Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Connor B's Avatar

Default CP3 is not a top 5 player nor is he the best PG in the league.

I want a rational, non trolling explanation as to why anyone thinks Chris Paul is a top 5 player or the top PG in the league. Most agree that he isn't, but there are some out there, including the media itself, who insist that he is and I cannot understand it at all. Let me be clear: He is a a great player and he is a star, but he is not a superstar and there are several franchise players I would take over him in the "starting a team" scenario. It has gotten ridiculous the amount of adulation this guy gets for seemingly no tangible reasons.

Let me put it this way: if he were the best PG, and one of the 5 best players in the NBA, wouldn't his Clippers team have made it out of the second round? Instead, he choked away game 5 by trying to draw a backcourt 3-point foul against Westbrook and got the ball stolen. That foul review crap aside, Paul made several mistakes in that crucial game. I'm not hating, we all saw the same thing. He was, in general, outplayed by Westbrook in that game. Is that a top 3-5 player? **** no.

Players that I would currently take over CP3 for a team: Westbrook, Durant, Lebron, Griffin, Anthony Davis, Curry, Damian Lillard, Aldridge, Tony Parker, Rondo, Love, and probably more I can't think of right now.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Default Re: CP3 is not a top 5 player nor is he the best PG in the league.

The question is who would you take over him. I don't think he's top 5, but he has a case. Main reason I don't have him there anymore is because I haven't seen him take over a game like a top 5 player would for a couple seasons now.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B
    I want a rational, non trolling explanation as to why anyone thinks Chris Paul is a top 5 player or the top PG in the league. Most agree that he isn't, but there are some out there, including the media itself, who insist that he is and I cannot understand it at all. Let me be clear: He is a a great player and he is a star, but he is not a superstar and there are several franchise players I would take over him in the "starting a team" scenario. It has gotten ridiculous the amount of adulation this guy gets for seemingly no tangible reasons.

Let me put it this way: if he were the best PG, and one of the 5 best players in the NBA, wouldn't his Clippers team have made it out of the second round? Instead, he choked away game 5 by trying to draw a backcourt 3-point foul against Westbrook and got the ball stolen. That foul review crap aside, Paul made several mistakes in that crucial game. I'm not hating, we all saw the same thing. He was, in general, outplayed by Westbrook in that game. Is that a top 3-5 player? **** no.

Players that I would currently take over CP3 for a team: Westbrook, Durant, Lebron, Griffin, Anthony Davis, Curry, Damian Lillard, Aldridge, Tony Parker, Rondo, Love, and probably more I can't think of right now.

You think lillard is better than cp3? What does he do better? I also dont agree with rondo and aldridge but i can atleast understand the arguement.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Let me put it this way: if he were the best PG, and one of the 5 best players in the NBA, wouldn't his Clippers team have made it out of the second round?
    Equal and better players than Chris Paul have taken more talent and lost in the first and second round with it. If you need to ask who I mean its clear you have little knowledge of history with which to make the "If ___ were ___ then he wouldn't ____" claim to begin with.

All these topics ever are....is people who have a small basketball case to make so they resort to what is basically trivia.

I don't care if you find Paul top 5 or not. I don't care about arbitrary top ____ rankings that act like multiples of 5 or 10 are significant breaks in basketball rankings. Its nothing to me.

What is something to me...is a sound basketball explanation. If you cant explain why all these people are better using between the lines ball in play basketball skills your opinion means next to nothing to me.

And it seems none of you EVER do so when making some "Chris paul isn't ____" argument. Which is very telling.

If you cant explain it...why should I take you serious?

And if you can explain it....why not do that instead of making false assumptions about what top ____ players do that ignores 70 years of top ___ players not doing it time and again?

Like Paul losing to the MVP and Westbrook in disappointing fashion matters but Kareem and Magic taking 2 additional all stars and a DPOY to a second round loss to the MVP and Calvin Murphy...on a 40 win team at that...doesn't.

Chris Paul might not be top 5. He might not be top 10. Whatever.

The way you and others go about explaining it is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Connor B

Why is it people want serious discussion but then go full retard in their post?

Honestly we could have a perfect discussion about CP3's placement but not if you arent going to discuss or debate honestly. There is no point now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Equal and better players than Chris Paul have taken more talent and lost in the first and second round with it. If you need to ask who I mean its clear you have little knowledge of history with which to make the "If ___ were ___ then he wouldn't ____" claim to begin with.

All these topics ever are....is people who have a small basketball case to make so they resort to what is basically trivia.

I don't care if you find Paul top 5 or not. I don't care about arbitrary top ____ rankings that act like multiples of 5 or 10 are significant breaks in basketball rankings. Its nothing to me.

What is something to me...is a sound basketball explanation. If you cant explain why all these people are better using between the lines ball in play basketball skills your opinion means next to nothing to me.

And it seems none of you EVER do so when making some "Chris paul isn't ____" argument. Which is very telling.

