Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Players now more efficiency-conscious then before?

Anyone noticed that the new players now are much more conscious of efficiency (FG%, overall stats, PER, etc) then players before?

Back in early 2000s no one gave a shit about efficiency, it was all about trying to score as much as possible and trying to be a hero. That was when players like Iverson and those bunch were popular.

But recently all the new good players are very conscious of how efficient they play, what FG% they shoot, whether they had a good overall game, etc.

I think this points toward a trend that NBA players are becoming more intelligent then the player in early 2000s. Which I believe can be pinpointed to not allowing highschool kids to come to NBA directly, and requiring some college education.

Banned

Default Re: Players now more efficiency-conscious then before?

That's because the league went from being extremely pro-Iverson and his style of play in the early 2000's to anti-Iverson at the end of his career when he became known as "The Canswer." Selfish iso ball became discouraged unless you are shooting at a high enough efficiency to be effective for the team.

NBA Legend

Even tho it wasnt dissected with metrics, players before MJ were generally efficiency conscious. That was when dudes were playing to win first.

Once MJ's style led to megastardom, you had an infusion of guys trying to achieve the same status and fame by putting up volume points.

Now that we've had a chance to view it with some perspective, we see that guys like Iverson, Mabrury, Carmelo, Kobe, McGrady etc don't really have the ability to effect games like MJ even when they try to play like him, and it's actually better to just do what's right for the team and move the ball and pick your spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Even tho it wasnt dissected with metrics, players before MJ were generally efficiency conscious. That was when dudes were playing to win first.

Once MJ's style led to megastardom, you had an infusion of guys trying to achieve the same status and fame by putting up volume points.

Now that we've had a chance to view it with some perspective, we see that guys like Iverson, Mabrury, Carmelo, Kobe, McGrady etc don't really have the ability to effect games like MJ even when they try to play like him, and it's actually better to just do what's right for the team and move the ball and pick your spots.

I think MJ falsely influenced a generation of players to think that they can play like MJ and achieved the same result, but when in fact they can't.

Decent playground baller Wiltside's Avatar

The anti-Kobe effect.

Banned

I see nearly everyone faking an attempt at the end of the quarter from full or half court now. They hesitate and make sure they throw it after the buzzer to protect their fg%

Such a f*ggot p*ssy c*ck sucking league the nba has become.

Makes me wanna sit down to pee whenever a game is on.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    I see nearly everyone faking an attempt at the end of the quarter from full or half court now. They hesitate and make sure they throw it after the buzzer to protect their fg%

Such a f*ggot p*ssy c*ck sucking league the nba has become.

Makes me wanna sit down to pee whenever a game is on.

uhhh, no. I don't know what basketball league you're watching.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    uhhh, no. I don't know what basketball league you're watching.

Neither do i half the time

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    Neither do i half the time

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

Kobe might be the only perimeter player in NBA history other than Jordan that could win a championship playing the way they do.

Is it more efficiency-conscious or less love for hero-ball and the fact that they have learnt that it is better for their team if they play in the flow of the offensive game instead

College superstar

Omg Guys Is Basketball Turning Into Baseball?!

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Kobe might be the only perimeter player in NBA history other than Jordan that could win a championship playing the way they do.
    any of the 2000s elite perimeter players can win with shaq, not just kobe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    any of the 2000s elite perimeter players can win with shaq, not just kobe.
    This.

Ppl tryna act like Kobe's 15pgg on 40% was so vital for Shaq winning in 2000

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Yes, players were always somewhat conscientious of their efficiency but it wasn't as heavily emphasized as it is in today's game.