in the forwards, centers or all-time top 67 project, please let me know via PM. The Final Roster is listed below....

The Roster

L.Kizzle
    ThaSwagg3r
    Rose
    WillC
    G.O.A.T
    1987 Lakers
    neyca
    Toizumi
    Shaqattack3234
    Magnax1
    RobertdeMeijer
    iamgine
    nycelt84
    KGMN
    SteveNashMVPcro

Crossover (added after initial vote)
    bizil (added after initial vote)
    Boston C's (added at #20)
    Gotterdammerung (added at #17)
    SuperPippen (added at #14)
    Big164 (added at #13)
    PTB Fan (added at #13)
    Droid101 (added at #11)
    D.J. (added at #11)
    Miller for 3 (added at #10)
    Odinn (added at #9)
    OmniStrife (added at #9)
    HylianNightmare (added at #9)
    Pushxx (added at #9)
    MasterDurant24 (added at #9)
    Clippersfan86 (added at #9)

ThaRegul8r (contributor)
    NugzHeat3 (contributor)
    Psileas (contributor)
    Kblaze8855 (contributor)
    alexandreben (contributor)
    EricForman (contributor)

[/FONT]

19 seasons
    11x all-NBA
    11x all-star
    5x all-defensive
    9x Assists Leader
    2x Steals Leader
    1993 ASG MVP
    1st All-time in Assists
    1st All-time in Steals
    Played 82 games in 16 of 18 possible seasons

Votes (11)
    Clippersfan86
    magnax1
    Odinn
    iamgine
    nycelt84
    Big 164
    Droid101
    WillC
    RobertdeMeijer
    SuperPippen
    Boston C's

13 seasons
    6x all-NBA
    7x all-star
    6x all-defensive
    2x NBA Champion (1970 & 1973)
    1975 ASG MVP
    Averaged 18-8-10 in 1970 Finals; had 39 points and 9 assists in game seven
    Averaged 22-7-7 in the playoffs from 1969-1974 while Knicks were title contenders

Votes (12)
    ThaSwagg3r
    Shaqattack3234
    1987_Lakers
    D.J.
    bizil
    Gotterdammerung
    SteveNashMVPcro
    MasterDurant24
    Miller for 3
    G.O.A.T
    L. Kizzle
    ThaRegula8r

Last edited by G.O.A.T; 09-18-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #9 - John Stockton vs. Walt

Definitely Stockton. I'm not going to pretend I saw Walt play (none of us have probably) but based on limited footage, stats, achievements all favor Stockton (besides his lack of rings of course). My vote counts this round right G.O.A.T?
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 09-15-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Just read the damn intro post. Your named is listed home slice.

Banned

Stockton I'll explain more later, but I'm kind of multitasking right now. All I have to really say is that when people talk about Walt, they always seem to only point out his best games, which were great, but never really point out what his average game was like. Which were never terribly fantastic to me. I mean, what is he really? Just a better version of Payton (not skill set, but impact wise) who I wouldn't consider terribly close to Stockton.
    Walt probably won't get his full credit in this thread because of the amount of people who watched him, but I'll still take Stockton.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Just read the damn intro post. Your named is listed home slice.
    K cool. I saw it... but was more or less verifying because I thought I'd be in last round and didn't get in.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

I will vote tommorrow but I suspect this will be another Stockton blow out

Default Re: ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #9 - John Stockton vs. Walt Frazier

This is actually a good match-up.

I think the only thing that Stockton has on Clyde is passing. Clyde was probably even a better shooter. Clyde was the better scorer and defender.

As a pure point guard, Stockton was better, but as a player (over even just a guard) you gotta go with Frazier. So that's really what it boils down to, are we picking the better guard or the better point guard (totally different?)

There personnel accolades are about even (All-Stars and All-NBA's give or take a few more for Stockton.) Walt has 2 titles and Stockton had two records.

