Default Girl contracts Brain-eating Amoeba at National Whitewater Center

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...e85234187.html

[Quote]
    The suspected cause of death is attributed to Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), an infection caused by Naegleria floweri, an amoeba that dwells in warm freshwater lakes and other bodies of water during the summer. People cannot be infected with it by drinking contaminated water, and the one-celled organism is not found in salt water.

But it can be fatal if forced up a person

Default Re: Girl contracts Brain-eating Amoeba at National Whitewater Center

That's why I never leave the house, except to go to work.

Death is all around us...

RIP

It seems this happened a few times last summer to (with different water bodies). Sadly, she's pretty much a goner.

RIP

   

most of the time i read about this thing it's in a situation where the person already knows (or should know) about the amoeba, like people vacationing at lake powell. so they decide to do a cannonball dive or whatever without wearing nose plugs or covering their nostrils, and the amoeba get forced up their nose and that's all she wrote.

last week i read about some guy who went off the trail at yosemite park, slipped and fell in to the hot sulfur waters. he was boiled alive in two minutes, i think. the park rangers couldn't even rescue his body because it was too dangerous. i guess he'll be like one of those dead climbers on mt. everest whose body turns in to a permanent trail marker for other climbers.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    most of the time i read about this thing it's in a situation where the person already knows (or should know) about the amoeba, like people vacationing at lake powell. so they decide to do a cannonball dive or whatever without wearing nose plugs or covering their nostrils, and the amoeba get forced up their nose and that's all she wrote.

last week i read about some guy who went off the trail at yosemite park, slipped and fell in to the hot sulfur waters. he was boiled alive in two minutes, i think. the park rangers couldn't even rescue his body because it was too dangerous. i guess he'll be like one of those dead climbers on mt. everest whose body turns in to a permanent trail marker for other climbers.
    Me and my friend went off trail a couple times at yosemite...never knew there was hot sulfur water there

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    Me and my friend went off trail a couple times at yosemite...never knew there was hot sulfur water there
    That whole region and the other side of the mountain range has several hot springs. People and pets get cooked up at the one near Mammoth all the time. Even with the warning signs. Super sad.
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hotspring.asp

   

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    hmm, it might have been jellystone, not yosemite. i do believe it was in the news last week... a young guy and his sister.

apparently chinese tourist groups are doing this kind of thing, too. they seem to have utterly no comprehension of boundaries and following rules. pretty soon you'll probably have half of a tourist group boiling themselves alive while the rest are capturing the whole thing on their phones.

EDIT: okay yeah, it was jellystone. it's right at the bottom of the link condemned shared.
    Last edited by gigantes; 06-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Clearly her parent's fault...horrible parenting

in 2007, brain eating amoeba killed 6 boys and 1 man. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21034344/n.../#.V2yCaC3YKUk

Its time to ban water until we find out what the HELL is going on!