Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: We might be seeing the "Steam Box" here soon

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Piston comes out November 29
    $999. whew. That's a lot. If Valve really wants to take over the living room, I hope they made the other models that they're working with/on cheaper. I know Valve pulled out of the Piston earlier this year but damn. Granted, the thing does look to be pretty upgradable.
    That is a high price tag. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to build a computer at that price?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    That is a high price tag. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to build a computer at that price?
    Sort of. I'm not a huge computer gamer. But you could probably make that for less than that I think. I'm sure Kungfro and Qwyjibo can tell you for sure. But it's main selling point is that you can easily upgrade the specs of it. And for a guy who's decent with computers, but is a bit skeptical on upgrading/building one himself it could work if they market it right.

I mean I'm interested in pc gaming, but I don't have 1000 to drop on a gaming computer. I was completely prepared to not get a console this generation and just go with a pc until I heard Valve backed out of the Piston. Glad I did because the price tag. Now if steam makes a steam box that's in the $500 range I might sell off my ps4 for it, if it makes financial sense.

EDIT: someone on the article said in theory you can build it for less already and listed the parts, but I don't know if you could make it that small though on your own.
    Last edited by Rose; 09-30-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Piston comes out November 29
    $999. whew. That's a lot. If Valve really wants to take over the living room, I hope they made the other models that they're working with/on cheaper. I know Valve pulled out of the Piston earlier this year but damn. Granted, the thing does look to be pretty upgradable.
    Take over the living room with something that is $600 more expensive than a console. Good luck with that strategy.

Prices and details of some got announced.
    http://kotaku.com/from-alienware-to-...-sp-1495960379