Most of us werent even born when Walt played, but I bet we could name more players from his Knicks squad than Stocktons Jazz. Earl the pearl, Phil Jackson, Jerry Lucas, Willis reed.

This is definitely one Im going to wait on, dont wanna make the same mistake I did with Kidd/Nash.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Walt "Clyde" Frazier gets my vote.

Walt Frazier was the most underrated PG to ever play IMO. I have Walt over Stockton for the same reason why I have Isiah over Stockton. The two championship rings and because of his ability to close out a game. Walt was a flat out better scorer than Stockton was. Walt has had numerous 20+ ppg seasons while Stockton has had none. No Walt may not have averaged as many apg as Stockton did either and he may not have been as good of a passer. However, the advantage that Frazier has on scoring is bigger IMO especially the ability to close out a game. Frazier also has the edge defensively, Frazier also gets left out as being one of the greatest defenders of all-time frequently. I would argue that Frazier was arguably the best defensive PG to ever play the game, yes above Payton and certainly as hell above both Stockton and Kidd.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stockton wins due to longevity......but he really shouldn't. Stockton gets really overrated in that aspect and he gets really overrated for being this "pure PG." This "pure PG" talk is overrated in my opinion. How many "pure pass-first PGs" have actually won a championship?

7-time NBA All-Star

Walt Frazier

I obviously haven't seen as much of Walt as I have of Stockton, but I do know that he was a good offensive guard and considered one of the best defensive guards ever.

I'm not sure I'd rank either this highly(partially due to the fact that I'm always less sure of my opinions on players before my time such as Walt), but given what he accomplished such as the 2 rings, his big game 7 performance in the 1970 finals and the fact that he probably should have been the 1970 finals MVP, I have less of a problem with Walt being ranked this high than Stockton.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

I'll contribute to the discussion and make my vote tomorrow, but I think this will be a pretty tough decision, if only for Frazier's bad-ass muttonchops.

Those chops have got to give him at least 1,000,000,000 intangible points.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

This is Walt Frazier all the way. Fraizer in his prime was considered a top 3-5 player in the league & he was winning championships as the main man. Stockton was never on the level Frazier was.

I actually see Frazier as one of the most underrated PGs & Stockton as one of the most overrated.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 09-16-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Walt "Clyde" Frazier gets my vote.

Walt Frazier was the most underrated PG to ever play IMO. I have Walt over Stockton for the same reason why I have Isiah over Stockton. The two championship rings and because of his ability to close out a game. Walt was a flat out better scorer than Stockton was. Walt has had numerous 20+ ppg seasons while Stockton has had none. No Walt may not have averaged as many apg as Stockton did either and he may not have been as good of a passer. However, the advantage that Frazier has on scoring is bigger IMO especially the ability to close out a game. Frazier also has the edge defensively, Frazier also gets left out as being one of the greatest defenders of all-time frequently. I would argue that Frazier was arguably the best defensive PG to ever play the game, yes above Payton and certainly as hell above both Stockton and Kidd.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stockton wins due to longevity......but he really shouldn't. Stockton gets really overrated in that aspect and he gets really overrated for being this "pure PG." This "pure PG" talk is overrated in my opinion. How many "pure pass-first PGs" have actually won a championship?
    You could insert Clyde's name with Payton, almost identical. And GP is what four spots back? But I guess the difference is those two titles Clyde has at his peak/prime.

I think the reason Clyde didn't average a lot of assist cause he was on of the most unselfish teams ever. Just watching the few games of his I've seen and the highlights, he could get to the basket and/or get a shot anytime he wanted. He could have averaged way more than the 21 and 6 he got at his peak. His teams were just so unselfish.

Also, dude was just smooth as hell (on and off the court.) Of course, he got his style was playground legend Pee Wee Kirkland (and possibly some moves too.)

you are kidding right? i am a knicks fan, even i dont think Clyde is better than Stock. stockton is a top3 pg ever.

5-time NBA All-Star

Frazier one of a very few franchise players in the 70's. And the lead part of one of the best teams ever.