Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ESPN Films: "The Announcement" 9 ET

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    I am just saying through. The little girl crying got to me. Magic
    Little girl crying =

But she's still alive today =

Magic Johnson =

People seeing that Magic's still alive, assume he no longer has HIV, and start having unprotected sex =

Why the hate for Karl Malone?

He was thinking just what everyone else was thinking. No one really knew about the disease, so he was naturally scared like everyone else.

Great special by the way.

I knew Magic is a great person but I got a whole lot more respect for him after watching this.

I always love Magic for what he did on the court but this special just really confirmed how great he was off the court. he did just what he told his wife when she first found out. he was gonna save a lot of people's lives and thats what he did. he is the face of HIV/AIDs and a great reason why it is where it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    I always love Magic for what he did on the court but this special just really confirmed how great he was off the court. he did just what he told his wife when she first found out. he was gonna save a lot of people's lives and thats what he did. he is the face of HIV/AIDs and a great reason why it is where it is today.
    The only good post I've ever seen you type and that's not filled with anti-Kobe hate.

I remember that day so well...

17 year old yg fighting back tears....

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

He was thinking just what everyone else was thinking. No one really knew about the disease, so he was naturally scared like everyone else.

Damn right. He was the only one of the balls to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by NY TIMES
    He pressed a finger to a small, pinkish hole on his thigh that was developing into a scab. "I get these every night, every game," he said. "They can't tell you that you're not at risk, and you can't tell me there's one guy in the N.B.A. who hasn't thought about it."

Gerald Wilkins, the former Knick who is now with the Cleveland Cavaliers, said: "Everybody's talking about it. Some people are scared. This could be dangerous to us all, but you're dealing with Magic Johnson, so people are handling it with white gloves. They're not going to say how they really feel."

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sp...pagewanted=all

Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

Anyone know how I can view this in Australia? Is it on the net anywhere yet...?

Where can I watch the whole thing?

The other thing i realized is that the story of magic johnson and HIV/AIDs is a story about a higher power. I am not religious by any means if you ask my friends and family. I'm purely agnostic because there are often times where I dont see a reason to believe in a god.

But when i saw this story, I can eek out a belief that there is a higher power. You think Magic was put on this earth to play basketball, and some people may continue to still believe that. The man had otherworldly talent and skill. Its easy to believe so. One of the greatest to lace them up.

But clearly God (if there is one) put Magic on this earth to be the face of HIV/AIDs. He is a savior of some form to the human race. He is probably the most tragic living story in sports history. And that is why his work is so powerful in the HIV/AIDs awareness/fight. He continues his work and is a miracle in himself to be alive today.

I remember it like yesterday, I was 13 years ok'd and heart broken. I was a Mavs fan that always rooted for the Celtics against the Lakers but there was no one more fun to root against than Magic.

The Great One.

I missed it. Does anyone know if it'll be on re-run any time soon? I've checked through my Dish and can't seem to find it on any of the ESPN channels.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

haven't seen it yet but I'm convinced that if his wife was ANYBODY other than Cookie...he would be gone.

most if not all other owmen would have left him after hearing THAT news back then.

The fact that they really love each other is what has kept him alive.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Sounds to me as if Malone realizes years later that he spoke without thinking, and was just going off what the people who raised him would have done in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I missed it. Does anyone know if it'll be on re-run any time soon? I've checked through my Dish and can't seem to find it on any of the ESPN channels.
    Youtube has it. Its on now, been watching it since 9