"Chelsea's Mystic Brewery is one of my favorite new breweries in the Boston area (look for a Q&A with founder Bryan Greenhagen in the Globe in a few weeks). Greenhagen got me all excited Thursday afternoon when he revealed that one of Mystic's new beers, which he calls Auerbach's Rauchbier, is indeed named after legendary Celtics coach Red Auerbach. It's not often I get the chance to combine my two coverage areas.

A rauchbier is a traditional German beer style noted for its unique smokiness. Auerbach, of course, was known for smoking victory cigars. Here's a description of the beer from the label:

[I]In the past, a common method in making beer was to dry malted grains over an open fire. This gave a smoked flavor to the beer. That tradition continues to this day in the rauchbiers of Germany. Just across the harbor from Mystic Brewery sits Boston, with its own tradition in the form of smoke. When it rose from the bench of the home team there you could rest assured; victory was at hand. Celebrate with Auerbach