Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let's talk about Wilt Chamberlain unbiasedly

It's hard to say what his stats would be like considering the 60s game is much different from today. But with his size and athleticism he would still be the game's best center if not the best player. His max stats could be at 30ppg 17rpg 5apg 3bpg at 60% shooting but who knows really. He will be hacked-a-wilt a lot for sure, coz it seems its his only weakness.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    It's hard to say what his stats would be like considering the 60s game is much different from today. But with his size and athleticism he would still be the game's best center if not the best player. His max stats could be at 30ppg 17rpg 5apg 3bpg at 60% shooting but who knows really. He will be hacked-a-wilt a lot for sure, coz it seems its his only weakness.
    I almost fell out of my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber

did that link with the complete box score from the 55-rebound game work?

I wasn't really arguing with you so much, as some other's have pointed out that he would be a 14 rpg guy. How in the hell would Chamberlain, the greatest rebounder in NBA history, only average 14 rpg, in a league in which a 6-9 Kevin Love, playing less than 36 mpg, could average 15.2?

And that LAST post-season series was indicative of what a PRIME Chamberlain would probably carpet-bomb the NBA with. If a 36 year old Wilt, playing on a surgically repaired knee, could average 22.5 rpg, (and outrebound the league's second best rebounder by over SIX per game), in a post-season in which the NBA averaged 50.6 rpg...well, just what would a PRIME Chamberlain have been capable of? Keep in mind that Chamberlain had a FIVE rpg margin over Russell in their 143 H2H games, too...including an amazing 23-4 margin in 35+ H2H games. And, I have often wondered how many "available" rebounds were to be had, when Wilt outrebounded Russell in one game, by a 55-19 margin?

In any case, and depending on what was needed, but a peak Wilt would probably be a 30+ ppg, 17-18 rpg, .550-.600 guy in today's NBA. As well as handing out 4 apg, and blocking 5-6 shots per game.
    Also depends on what Wilt were talking about. Wilt was a very different player over the course of his career based on what he was asked to do/be.

I think scoring Wilt would probably be something like 30-35/16-18/3 on 50-55%. Defensive/team player Wilt(the best Wilt IMO) would probably be 18-22/16-18/6-9 on 62-66% and DPOY pretty much every year.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Also depends on what Wilt were talking about. Wilt was a very different player over the course of his career based on what he was asked to do/be.

I think scoring Wilt would probably be something like 30-35/16-18/3 on 50-55%. Defensive/team player Wilt(the best Wilt IMO) would probably be 18-22/16-18/6-9 on 62-66% and DPOY pretty much every year.
    I've seen some of your posts on here recently (very solid). From my understanding you were around to see a lot of these guys live, correct? I wanted to poll a lot of the guys on this board who were able to watch the league in the 60s (and possibly earlier, in some cases) and put together some lists (Finals MVPs and All-Defensive teams from 1967-68 and earlier are my first priorities). Let me know if you're interested in participating.

I told you a dozen times, I respect Wilt's legacy.

I don't like your biased attitude towards him though.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    did that link with the complete box score from the 55-rebound game work?
    Yeah, but it would have been interesting to see the entire box score, and to compare ALL of the rebounds in that game. Given the fact that Wilt and Russell routinely led their teams in rebounding, and by large margins, I suspect that there was probably no more than say 140 total rebounds (with Wilt and Russell grabbing 74 of them), which would have given Chamberlain approximately 40% of the total available. Just a monster rebounding game!

I've seen some of your posts on here recently (very solid). From my understanding you were around to see a lot of these guys live, correct? I wanted to poll a lot of the guys on this board who were able to watch the league in the 60s (and possibly earlier, in some cases) and put together some lists (Finals MVPs and All-Defensive teams from 1967-68 and earlier are my first priorities). Let me know if you're interested in participating.
    My posts probably seem kinda confusing lol. There's actually two people posting on this account. I'm 22, and my earliest basketball memories are from like 94-95. My dad's 57, and he's the person you quoted, but he's gone to bed already. I know my dad saw a lot of Wilt games and I think quite a few Russell games. I'm home for the weekend, so I'll talk to him in the morning(he's asleep already lol), but I'm sure he'd love that.

