Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default What is with the Scottie Pippen obsession on this board?

Scottie is actually my favorite player but I have made ZERO THREADS on him...oh I"ve responded to more then a few and gotten into discussions about him, but why does he keep coming up? More then half of you aren't even fans that make threads about him...and frankly to make a thread just to hate on a player is a pathetic gesture. I guess as a fan I should take the position that any publicity is good publicity but it pisses me off to see him brought up just so you idiots can belittle him or raise up your own player.

If you can't bring up Jordan or Lebron without bringing up Scottie Pippen then you frankly have very little basketball know how to begin with. It's embarrassing how both of you fans or haters bring up this man. His accomplishments stand on their own and he doesn't need you fan boys (for other players) or haters screwing up his legacy.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 09-14-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Banned

Default Re: What is with the Scottie Pippen obsession on this board?

Didn't read because its a cool story bro.

Three Things

1) Good stats and resume - had the all-around game, that attracts an elemnt of people.

2) Jordan's sidekick. If your a Jordan lover or hater you need to tear Pippen down or build him up.

3) Kobe Fans - These sickening creatures want to make Pippen as great as possible to explain why Kobe is better than MJ.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Three Things

1) Good stats and resume - had the all-around game, that attracts an elemnt of people.

2) Jordan's sidekick. If your a Jordan lover or hater you need to tear Pippen down or build him up.

3) Kobe Fans - These sickening creatures want to make Pippen as great as possible to explain why Kobe is better than MJ.

Indeed. It just sickens me the way things have gone. To chant Scottie Pippen at lebron is supposed to be an insult? To be the greatest perimeter defender of all time, one of the greatest all around players, and a top 30-40 of all time player of all time is an insult? There is something wrong with sport fans when chanting a great players name to another player is supposed to be an insult to him.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Three Things

Most of it is a result of no.3.

Only reason it appears as tho MJ fans tear him apart is because Kobe fans (MJ haters) build him up as something that he aint. Pip is def a top 50 of all time HOF player, one of the most versatile players and defenders of all time, but they make him seem as tho he was on the same level as MJ or other greats.

Bill Simmons' 'pyramid' level is a good measuring stick at ranking players.

Kobe fans (MJ haters) build him up as being at the top of the pyramid, when in fact he wasn't, and is properly ranked by Simmons.

Now... I've been accused as being a Pip hater because I stated what was the truth. But again, it was only in response to Kobe fans (MJ haters).

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Indeed. It just sickens me the way things have gone. To chant Scottie Pippen at lebron is supposed to be an insult? To be the greatest perimeter defender of all time, one of the greatest all around players, and a top 30-40 of all time player of all time is an insult? There is something wrong with sport fans when chanting a great players name to another player is supposed to be an insult to him.
    Totally agree with this. That was classless. Same thing with all the "bald headed Dominique" references.

What frustrates me most is when people call him overrated and then refer to his career stats. Career stats should never be used when comparing player cuz they're extremely decieving.

As an example, kareem abdul-jabaars career ppg avg is 24.6. Paul pierce is 22.2. You gonna tell me paul pierce is is on par with jabaar offensively? Pippens ppg would be much higher had he

1. Not played behind jordan his whole career

2. Play limited minutes in his first few 2 years and last 2-3 years. Scottie pippen at his best was a 20/8/6 player on good efficiency and arguably the greatest perimeter defender ever.

To every Kobe ******ger who brings him up, just agree and respond with a Pippen>Kobe remark.

MJ is the GOAT and Pippen is the GOAT sidekick

simple...

Jordan stans always point out how much help any other top 5 player had...and try to make it seem like MJ carried scrubs to 6 titles...

When anyone points out how great Pippen was (or any of MJ's HOF teammates) then they attack and say Pippen was overrated and could never be a franchise star without MJ.

even though everything points out just the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    simple...

Jordan stans always point out how much help any other top 5 player had...and try to make it seem like MJ carried scrubs to 6 titles...

When anyone points out how great Pippen was (or any of MJ's HOF teammates) then they attack and say Pippen was overrated and could never be a franchise star without MJ.

example of #3 in it's embryonic stages...

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    simple...

Misleading.

The truth is, Kobe stans warp reality.

Yes everybody needs a great sidekick to win, but Kobe WAS the sidekick, while MJ wasn't. Even then, the disparity between MJ and Pip is greater than that of other great players and their teammates.

Except of course, between Shaq and Kobe.

Shaq and Kobe's disparity was bigger, since Shaq outperformed Kobe greater.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    What frustrates me most is when people call him overrated and then refer to his career stats. Career stats should never be used when comparing player cuz they're extremely decieving.

As an example, kareem abdul-jabaars career ppg avg is 24.6. Paul pierce is 22.2. You gonna tell me paul pierce is is on par with jabaar offensively? Pippens ppg would be much higher had he

1. Not played behind jordan his whole career

2. Play limited minutes in his first few 2 years and last 2-3 years. Scottie pippen at his best was a 20/8/6 player on good efficiency and arguably the greatest perimeter defender ever.
    Awful example. KAJ played for 20 seasons, while PP has played for 13 years. If PP gets up to 20 seasons his average will drop to below 17.

Three Things

But what did he say that was off base?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Awful example. KAJ played for 20 seasons, while PP has played for 13 years. If PP gets up to 20 seasons his average will drop to below 17.
    Actually that's his point. When the average poster or fan compares career stats they do not take into consideration context such as role, system, and number of seasons played. They just look at the raw stats and compare.