Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
the outsider
Kids at the park dunk on me

the outsider has an OK reputation so far
Default A deep look into the Pacers "problem"

There are just so many variables that are pertinent to the equation of the Indiana Pacers. I try to sit and think of what or who it was that triggered the downfall of one of the most respected franchises in the NBA, but there are to many factors to determine a specific time, place or person. I think as we will see here that the downfall of the organization was like a timed demolition, with major explosions crippling it layer by layer.

A brief look into the downfall, and what the future might hold.

Lets start with the

*1996-1997:
Quote:
"After seven straight postseason appearances, Indiana finished 39-43, out of the running in the Eastern Conference playoff picture"
Quote:
"Head Coach Larry Brown took much of the blame for the team's malaise upon himself, indicating that he had failed to get the
most out of his players. Brown, who won his 600th NBA game on January 7, resigned after the season, ending a four-year reign in which the Pacers twice advanced within one game of the NBA Finals. His departure paved the way for another Larry - NBA legend Larry Bird, the Indiana native named to replace Brown as the Pacers' coach in 1997-98."

*1997-1998: Pacers go to the Eastern Confrence Finals.

*1998-1999: Again with Bird they reach the ECF. Pacers trade Antonio davis for Raptors #5 pick the great "Jonathan Bender" and we all know that story.

*1999-2000: This year Bird coaches them to the finals, Bird joins retires from coaching and joins Walsh in the office. Rik Smits retires, chris mullins gets traded.

*2000-2001: Lord Isiah Thomas is new coach, Pacers lead by Reggie, and Jalen Rose, (JO arrives). Pacers are an eight seed carried almost soley by Reggie and get put out in the first by the 6er's.

*2001-2002: Pacers acquire Ron artest and Brad Miller, from the Bulls, JO starts to emerge, pacers get an eigth seed and put out in the ECF.

*2002-2003: Pacers start off great, but injuries, personal issues start to befall the Pacers team. and the finish w/o the post season. The Artest drama starts this year.

*2003-2004: Pacers lose Brad Miller, Isiah Thomas, but get Ric Carlisle. Lose to the pistons in the Eastern Confrence Finals. The players a mad about losing isiah, and Artest continues his antics. Larry Bird takes of GM role of Pacers with Walsh just helping.

*2004-2005: The fight happens and Reggie retires. J/O is the new face of the franchise. Out in the 2nd round.

*2005-2006: Artest demands a trade, J/O and tinsley both sit half the season with injuries and Sjax comes to town. Pacers are eliminated in the first round.

*2006-2007: Pacers lose Peja for nothing, sign Al Harrington, but then trade him and Sjax with some fillers for a promising Ike diogu that never pays off, Mike dunleavy who is a good 2nd or 3rd option, but essentially the same player as Danny Granger, and Troy Murphy, a injury-proned, soft big man. Also sign the often injured Marguis Daniels. Shawne Williams and David Harrison begin there behavioral problems as well. We also loose long time fav. Austin Croshere. Criminal Activity surges in the offseason for several players.

*2007-2008: Pacers continue to self destruct plaqued by injury, off court antics and underachieving players, pacers dont reach the playoffs.

*2008-2009: Pacers lead in low attendance, Dunleavy and Granger thrive, mostly in the absence of J.O J10 is injured alot. 29-41 to the day. And it looks as if we will be losing J/O for nothing in return, just like; Artest, Miller, Peja, Sjax. I hope that Walsh takes back over this offseason, bird was a great coach and player, but has yet to show us he can manage a front office. J/O is not a leader off or on the court, and threatens to poisin any good talent that comes into Indy with his lack of maturity and leadership. I hope they can seriously do something to help this team because i miss going to games. I miss Reggie most of all though, even to see him on the sidelines as a coach or assitant would be a leg of hope for the Pacers nation. Keep the players that want to play basketball and boot those that abuse there position.

Please comment or elaborate as seen fit.
the outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: A deep look into the Pacers "problem"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the outsider
*2004-2005: The fight happens and Reggie retires. J/O is the new face of the franchise. Out in the 2nd round.

*2005-2006: Artest demands a trade, J/O and tinsley both sit half the season with injuries and Sjax comes to town. Pacers are eliminated in the first round.

Jackson was instrumental in the fight. He went into the stands following Artest to hit people.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
the outsider
Kids at the park dunk on me

the outsider has an OK reputation so far

oh yeah sjax comes to town the previous year good eye and thnx!
the outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation

They were looking good the year of the fight.

They need to have a Blazers like exile of all their rubbish players.

I'd trade JO and Tinsley for anyone but there obviously won't be alot of takers at this stage,contracts are hard to move...Hey try the Knicks...Take Marbury and Lee for JO and Jamal and your on your way. But ring before Isiah gets axed.

Danny Granger is the man.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Mateo
Local High School Star

Mateo has not been impressing people

Pacers problems can be summarized with a picture:

Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

great post man, seriously.

Pacers are in a weird spot because it almost feels like rebuilding time but they have enough pieces that are ready NOW to make that not the right plan... I think JO's probably a goner, if he stays so much of the pacers success will rely on him getting out of the injury funk. Dunleavy and Granger are really solid players, it's hard to imagine Murph being the center on a championship team but his production is there and he's totally servicable. So the questions are what to do at the point, flip and diener are both totally capable back up points who can handle starting minutes but probably shouldn't. I haven't seen enough pacers games this year to make judgements beyond that, I'll leave that up to you diehards that are catching every game, but I do know that the east will be a similarly top heavy/bottom-weak conference next year and if you can either keep JO healthy or get some nice pieces in there for him and Tins, you should be able to finish top 5 in the east. Bring back Smits!
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
Wtf? So now we'll take up any contract? Please... I doubt Isiah would ever pull that move, especially seeing as him and Larry Bird are mortal enemies.

I was half joking...Forgot about the mortal enemies part though.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: