Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Where would Tim Hardaway rank in the current league???

TIm Hardaway was considered equal to John Stockton by many people in their primes. He was on the all nba teams with him...ahead of him some years...ahead of Payton...Penny. Stockton puts up 14/11 on 55% shooting ona 64 win team. Tim is all NBA first team over him.

But Tim in his prime is gonna be clearly worse than Rondo and Kyrie....

Tim could replace any point in any of the last 10 years and the team isnt gonna lose more than 4-5 games off their record.

Hes not gonna just step in and make Paul, Rose, and Westbrook look like nothing. But hes an elite point.

Hes gonna be as much of a threat as the opposing point in any game the last 25 years if he isnt playing Magic Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    TIm Hardaway was considered equal to John Stockton by many people in their primes. He was on the all nba teams with him...ahead of him some years...ahead of Payton...Penny. Stockton puts up 14/11 on 55% shooting ona 64 win team. Tim is all NBA first team over him.

But Tim in his prime is gonna be clearly worse than Rondo and Kyrie....

Tim could replace any point in any of the last 10 years and the team isnt gonna lose more than 4-5 games off their record.

Hes not gonna just step in and make Paul, Rose, and Westbrook look like nothing. But hes an elite point.

Hes gonna be as much of a threat as the opposing point in any game the last 25 years if he isnt playing Magic Johnson.
    Great post as always blaze

Decent college freshman

His numbers compare to guys like Teague,Holliday and Jennings it seems.

Learning to shoot layups

Would he still wreck his ACL? He'd be top 5 for a while, then become an ok floor general with a streaky jumper.

Talking Re: Where would Tim Hardaway rank in the current league???

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    This ish is crazy. Prime Hardaway is better than everyone mentioned besides cp3 and maybe Westbrook. I'm not giving the benefit of the doubt to dudes coming off major surgery.
    Derrick rose >

When you think about it, why would WB/Rose be ranked above him? He can score just as well as they can plus he's a better passer, ballhandler and floor general than both. CP is probably the only one above him. lol @ Rondo being better than Hardaway.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Timmy would be in the top five for sure. Blended scoring and dime dropping just the way I like a floor general to do. Looks to pass first and be a general, but at the drop of a hat can take over scoring like the great scorers. Me personally, that's my perfect type of PG. That's why I dig CP3 and [COLOR="Red"]D-Will [/COLOR]the most of PG's today. Now as far as whose THE BEST PLAYER at PG, Rose and Westbrook take a backseat to nobody. But as PG's, I just put a certain premium of dropping dimes and being a floor general. I like the guys who blend scoring and dimes the best. Timmy is one of those guys who had it down to a science along with Magic, Isiah, KJ, and Price back in that era.
    That's probably his closest modern day comparison. Like somebody posted, imagine him without handchecking? He was able to get the the rack with handchecking and tougher players.

But one thing people need to understand is how much tougher and smarter he'd be than most players today in general. That alone would make him a high commodity, but give him his other talents he'd most def be a top 3-5 PG easily.

Very well, even post ACL tear Timmy.

He was still quick, not lighting quick like before. Had sick handle, great jumper, and was very crafty and intelligent. Before his injuries? Forget about it, he'd be among the league's best.

As well, Mark Price would be Nash-esque, and Kevin Johnson would be a beast in the current league too.

National High School Star

Well, he did average 23 ppg, 10 apg, 3.8 rpg, with 2 spg one season. Made 2nd team All-NBA. Pretty damn good I'd think.

In the playoffs that year for GSW (9 games) his averages were 25.2 ppg, 11.2 apg, 3.7 rpg, 3.1 spg, .8 bpg

For that one year I think he is as good as any point guard in the NBA today. His 'best' year was actually 96-97 when he made 1st team all NBA, but I find this 91-92 season more impressive overall.

College superstar

I like to think of how successful players like Rose, earlier Parker, Westbrook, and Rondo all were/are without a very legit jumper. Hardaway could beat you in ANY way. Honestly, KBlaze said it best, but just look at the hyper-athletic PGs without a reliable jumper.. tone down their athleticism just a small tick and add in a legit jumping, plus 3p range. Tim Hardaway would be nasty today, just as he was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    cp3, rondo, curry, westbrook, rose, irving, williams would all be clearly better than him at the pg position
    Clearly better?

I'd say top 5, in the same tier as CP3, Rose,Westbrook.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Today, he'd still be one of the best at his position. He'd be able to drop 30 any given night and still be able to get his teammates involved with his drive and dish game. I think his impact is right below CP3 but is as good as anyone. Only Westbrook and Rose has a case of being better than him. Curry and Irving has the potential to be in that same league. Tony Parker these past recent years was probably ranked the same way Timmy was in his day.

In his prime years, he was in the first tier of point guards with Stockton, Payton, KJ, and a healthy Penny. Timmy never played to his max potential but he showed a glimpse of what he could've became if it wasn't due to injury. He could've been close to a 25/10 player if he could've continued playing like how he started as an electrifying slasher, but damn, he fell in love with that 3 and yeah, injury.

Decent college freshman

Yah, Parker might be the best comparison actually.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Yah, Parker might be the best comparison actually.
    No, he's much better than Parker...His jumpshot is better, his handles are better, his playmaking and passing are better. Parker is very good but he plays in a great system and has played on great teams with a great coach his entire career.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    No, he's much better than Parker...His jumpshot is better, his handles are better, his playmaking and passing are better. Parker is very good but he plays in a great system and has played on great teams with a great coach his entire career.
    Even though Hardaway was one of my favorite players, I would never say his jump shot is better. Too streaky for my taste, but he was clutch as fk. I'll say TP's shot now is better than Hardaway's ever been.

Timmy's play making isn't better either. In his early years, a lot of his assists came from transition when the Warriors was one if not the fastest team. I actually like how Parker runs a team better. Hardaway ball-stops too often for my taste and those pull-up threes are cringe-worthy sometimes. You can say Parker is lucky to be on a great system but watching him play in the Olympics really made me appreciate his game. He's like the exact same player but more aggressive. I'll take Parker as my decision maker and he's actually more efficient with his scoring which he's capable of dropping 30-40 any given night as well.

What Timmy has going for him is his explosiveness or the ability to change the entire momentum of a game with his handles and risk taking mentality. His fearlessness and confidence can be contagious. Not to mention, Parker has been in the running for MVP last year as a top 3 candidate. I don't ever recall Hardaway being in the discussion but then he never had quite the team (that Mourning/Mashburn team was pretty nice though). I like both players so I can't rank one ahead of the other. Hardaway is higher on my favorites list though.