Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Would Wilt Chamberlain make an All-Star team if he played in the '90s?

Would he?

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Would Wilt Chamberlain make an All-Star team if he played in the '90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow

Would he?
    A better question would be...could Wilt dominate the MANY clods that manned the center positions on the 29 teams that played in the 90's...as much as he dominated his own peers, many of whom were HOFers?

Being a DOMINANT all-star for the 7-2 (and 7-3 in TODAY's measuring system), 285-300+ lb, 7-8 wingspan, college high-jump championship leaping ability, massive strength that has probably never been equalled in NBA history, with SPRINTER's speed, and a very good outside game, to go along with his variety of post moves...would be a foregone conclusion.

Default Re: Would Wilt Chamberlain make an All-Star team if he played in the '90s?

Would he?
    Over Hakeem, Robinson and Ewing? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    A better question would be...could Wilt dominate the MANY clods that manned the center positions on the 29 teams that played in the 90's...as much as he dominated his own peers, many of whom were HOFers?

Being a DOMINANT all-star for the 7-2 (and 7-3 in TODAY's measuring system), 285-300+ lb, 7-8 wingspan, college high-jump championship leaping ability, massive strength that has probably never been equalled in NBA history, with SPRINTER's speed, and a very good outside game, to go along with his variety of post moves...would be a foregone conclusion.
    the 500 lb bench press strength

3-time NBA All-Star

LOL
    the 500 lb bench press strength
    Google his bench press and get back to me...

In fact, YOU find me his EXACT bench press, since YOU seem to know. Give me YOUR reliable sources, too.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Over Hakeem, Robinson and Ewing? No way.
    PROVE IT.

I can show a 34-35-36 year old Wilt outplaying a PRIME Kareem. And a 33 year old Wilt just abusing Kareem. And, I can show a 38-39 year old Kareem, who could barely get off the floor (barely getting 6 rpg) just ANNIHILATING Hakeem and Ewing, and in Hakeem's case, in 10 straight games (32 ppg on .630 shooting.)

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Google his bench press and get back to me...

In fact, YOU find me his EXACT bench press, since YOU seem to know. Give me YOUR reliable sources, too.
    this is a guy with a 505 lb bench. mike martin

this is wilt

3-time NBA All-Star

this is wilt

THAT Wilt was already benching a KNOWN 400+ lbs (SI article in 1964.) Now, show us a picture of a 300 lb Wilt, in the late 60's and early 70's.

In any case, where is YOUR PROOF of what Chamberlain was actually benching????

this is wilt

you aren't all that bright brah.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

you aren't all that bright brah.
    the guy thinks wilt could bench 500

3-time NBA All-Star

Decent playground baller

So the better question do u think he'd be worst that Kevin Duckworth, Brad Daugherty, Otis Thorpe, Danny Manning, Horace Grant, BJ Armstrong, Charles Oakley, Vin Baker, Dana Barros, Christian Laettner, Chris Gatling, Rik Smits because all those guys made all-star teams in the 90s

How how could this scrawny little twerp possibly bench the 465lbs that an eyewitness claims he saw Wilt doing.

I mean, it's not like he weighs over 300lbs in solid muscle or anything... Not saying its true... but it is so often said by his peers that he was immensely even before he bulked up, that I don't have much reason to doubt it.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-18-2012 at 03:01 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

In 1964...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...91/2/index.htm

With Chamberlain now doing what everyone expected of him all along, San Francisco fans are coming back. They like him and his perpetual-motion supporting cast, and they like winning. About the only people not happy are the Warriors' opponents. The St. Louis Hawks' 6-foot-9, 240-pound Zelmo Beaty, for example, found out recently that he can no longer take Chamberlain's great strength for granted. Unable to slow Wilt down with conventional maltreatment, Beaty tried to yank his shorts off. Chamberlain, who can press 400 pounds without breathing hard, makes it a point to control his temper, primarily because he is genuinely afraid he might kill somebody. Beaty's unethical yank, however, was too much. Wilt flicked an arm, and Beaty flew across the floor like a man shot out of a cannon. Referee Mendy Rudolph rushed over to him and said: "For God's sake, stay down, man. Don't even twitch a muscle." Beaty didn't twitch, and he is still active in the NBA.

Wilt...at age 59!

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/chat.htm

Host Chris_MSNBC2 says:
    M3 says:
    Question for Wilt...watched you bench press about 465 lbs like it was a match stick at the Stanford gym when you were working out there for some reason...how much can you still push up?

Host Wilt_Chamberlain says:
    Well, probably I can push up a little more than that right now, because I was bench pressing some great weights. I was a shot-putter and lifting weights was a great joy to me. I liked to show off, I don't do that anymore, but I could probably bench press more than 465 pounds now.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/sto...99/index6.html

I appreciate your comments. Remember, however, that long limbs do not mean you can't bench press excellent poundages. Wilt Chamberlain, the 7' 2" skinny elite basketball player had very poor mechanical advantages for the bench press. His chest was flat, and his arms were skinny and really long! Nonetheless, he was able to bench press 500 lbs! Nobody would believe this by looking at him. His bench press figures have been verified and are widely known. You can find documentation of it on the web. He just happened to have freakishly dense muscles, and excellent genetics when it came to all the other factors that result in brute strength.

Shaq O' Neil, however, can "only" bench press 450 lbs even though he has much thicker arms, more overall mass, shorter arms and a thicker chest. Shaq has to compensate for not being as gifted as Wilt in some areas.
    Read Cherry's book...in it he interviews a 6-5 250 weight-lifter by the name of Fluke Fluker, who reportedly was benching 500+ lbs. Fluker called Wilt the strongest man he ever met.

And, go ahead...GOOGLE Wilt's BENCH PRESS...

MANY hits of 500+

Furthermore, find me ONE LEGITIMATE source that DISPUTES that fact.

Not having seen Chamberlain play, and just using logic, I would imagine he could since he scored 100 points in 62', and I imagine some all stars from the 90s would be capable of scoring that much if they went back in time. The vibe that I get is that the league improved tremendously year after year, and perhaps that's why he wasn't scoring 50ppg by the late 50s, and he played well against Jabbar, who as an old center played well against centers who played in the 90s. Another thing that I consider is that Wilt seemed like a motivated athlete, willing to go the extra mile in proving himself, working out, etc.
    Last edited by jstern; 03-18-2012 at 02:59 AM.