Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Default Re: leonard in 1st preseason game

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
    I'm a Spurs fan, and a big Kawhi Leonard fan. But I just don't see him averaging 20+ ppg this season. That's just not his game, that's not what the Spurs need from him right now. I would say that Kawhi would need to play around 34-35 mpg to get 20. No one on this team played more than 29 mpg this past season, and Pop did that purposely. He isn't gonna mess with that formula unless he needs to. The year Kawhi averages 20 ppg will be a struggle year for the Spurs.
    agreed. this pretty much sums up why Kawhi wont be a 20ppg scorer...and when he does become one, it will be a struggle year for the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    That was last year... This year he surpasses Melo...

And at best, if he drops an efficient 20/8 AND dpoty defense, who's to say he can't beat out KD?
    Leonard is being overrated at times. He caught fire in the finals.

He won't ever be as good as Melo or Durant IMO.

He is a solid second/third option offensive player and a very good defender.

As long as the team wins, it's all pretty irrelevant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    agreed. this pretty much sums up why Kawhi wont be a 20ppg scorer...and when he does become one, it will be a struggle year for the Spurs.

Yulp barring any major changes to his game I still think a team that needs kawhi to score 25+ points a game is a team that isn't competing. Sure he will give you spurts of that when needed but I think he's always going to be a second\third option on scoring while contributing a lot more on other aspects of the game. I really like kawhi, in some ways a player who contributes like he does and gets his baskets in the flow without needing many plays run for him is more valuable than someone who will just score.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-train

This makes a lot of fans mad with gray-haired old man Fresco when I say it.
    But I said it before the playoffs last spring when I started seriously studying the Spurs; said it again before the Finals; and I'm still saying it.

* Leonard is better than Anthony now. Anthony is a scoring player that adds little/nothing to his teams, and he's always been that way.

* Leonard is as good at or better than both Anthony or Durant at every single aspect of basketball except scoring with the ball in his hands.

* Unless something changes with Kevin Durant, that's where it will stand this season, just like it did last year. Durant still has vast room for improvement. So we'll see.

* Anthony is what he is, no more and no less. An unstoppable, ball-dominant scorer, a team spirit destroyer and a coach-killer at the level of Elvin Hayes - which is the worst I ever saw. Maybe Phil Jackson can turn that around, I dunno. I hope so. P Jax played with some guys like that in his Knicks playing career, and he also succeeded in turning Michael Jordan around.

Kawhi Leonard plays in the pocket at all times, does just what his team needs without ever going overboard/grandstanding, moves at all times only at the speed and intensity required and no more(truly an amazing ability), plays according to his coach and his team and to no inner vanity... and that, my friend, makes him one of the most dangerous players on an NBA court.
    Last edited by La Frescobaldi; 10-13-2014 at 07:56 PM.

I rule the local playground bukowski81's Avatar

YES.... Kawhi can become a Scottie Pippen like player with less playmaking..

As a Spurs fan you should know that the potential has always been there. He's just holding back.. He does exactly what the team wants/needs. Now, you don't think he's going to be more agressive and take a larger role, especially after what we saw in the Finals? Dude had three straight 20+ point games... In the finals.... On like 11.5 FGA

This guy scored 29 on 77% (13 FGA), 20 on 58% (12 FGA), and 22 on 70% (10 FGA).......

So yes, I think he can average 20 in the regular season.

Edit: Not trolling - This year: Kawhi > Melo

Y'all are too obsessed with fancy stats and ppg... Kawhi brings more to the table. He's simply a better basketball player.
    He had those numbers because he isnt the focus of the defense, he isnt even the second or third priority of the opposing teams defense.

One of the main differences of the Spurs versus other teams is that they take advantage of things like that and trust their guys, while on the majority of the other teams the stars will take most shots regardles of how they are defending them.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bukowski81
    He had those numbers because he isnt the focus of the defense, he isnt even the second or third priority of the opposing teams defense.

One of the main differences of the Spurs versus other teams is that they take advantage of things like that and trust their guys, while on the majority of the other teams the stars will take most shots regardles of how they are defending them.
    yeah. this right here. the Spurs are a real team through and through.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Y'all are too obsessed with fancy stats and ppg... Kawhi brings more to the table.
    This. Man ish has a major obsession with stats.....

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

he get better and better everthing year,he caught fires in the finals,hv u ever watch 2013 finals,avg double double against the heat

Quote Originally Posted by bukowski81

spurs will repeat this year

heat fans still mad they almost sweep by the spurs

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    This makes a lot of fans mad with gray-haired old man Fresco when I say it.
    But I said it before the playoffs last spring when I started seriously studying the Spurs; said it again before the Finals; and I'm still saying it.

* Leonard is better than Anthony now. Anthony is a scoring player that adds little/nothing to his teams, and he's always been that way.

* Leonard is as good at or better than both Anthony or Durant at every single aspect of basketball except scoring with the ball in his hands.

* Unless something changes with Kevin Durant, that's where it will stand this season, just like it did last year. Durant still has vast room for improvement. So we'll see.

* Anthony is what he is, no more and no less. An unstoppable, ball-dominant scorer, a team spirit destroyer and a coach-killer at the level of Elvin Hayes - which is the worst I ever saw. Maybe Phil Jackson can turn that around, I dunno. I hope so. P Jax played with some guys like that in his Knicks playing career, and he also succeeded in turning Michael Jordan around.

Kawhi Leonard plays in the pocket at all times, does just what his team needs without ever going overboard/grandstanding, moves at all times only at the speed and intensity required and no more(truly an amazing ability), plays according to his coach and his team and to no inner vanity... and that, my friend, makes him one of the most dangerous players on an NBA court.
    Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. Replace Melo with Kawhi and the Knicks win 10 games last year.

The gap between Durant and Kawhi is massive. Durant is the second best player in the league, was the best in the regular season last year. Kawhi is just a role player who got hot. I think like 60% of his shots were assisted.

And yes, I called Kawhi a role player.

Check out his stats in the first, second, and third round. You need a special kind of team (the spurs) to produce that much (little) and advance. Well not really if you are a role player.

Say what you want about Melo, but it's not like he's ever been put on a team that chuggs like the Spurs. It's insulting say Kawhi surpassed him, especially after the necessary difference he is called on to produce compared to Kawhi. Who getting 20 points is considered a good day. You think Melo could do what Kawhi does, give you about 15/7/3 and play defense and win games on any of his teams? No.
    Last edited by navy; 10-14-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    I think Leonard can only be a 17-20 PPG player even if given 35 minutes a game, that's only because he actually plays defense. I'm talking about Tony Allen tight defense nearly every possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul George 24
    never say never
    He didn't say never.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. Replace melo with kawhi and the knicks win 10 games last year.

The gap between Durant an Kawhi is massive. Durant is the secon best player in the league, was the best in the regular season last year. Kawhi is just a role player who got hot. I think like 60% of his shots were assisted.

leflop's fans still stay saltly

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. Replace melo with kawhi and the knicks win 10 games last year.

The gap between Durant and Kawhi is massive. Durant is the second best player in the league, was the best in the regular season last year. Kawhi is just a role player who got hot. I think like 60% of his shots were assisted.

heat fans still mad

There was literally no anger in my post, just truth. And I was sticking up for Melo and Durant lol. Quit being dumb, although Im not sure I've seen a post that shows you are capable of that.