Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Default Maverics are 18-90 3pt shooting in the last 3 games

Lost 2, won against New York.
    I knew they'll struggle at some point in the season, most likely if Dirk/Tyson got injured, but I never thought that it'll be because bad 3 pt shooting.

Parsons is still awful and dirk (3-18) had a week off.

How long do you think can Carlisle keep plying the current offensive scheme if they keep sucking form outside?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Maverics are 18-90 3pt shooting in the last 3 games

Quote Originally Posted by moaz
    I knew they'll struggle at some point in the season, most likely if Dirk/Tyson got injured, but I never thought that it'll be because bad 3 pt shooting.

How long do you think can Carlisle keep plying the current offensive scheme if they keep sucking form outside?

Well...not long at all. If they shoot like shit....we will suck.

That would be crazy though considering the kind of great looks we get from the 3 point line and how many good to great shooters we have.

The problem with the Mavs is the defense....that...and that Parsons seems to just not be that good.

This was my fear with him...it's so hard to gauge a player playing on a weird team like the Rockets that doesn't ask anything of it's players (at least last year) other than race to the 3 point line or drive. No defense, no hustle, no toughness...no accountability.

I was the odd man out this summer...but everything I see on the court tells me that my idea of going after Avery Bradley and Ariza would have made our team drastically better. Because those two guys are exactly what we need. If we had two elite defenders at guard and small forward....with Tyson at center....we'd have a top 3 offense still and a top 5 to 8 defense.

Ellis, Bradley, Ariza, Dirk, and Chandler? With the ability to have guys like Aminu, Wright, Harris, Barea off the bench in optimal roles. That is nasty good on both sides of the ball.

Banned

3 point shooting is just so important for EVERY team nowadays.

At one point in the 2nd half with just under 10mins to go in the 4th, they had already attempted 13 3's for the half. That's about one 3PT attempt per minute.

The reason I point that out is because the Mavs were up by 6 at one point in the 3rd and never down more than 4 in the 3rd/ early 4th quarter.

Just seemed like excessive unnecessary 3PA

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    At one point in the 2nd half with just under 10mins to go in the 4th, they had already attempted 13 3's for the half. That's about one 3PT attempt per minute.

The reason I point that out is because the Mavs were up by 6 at one point in the 3rd and never down more than 4 in the 3rd/ early 4th quarter.

Well, the problem is that Dirk and Carlisle have come together and tried to keep Dirk out of the post as much as possible. That is where the "wear and tear" comes from for Dirk and trying to limit his time in there in the regular season and limit his minutes could hopefully lead to some fresher legs in the playoffs (got to make the playoffs though)

But having a great shooter like Dirk spacing the floor even more than normal seems like a good trade off. Well, it would be great if Parsons could do anything. That is the real issue with this team...Parsons hasn't been good.

We are 11-5 with the best offense in the league so it's not terrible or something, but you'd expect Parsons to do a whole lot better than 52% TS considering all he does it get lanes to the basket and wide open 3's off of the Dirk/Ellis pick and roll and Tyson lob action. And his defense has been utter shit so far outside a few moments.

The offensive improvement has came from Tyson...not Parsons. Having Wright healthy and having Tyson instead of Dalembert is why the offense is flowing so well ...outside the last 3 games at least. Has nothing to do with Parons...Vince was demonstrably better defensively for us last year and every bit as good offensively.

Still real early, but the 16 million dollar man has to play a whole lot better if this team has any hope of making noise in the playoffs.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 11-27-2014 at 11:45 AM.

When you depend this much on three you will go through stretches like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo

Yeah I had the feeling they wanted to force it back. The 3pts are more vital to their system than it is for many other teams.

I also didn't expect Parsons to be great or to go guy. I hoped for a more consistent Terry replacement with 15-20 ppg. This plus 20 ppg from Dirk in < 30 min, and what Monta scores should give us the playoff spot in the West regardless of defense. Once there, Carlisle should take over.

They should get their act together. Dirk should call his private coach and lend him to Parsons while he is there.
    Last edited by moaz; 11-27-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Well, the problem is that Dirk and Carlisle have come together and tried to keep Dirk out of the post as much as possible. That is where the "wear and tear" comes from for Dirk and trying to limit his time in there in the regular season and limit his minutes could hopefully lead to some fresher legs in the playoffs (got to make the playoffs though)

But having a great shooter like Dirk spacing the floor even more than normal seems like a good trade off. Well, it would be great if Parsons could do anything. That is the real issue with this team...Parsons hasn't been good.

We are 11-5 with the best offense in the league so it's not terrible or something, but you'd expect Parsons to do a whole lot better than 52% TS considering all he does it get lanes to the basket and wide open 3's off of the Dirk/Ellis pick and roll and Tyson lob action. And his defense has been utter shit so far outside a few moments.

