Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default LeBron will likely surpass Kareem Abdul Jabbar this season

And he's on the right path. Kareem was 32 yrs.old when he won his 2nd NBA title in 1980. And LeBron would be 32 yrs.old in the 2017 NBA Finals. I have Kareem at 2a and LeBron at 2b.

Hopefully LeBron also surpass him as the all time regular season scorer.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Default Re: LeBron will likely surpass Kareem Abdul Jabbar this season

Do you just assume Lebron will win either the MVP or the title? Because if he wins neither why would he move up the ladder?

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    Do you just assume Lebron will win either the MVP or the title? Because if he wins neither why would he move up the ladder?

I can see him winning his 5th MVP this season. He's still the favorite to win the Finals MVP if the Cavs beat the Warriors again in the Finals.

He's still the best player in the NBA.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Kareem is a 6 time champion, 6 time MVP, and the all time scoring leader. Even if we act like only 3 of Kareems rings "count" since he wasnt the best player after that(though he was finals mvp at 38) 3 and 6 and the all time scoring lead is probably still greater than 4 and 5. At best Lebron could tie his accomplishments....if...we pretend a lot of them didnt happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Kareem is a 6 time champion, 6 time MVP, and the all time scoring leader. Even if we act like only 3 of Kareems rings "count" since he wasnt the best player after that(though he was finals mvp at 38) 3 and 6 and the all time scoring lead is probably still greater than 4 and 5. At best Lebron could tie his accomplishments....if...we pretend a lot of them didnt happen.
    I can see no argument for KAJ over LeBron, if LeBron wins his 4th Ring and FMVP this season. Simply put, LeBron was never carried to a ring. KAJ was. Right now, KAJ is far superior to LeBron though.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Kareem is a couple months past his 40th birthday here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwr0ceF-Jtk

Dropping 32/6/4 blocks on 70+% shooting in only 29 minutes to win his 5th ring.

Playing till you are 42 and therefore eventually....not being a superstar anymore....doesnt make you worse at basketball.

Being "Carried" or not when youre 39-42 doesnt have a thing to do with your ability to play the game when you were still the player in question. Kareem proved himself a thousand times over.

He wasnt any worse because accountants stole his money and he had to keep playing.

If LeBron wins the ring and FMVP this year against GSW, I would have no problem putting him ahead of KAJ. That would be:

4 MVP
    4 FVP
    4 rings

Rarified air, only surpassed by MJ and Russell.

Playing till you are 42 and therefore eventually....not being a superstar anymore....doesnt make you worse at basketball.

Being "Carried" or not when youre 39-42 doesnt have a thing to do with your ability to play the game when you were still the player in question. Kareem proved himself a thousand times over.

He wasnt any worse because accountants stole his money and he had to keep playing.
    Mr nostalgia at it again I see.

First Bird is better than Lebron, now Kareem is better?

Is there any 80s star who isn't better than Lebron in your eyes?

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I can see him winning his 5th MVP this season. He's still the favorite to win the Finals MVP if the Cavs beat the Warriors again in the Finals.

He's still the best player in the NBA.

Huge huge IF. But if he somehow does, that would be the greatest feat in basketball history. Depends on how he affects the series with his performance, a title this year would catapult him to top 2. But again, huge huge IF.

Very good NBA starter

Kareem wasn't the best player on the 87 Lakers which was the OP point. Why did you just bring up some random game. Kobe had a great game in 2000 finals too. Why you never address the actual points is beyond.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Too bad baby Bron will likely descend past Oscar Robertson after he loses a 5th finals

Good hypothetical though OP!

Why do you put so much stock into "greatness" and accolades? At the end of the day KAJ was just a better baller. Getting another ring or MVP doesn't make Lebron a better basketball player than his is right now. This should be the only way to look at it. This attempt to make something as inherently subjective as a best basketball players of all time list into something objective is silly.

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

FreezingTSmoove is such a retarded fakkot

Quote Originally Posted by JT123
    Mr nostalgia at it again I see.

First Bird is better than Lebron, now Kareem is better?

Is there any 80s star who isn't better than Lebron in your eyes?
    Wait. That idiot actually said Bird was better than LeBron?
    I don't think Larry Bird himself would argue that at this point. I'm with AJ was well. I don't see what argument kareem has over lebron is lebron wins another fmvp to make it 4 rings as lead dog - the most besides MJ in the post-merger era.

Lebron's vorp, rapm and cumulative stats are only going to increase as well. He's going to end the following season as the all time leading playoff scorer which matters a hell of a lot more than the regular season total points count. Kareem can keep that. We focus on the big time.