Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Drazen Petrovic appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    I've also heard that the 112-pointer was not achieved against senior players. I mean, the final score was 158-77. There's something completely fishy in this, don't you think? I would understand if we were talking about a 158-154 game.
    In Wilt Chamberlains 100 point game the score was 169-147, 22 point blowout... Drazens team did the same but Olimpija could not recover and gave up, opposing starters went to the bench early in the 2nd half, by that time Drazen had 85 points ("seniors not playing", they didnt play as you can see later indeed, but thats not the entire story, it was more like "butthurt seniors/starters walking with their heads down to the bench" because of Drazen, it was all because of Drazen and that humiliating outcome)............. Drazens team never took the foot of the gaspedal ofensively or defensively, it was a Yugoslavian Professional League (S.F.R.J.) game...

I read that in a book of Drazen Petrovic by Mario Zorko, Drazen said he was offended/insulted that game by the players, once he already killed them and they gave up he decided to squeeze the dagger harder and ended up with 112.... It was 60 FG attempts for gods sake, why didnt he take that many before/after that playing worse teams? No my friend, this guy was on fire... and angry...

No matter how you look at it, Drazen was not bad... he was a "baaaad man" against opposing players, but not bad player lol.. :)
    Last edited by pauk; 10-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Decent playground baller

Some great info here, thanks :)

For me the best international player ever.

Pauk, I don't know about the book, but that's not what this site says:

http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Sport...t35292.lt.html

It says the opponents' oldest player was 18, all the others were 16-17 and their normal players didn't play at all, because they were "unlicensed". After all, the score at halftime was 77-34, and I doubt a normal Smelt team would have such a half. Even if your story was true, how many teens did Smelt bring with them and had them form a starting 5 in the 2nd half? And why bring so many teens with you, if you are a serious, competitive team?

Please, don't bring up Wilt's 100-pointer. We know that Wilt actually faced a grown-up men's team.

He looks like Rick Kamla to me

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    In Wilt Chamberlains 100 point game the score was 169-147, 22 point blowout... Drazens team did the same but Olimpija could not recover and gave up, opposing starters went to the bench early in the 2nd half, by that time Drazen had 85 points ("seniors not playing", they didnt play as you can see later indeed, but thats not the entire story, it was more like "butthurt seniors/starters walking with their heads down to the bench" because of Drazen, it was all because of Drazen and that humiliating outcome)............. Drazens team never took the foot of the gaspedal ofensively or defensively, it was a Yugoslavian Professional League (S.F.R.J.) game...

I read that in a book of Drazen Petrovic by Mario Zorko, Drazen said he was offended/insulted that game by the players, once he already killed them and they gave up he decided to squeeze the dagger harder and ended up with 112.... It was 60 FG attempts for gods sake, why didnt he take that many before/after that playing worse teams? No my friend, this guy was on fire... and angry...

No matter how you look at it, Drazen was not bad... he was a "baaaad man" against opposing players, but not bad player lol.. :)
    I love Drazen, he's one of my favorite players ever. His combo of shooting, scoring, and passing skills was unparallelled in any other European player ever.

However, this stuff is just like the Wilt myths.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    I love Drazen, he's one of my favorite players ever. His combo of shooting, scoring, and passing skills was unparallelled in any other European player ever.

However, this stuff is just like the Wilt myths.
    Who would win in a 1-on-1 game between G-String (V-Span) and Drazen?

Local High School Star

Two years ago I have made a H2H of D. Petrovic against other SG (Jordan, Drexler, Dumars, Miller, Starks and so on) from early 90s. I took his final two seasons with NETS, because in his first two he was part time player with Blazers (after his 91 midseason move to NETS his playing time increase to 20 mpg, but still not sufficient and he did not started in any of the games till the end of the season).

So in his last two seasons he has better numbers than everybody except Jordan and Drexler in his H2H meetings. He generally outplayed Reggie Miller also, who is the closest one to him. In fact he kicked his ass in some games.
    I have also read an old article in which Reggie said of Drazen at the time and called him bad trash talker with an accent. And there was an info about how Drazen said to Reggie that he will make 3 consecutive shots over him and saying how exactly it will happen and he did it. Thats why Reggie consider him his all time nemezis and better shooter than him. Vary sad Drazen career was cut short by that terible incident in Germany. He was in his prime years and my personal view is that he could eclipse his numbers (had he stay alive or in NBA, since there were rumors of him moving to Greece dutring the summer he died).

About duels with Jordan (Bulls games, not Olympics) I noticed in youtube video that Drazen was guarded more often by Pippen, not Jordan and he scored a lot of his points outplaying Pippen and going for a lay up rather than scoring from outisde.

His last year in the NBA he made All NBA 3rd team but not the All Star Team.

He blamed it mostly on xenophobia. But I think if he did play in today's league, he would be perennial All Star.

RIP. First International great player in the NBA.

Local High School Star

I remember two other players who were volume and unstopable scorers in the international basketball like Nikos Galis (Greece) and Oscar Shmidt (Brazil) but never tried in NBA. Drazen tried and proved himself in NBA against the best.

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    I remember two other players who were volume and unstopable scorers in the international basketball like Nikos Galis (Greece) and Oscar Shmidt (Brazil) but never tried in NBA. Drazen tried and proved himself in NBA against the best.
    In the time that Schmidt and Galis would have been likely to come to the NBA, it wasn't allowed for pro players to play with their national teams. Back then the leagues they played in were classed as not fully pro so they could stay with their national team, but not if they played in the NBA.

When Drazen wanted to come to the NBA fully pro players were already allowed to play with their national teams.

So that's the reason why Schmidt and Galis never played in the NBA. Because it was not allowed back then for them to play in the NBA and play with their national teams.

I rule the local playground unknowns8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

It was more "countable" than Wilt Chamberlains 100 pts against that competition he had, i can tell you that...

From Drazens wiki-page:

Self-admittedly, Petrović needed new challenges, which Cibona and the Yugoslavian league could not offer.
    so even by Drazens standards, Wilts 100 was against better quality competition than Drazens 112

still, thanks for the great thread mate, i love drazens style and skills too and its nice to be reminded occasionally of how good he was so for that, I offer up a

Decent playground baller

I just saw ESPN's "30 for 30: Once Brothers" about Vlade Divac and his relationship with Drazen Petrovic. A very emotional and interesting story about friendship and friendship lost. Drazen was taken from us when he was about to reach the peak of his career. He could have been the greatest international player to play in the NBA.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    In the time that Schmidt and Galis would have been likely to come to the NBA, it wasn't allowed for pro players to play with their national teams. Back then the leagues they played in were classed as not fully pro so they could stay with their national team, but not if they played in the NBA.

When Drazen wanted to come to the NBA fully pro players were already allowed to play with their national teams.

So that's the reason why Schmidt and Galis never played in the NBA. Because it was not allowed back then for them to play in the NBA and play with their national teams.
    Yes, I am aware of that fact - just saying that they did not try it. Galis was injured during pre-season with Celtics and was not offered a contract after his college career. The remarkable about him is that he broke through US basketball system as he was born in US, I mean tougher competition. So if Celtics had offered him a contract he probably would need to wait untill 1992 Olympics in order to play for Greece.

Reggie Miller said Drazen never showered before they played so he'd stink while he guarded him. That's dedication

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

John Starks injured Kenny Anderson either in playoffs or last game of season...then Petro died in the offseason

Nets really never recovered until Kidd got there...