The offensive improvement has came from Tyson...not Parsons. Having Wright healthy and having Tyson instead of Dalembert is why the offense is flowing so well ...outside the last 3 games at least. Has nothing to do with Parons...Vince was demonstrably better defensively for us last year and every bit as good offensively.

Still real early, but the 16 million dollar man has to play a whole lot better if this team has any hope of making noise in the playoffs.
    While I'm no Chandler Parsons fan and I think that his contract is stupid, I think that the sample size of 16 games or whatever is entirely too small. The NBA season is long and their offense is killing in spite of him. I figure that their offense will probably get a little worse (and still be really good) and he'll get a little better as the year goes on. I also think that Carlsile will be able to come up with some defensive scheme to cover up Parson's D or demand more D from him (and not play him as much eventually). So I never worry about really high highs or really low lows, I figure that over the course of a season things end up leveling out. What I am encouraged by is adding Nelson, Chandler, Parsons, Barea (although two have been there before) the team is playing better. It's tough to work new faces in whether they're old faces or not and I think that they've jelled pretty well. I'm not sweating the shitty shooting or Parsons shitty play. If it's the end of the year and he's played like this all year then I'll def think that his signing was a mistake. Until then, I'm just going to watch and not worry.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    While I'm no Chandler Parsons fan and I think that his contract is stupid, I think that the sample size of 16 games or whatever is entirely too small. The NBA season is long and their offense is killing in spite of him. I figure that their offense will probably get a little worse (and still be really good) and he'll get a little better as the year goes on. I also think that Carlsile will be able to come up with some defensive scheme to cover up Parson's D or demand more D from him (and not play him as much eventually). So I never worry about really high highs or really low lows, I figure that over the course of a season things end up leveling out. What I am encouraged by is adding Nelson, Chandler, Parsons, Barea (although two have been there before) the team is playing better. It's tough to work new faces in whether they're old faces or not and I think that they've jelled pretty well. I'm not sweating the shitty shooting or Parsons shitty play. If it's the end of the year and he's played like this all year then I'll def think that his signing was a mistake. Until then, I'm just going to watch and not worry.
    I don't worry about the offense. I worry about the defense.

I don't see any realistic way our defense improves to the level it will need to be at....unless we play Aminu like 25 minutes a game and we somehow turn him into a competent 3 point shooter / offensive player.

Even then I'm not sure it's enough....

But Ellis, Aminu, Parons, Dirk, and Tyson could serve as a really dangerous 2 way team if Aminu can hit open 3's and Parsons really picks up his game.

Other than that...I don't see the ability for this roster to get playoff stops that will be necessary to win anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariza4three
    3 point shooting is just so important for EVERY team nowadays.
    Not that I disagree but I'll just throw this out there...

Grizzlies are 27th in 3pt attempts (out of 30) while not being top10 in 3P%... And they have the best record, so far, tied with the Raptors(which are 9th in 3pt made).

i dont know whats up with dirks 3, but it looked terrible last games. i mean, he didnt take bad 3 point shots....they just didnt go in.
    1-8 and 0-8 is incredible bad.

but we have seen this last year and the year before. dirk sturggled with his shot for a stretch and geschwinder came to dallas and was working wit dirk

remeber when geschwinder said in an interview, i think it was 2012, after dirk came back from is long injury and struggled with his shot, that he saw dallas games in tv and saw how dirk shot and just thought: "no this isnt gonna work, i have to call dirk."
    Last edited by pastis; 11-27-2014 at 12:06 PM.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=360381

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I don't worry about the offense. I worry about the defense.

I don't see any realistic way our defense improves to the level it will need to be at....unless we play Aminu like 25 minutes a game and we somehow turn him into a competent 3 point shooter / offensive player.

Even then I'm not sure it's enough....

But Ellis, Aminu, Parons, Dirk, and Tyson could serve as a really dangerous 2 way team if Aminu can hit open 3's and Parsons really picks up his game.

Other than that...I don't see the ability for this roster to get playoff stops that will be necessary to win anything.
    While I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just figure that Carslile is no dummy and he'll figure it out, or get the personnel in there that will get the job done. He had a training camp with this team (with an out of shape Parsons) and we're 16 games into the season. I assume that he's well aware of what's happening and is smart enough to make adjustments in any way in terms of rotations or getting other players in. So, no panic here. I'll just see what happens.

Why Steph Why?
    I was trying to voodoo Konex curse out of existence.

Always watch the games siting on the left couch, don't have any drinks in the 3rd quarter, always shout el giagnte while Barea is driving (facing the window), and always stick a pin in an Avery Johnson doll whenever Dirk attempts to shoot.

Why Steph Why?
    I was trying to voodoo Konex curse out of existence.

Always watch the games siting on the left couch, don't have any drinks in the 3rd quarter, always shout el giagnte while Barea is driving (facing the window), and always stick a pin in an Avery Johnson doll whenever Dirk attempts to shoot.

I expect us to lose 120-95 today