Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller Amar'e_Juwanna's Avatar

Default This board refuses to respect Carmelo Anthony

They use stats, playoff records, and rhetoric to define melo as a player who is incapable of winning a chip (or at least leading a team to a championship). One thing is for sure: he is not Kevin Durant.

Carmelo is a scorer who needs to play within a system to be as effective as he can be, and who has trouble doing so (at least with the current Knicks team) because nobody else seems to be able to take the lead. Look at Durant without Westbrook: he can't do it by himself. Even people who say Melo is the lesser scorer have to respect what he has done for this year's Knicks without a legitimate #2. (Btw, JR was definitely legit post All-Star break, but he is still mercurial: thus the post-season woes and general Knicks fan anguish).

Hello, NBA scoring title?

An interesting question is whether or not any player wants to win that particular title. Expending so much energy during the regular season, which by many ISH accounts matters for naught, seems to contribute greatly towards the amount that one can achieve in the post-season. Basketball is a game of runs, BOTH IN THE PERSONAL AND COLLECTIVE SENSE. Carmelo's fault is apparently that he does not seem to recognize the collective situation in which he is most effective. However, the observer has to recognize how little his team has done for him so far this post-season.

I'm not expecting to initiate any change in terms of the views of the larger ISH community. But I think that any real basketball fan who has paid any attention to Carmelo's 2012-2013 season recognizes the steps he has made towards being a more TEAM- and WIN-oriented player. This man does not play for stats, and he truly cares about winning. Countless hockey assist plays will testify to that. Denying this fact is merely an admission of a blindered opinion.

Whether he has the guts to lead the Knicks past the Pacers is an entirely different story. Being a Knicks fan, I have no choice but to support him and the rest of my team as they attempt to even the series tomorrow.

National High School Star

Default Re: This board refuses to respect Carmelo Anthony

hes chucking too much and not a playmaker like durant/lebron/kobe.. you cant dispute that.

melos good but the way hes playing he aint a superstar like those 3 so stop putting him on that level.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Its mainly cuz he's on tha new york knicks, thats why.

Is his legacy even really all that great anyway?

If he never wins a championship he'll never really be in that top-tier all-time. Like can't be top 30 or 40. Almost everybody in that range has a ring, and if you don't you were really fvcking good like Barkley or Iverson or Malone. Guys who got their team to the finals. Melo has really done too much in the playoffs. Like he's got scoring title(s) but so does Adrian Dantley I think and nobody talks about him like they do the legends. Melo's got a lot of work to do still if he wants to have a noteworthy legacy

Banned

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by MetsPackers
    Is his legacy even really all that great anyway?

If he never wins a championship he'll never really be in that top-tier all-time. Like can't be top 30 or 40. Almost everybody in that range has a ring, and if you don't you were really fvcking good like Barkley or Iverson or Malone. Guys who got their team to the finals. Melo has really done too much in the playoffs. Like he's got scoring title(s) but so does Adrian Dantley I think and nobody talks about him like they do the legends. Melo's got a lot of work to do still if he wants to have a noteworthy legacy
    Why are you guys concerned with Carmelo Anthony's legacy as a player!?? Are you a fan of the player, or a fan of the TEAM!?

He is the most talented player on a team. A talented team. Of course basketball is the sport where the individual talent shines the most but STILL: no player can win a championship by himself. End of story.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

MarshMelo hasn't earned my respect. He's only ever gotten out of the first round once before this year, he Melodrama'd his way out of Denver, and is yet to accomplish anything truly worth noting in his New York days other than a scoring title. I need more out of him for him to earn my respect. Beating the Heat would definitely do that.

21% on layups

Needless to say more

Carmelo has a legacy?

ok, so nobody is going to respond to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Carmelo has a legacy?
    yep. its giving a fcuk and not flopping.

(to myself) i should really ignore/block this dude. i should really learn how to ignore/block someone on this board...

National High School Star

Lots of players aren't respected by posters on internet basketball message boards, so I find it kind of funny when some people whine about their favorite player not being respected. Especially seeing how more often than not, said poster has disrespected some other player. I find the selectivity odd.

Melo & Dwight will never win a ring. Smiling little bitches. Maybe CP3 might not either but at least he has heart.

all he has to do is go the lebron path. Go join another top player and another all star. He'll get a ring in no time. People will view him as an all-time great too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Lots of players aren't respected by posters on internet basketball message boards, so I find it kind of funny when some people whine about their favorite player not being respected. Especially seeing how more often than not, said poster has disrespected some other player. I find the selectivity odd.
    please point me out to my disrespect towards another player? you'll find that since I registered, I have only posted supportive posts of the
    Knicks, perhaps semi-insulting trollposts in obvious sarcastic tones towards fans of opposing teams, and posts that attempt to point out the incredible bias on this website in hopes to inspire discussion about basketball. I never played organized ball, and I want to hear what other people have to say. I want to learn, to be able to articulate why my team is losing or winning.

The 2nd section of posts, the trolling kind, are of a vast minority. I don't post very often. (I miss open layups)