I'm just 22, but I feel like I know a lot about that era just because it's my Dad's favorite era and were both huge basketball fans and talk about it a lot. I'm really glad we found this site. It's fun talking about this kind of stuff.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    It doesn't matter how 60' games were played since he will be trained by experts from today.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

My posts probably seem kinda confusing lol. There's actually two people posting on this account. I'm 22, and my earliest basketball memories are from like 94-95. My dad's 57, and he's the person you quoted, but he's gone to bed already. I know my dad saw a lot of Wilt games and I think quite a few Russell games. I'm home for the weekend, so I'll talk to him in the morning(he's asleep already lol), but I'm sure he'd love that.

I'm just 22, but I feel like I know a lot about that era just because it's my Dad's favorite era and were both huge basketball fans and talk about it a lot. I'm really glad we found this site. It's fun talking about this kind of stuff.
    How I wish my dad loved basketball

Yeah, but it would have been interesting to see the entire box score, and to compare ALL of the rebounds in that game. Given the fact that Wilt and Russell routinely led their teams in rebounding, and by large margins, I suspect that there was probably no more than say 140 total rebounds (with Wilt and Russell grabbing 74 of them), which would have given Chamberlain approximately 40% of the total available. Just a monster rebounding game!
    that link has the entire box score (aside from team rebounds, which weren't recorded back then)

it appears Philly grabbed 90, Boston 59, for 149 total

assuming team rebounds (which weren't tracked prior to 1969) were at that 12.2% figure, Philly had 101, Boston 66, for a total of 167

Wilt had 55, which is 32.9% of all available rebounds in the game (using those team rebound numbers)

that would be great! be sure to let him know, and I'll be sure to see who else I can recruit

jlauber - I forget when you started watching, but I think you caught the tail end of the 60s (or did you start watching in the early 70s)? Would you like to participate? Either way, who else do you think would be interested in such a project?

3-time NBA All-Star

that link has the entire box score (aside from team rebounds, which weren't recorded back then)

assuming team rebounds (which weren't tracked prior to 1969) were at that 12.2% figure, Philly had 101, Boston 66, for a total of 167

Wilt had 55, which is 32.9% of all available rebounds in the game (using those team rebound numbers)
    Actually that is the exact opposite. Team rebounds WERE recorded prior to the 68-69 season (obviously 67-68 being the last season.) That's why I always get a kick out of the uneducated posters (and not you by any means) posting that TEAMS were getting 71 rpg in the early 60's. The fact was, the highest TEAMs were around 66 (and that was rare.)

So, that 149 makes me believe that it was likely around 130-135 that were AVAILABLE, or a staggering 40+% of them.

3-time NBA All-Star

that would be great! be sure to let him know, and I'll be sure to see who else I can recruit

jlauber - I forget when you started watching, but I think you caught the tail end of the 60s (or did you start watching in the early 70s)? Would you like to participate? Either way, who else do you think would be interested in such a project?
    My first recollections were in the 63-64 season. Which, was somewhat unfair to Russell, since I didn't see much of the more offensive Russell for the rest of his career. Same with Baylor, who was injured in the 64-65 post-season, and was never the same physically again.

And, my answer would be, yes, of course.

Actually that is the exact opposite. Team rebounds WERE recorded prior to the 68-69 season (obviously 67-68 being the last season.) That's why I always get a kick out of the uneducated posters (and not you by any means) posting that TEAMS were getting 71 rpg in the early 60's. The fact was, the highest TEAMs were around 66 (and that was rare.)

So, that 149 makes me believe that it was likely around 130-135 that were AVAILABLE, or a staggering 40+% of them.
    wait, I don't follow...apologies for not being familiar with league policy

Philly was credited with 90, which is the sum of all of the rebound totals in that line (6+7+55+9+3+3+5+2), Boston is credited with 59 (9+1+19+2+6+4+7+1+10); were the team rebounds appended to players' totals, does this box score only have the sum total and not the team totals used for year-end league statistics, or were there none this game?

My first recollections were in the 63-64 season. Which, was somewhat unfair to Russell, since I didn't see much of the more offensive Russell for the rest of his career. Same with Baylor, who was injured in the 64-65 post-season, and was never the same physically again.

And, my answer would be, yes, of course.
    great! who else do you think would be interested? I guess a good base group would be all guys who were around then...who on this board makes the cut?

we can get into specifics (whether to start a thread, do this over PM, format, etc.) after we have a list of potential voters

Former Bulls Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369

Why are the pictures from back then so dark?? Did the fkn lights go out in that arena?