And if you can explain it....why not do that instead of making false assumptions about what top ____ players do that ignores 70 years of top ___ players not doing it time and again?

Like Paul losing to the MVP and Westbrook in disappointing fashion matters but Kareem and Magic taking 2 additional all stars and a DPOY to a second round loss to the MVP and Calvin Murphy...on a 40 win team at that...doesn't.

Kblaze ending a thread as usual.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Why is it people want serious discussion but then go full retard in their post?

Honestly we could have a perfect discussion about CP3's placement but not if you arent going to discuss or debate honestly. There is no point now.
    I don't think his claim is ridiculous at all. And of your bolded names, I take everyone except Rondo and Lilliard over him at this point.

Because he's one of the few players left that can efficiently run an offense, can score 20 and give you elite playmaking at the same time, can rebound better than most SG's, and can play solid defense in the reg season and the playoffs.

YES he did **** up in that game and cost his team (wouldn't have mattered if the refereeing wasn't horrible) and deserves alot of criticism for it but that's still only one game. It's not like players greater than Paul haven't ****ed up in a similar fashion.

In terms of his lack of deep playoff runs, when has he lost to a team weaker than his?

The media thinks an 19/11/4 player who leads the league in assists and steals on one of the leagues best teams is a top 5 player, nothing ridiculous about that.

And why would you take Curry, Lillard, Aldridge, Rondo and Love above him when none of them got further in the playoffs last season? Doesn't make any sense. You're saying Paul is overrated because he didn't get far in the playoffs yet rank players who made it less further? lol

CP3 is the total package. Great perimeter defender. Controls the tempo of the game. Fantastic shooter. Amazing passer. Ferocious competitor.

In a league stacked with talented PG's, CP3 is clearly the best at the position.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Thirty seconds, final game of their series this year with OKC.

CP3 proved why he isn't the best PG in the game.

30 seconds , thats all it took.
    Last edited by HOoopCityJones; 08-28-2014 at 03:55 PM.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Well said about the "top 5" and "top 10" rankings nonsense. I agree with you 100% - people always focus on that, and it is the most irrelevant thing ever lol.

I personally believe CP3 is the best and most complete point guard in the NBA. Most point guards don't make a two-way impact like Paul, he is an absolute defensive pest and playmaker.

I think he overdribbles a lot, but it's because he's so good at creating. Nobody matches his prowess of a combination scorer/table setter. He runs an offense as well as anyone, creates for others as well as anyone, is an All-Defense 1st Teamer and is clearly one of the best scoring point guards in the league along with that. He's not a "great" 3-point shooter but he is a threat, and his mid-range/pull-up game makes him the most lethal pick n' roll point guard in the league. Everyone says this - "the pick n' roll game is the bread and butter of the NBA." CP is the most complete pick n' roll orchestrator out there.

He possesses big time leadership qualities, which at his level, you're either born with or not. I would summarize my thoughts like this:

I think there are better scorers than CP3 at the point guard position (such as Curry). I think there are equally skilled playmakers/table setters (such as Rondo). I think there are equal/better defensive point guards than CP3 (such as Beverly). There are equally impressive ball handlers (such as Irving). CP3 isn't the only great leader. There are people that produce equally impressive numbers.

But nobody combines all of those attributes to accumulate the same kind of impact as CP3 right now. There are some close calls, but I think CP3 is the best and most complete floor general in the game.

CP3 is a top 3 player and easily the best PG in the league

when players like Steph, Lillard, Westbrook, Parker, Kyrie and Goran want to start taking challenges and anchoring defenses we can talk about them being in CPs level.

when Wall can shoot and not be prone to be total shit on offense we can talk about it

Only one that has an argument over him is Westbrook. How you gonna take Curry, Parker, Rondo, Lilard when he is better than them in more than 2 categories.

His only weakness is over-dribbling and passive attitude at times. On paper he is definitely Top 5 player, and I say this as one of the biggest CP3 bashers on the forum.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

No other point is a leader like CP3 is on both sides of the ball and still produce like a top 3-5 player year in and year out. He's the best 1 in the league!

#1 in assists per game with 10.7, 1.9 ahead of second place John Wall.
    #1 in assists per turnover with 4.57. Pablo Prigoni is the second point guard with 3.80.
    #1 in steals per game with 2.48, .16 ahead of second place Rubio.
    #9 in steals per turnover (#1 among points) with 1.09. Livingston is #19/#2 among points with 0.89.
    #2 in steals per foul (#1 among points) with 0.98. CJ Watson is #7/#2 among points with 0.91.
    #3 among points in rebounds per (tied with Curry), grabbing 4.3. Behind Lowry & Carter-Williams.
    #3 among points in FG% (tied with Collison), behind Curry & Parker.
    #1 among points in Points Per Shot.
    #4 among points in Free Throw Attempts per game, behind Lawson, Westbrook & Thomas.
    #1 among points in Double-Doubles. 10 more than second place despite 20 less games.

Should I continue?