Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: have any of you heard of the material known as "Graphene"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Can this stop bullets? Will the next Batman suit design based on this material?
    or a real-life bolito wire.

Last edited by Raymone; 04-15-2014 at 04:19 PM.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

yeah supposedly it really is the "strongest material in the world"

I guess that means it is stronger than actual diamond...which is amazing

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    yeah supposedly it really is the "strongest material in the world"

[Insert Chuck Norris joke]

Could it be used to replace fibre-optic cables?

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    Could it be used to replace fibre-optic cables?
    Graphene could deliver Internet 100 times faster

[QUOTE]The use of graphene in telecommunications could dramatically accelerate Internet speeds by up to a hundred times, according to new research by scientists in the University of Bath

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It's amazing to think that there are still people in parts of the world basically living as tribal bushmen while all these technological advances march forward.

Legitimately makes you wonder if the species isn't destined for another genetic split yet again at some point. Seems far fetched now, but don't underestimate the future.

코비=GOAT

I see a lot of pop sci websites describing the electrons as "massless" and this misconception has cropped up in some of my discussions with my friends. They are not really massless or relativistic, etc. The electrons in graphene sheets have high mobility because of low dimension because the sheet is only one atom thick. There is no up or down dimension in which the electrons can travel, only a horizontal nuclear landscape of carbon atoms. This is the reason why you see claims of super fast internet, charging your phone in 5 sec, etc.

There are so many questions! Is it strong enough to withstand impact of a plane crash? Since it's lighter the impact would be smaller too, an ideal material for cars and planes. Will Graphene ever be a commodity product like plastic thus making it very affordable?

9 Incredible Uses for Graphene

1. Mega-fast uploads. We're talking a whole terabit in just one second.

2. Plug your phone in for five seconds and it would be all charged up. The downside here is that you won't be able to use a dead phone as an excuse anymore.

3. What if we actually had a clear solution for cleaning up the tainted water near Fukushima? Scientists at Rice say graphene could potentially clump together radioactive waste, making disposal is a breeze.

4. It could improve your tennis game, thanks to special racquets from HEAD that aim to put the weight where it's more useful: in the head and the grip.

5. Water, water everywhere and EVERY drop drinkable. MIT minds have a plan for a graphene filter covered in tiny holes just big enough to let water through and small enough to keep salt out, making salt water safe for consumption.

6. Touchscreens that use graphene as their conductor could be slapped onto plastic rather than glass. That would mean super thin, unbreakable touchscreens and never worrying about shattering your phone ever again.

7. Just a single sheet of graphene could produce headphones that have a frequency response comparable to a pair of Sennheisers, as some scientists at UC Berkeley recently showed us.

8. High-power graphene supercapacitors would make batteries obselete.

9. Graphene could pave the way for bionic devices in living tissues that could be connected directly to your neurons. So people with spinal injuries, for example, could re-learn how to use their limbs.
    Oh. Didn't know about all that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    There are so many questions! Is it strong enough to withstand impact of a plane crash? Since it's lighter the impact would be smaller too, an ideal material for cars and planes. Will Graphene ever be a commodity product like plastic thus making it very affordable?
    From what I read designing planes with this material is already being looked into.

This material is the difference between going extinct and not going extinct, EVER.

Human Beings are now immortal. We will be able to travel everywhere, even to other parallel universes.

So happy

National High School Star

Honestly, the impact of graphene in 100-150 years will make what we're living like now be akin to cavemen.

Right now we are limited not by thought, but by physical constraints. If we can harness the true capabilities of graphene in terms of size, strength, pliability, durability, energy etc it will be the 2nd 100x factor coming of the industrial revolution.

Things we would be able to do easily:
    -Every single person have drinking water
    -Support live on earth/energy
    -Space travel
    -Cawt damn

I'm just trying to time my having money with the first true startup that gets it when it comes to graphene. I'd invest everything I have in it (like angel investor, not invest regularly). It's going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I'm just trying to time my having money with the first true startup that gets it when it comes to graphene. I'd invest everything I have in it (like angel investor, not invest regularly). It's going to change the world.
    the big boys are already working with graphene...unfortunately

it's not like there is going to be a Microsoft of graphene that suddenly appears and anyone owning a dozen shares will be billionaires in 20 years

no one company owns the patent for "Graphene"

there could be small companies that own a certain tech based around Graphene though, and that is what investors should look for...example, the company that creates the graphene devices used to remove salt from salt water, etc

these are two that I am looking at right now:

Aixatron NASD:AIXG
    Graftech International NYSE:GTI

I am going to add more too, I would like to create an entire "Graphene portfolio" of a dozen or so companies working with Graphene, both big and small companies. Perhaps I can get one to "hit" big time.

NBA Legend

the big boys are already working with graphene...unfortunately

it's not like there is going to be a Microsoft of graphene that suddenly appears and anyone owning a dozen shares will be billionaires in 20 years

no one company owns the patent for "Graphene"

there could be small companies that own a certain tech based around Graphene though, and that is what investors should look for...example, the company that creates the graphene devices used to remove salt from salt water, etc

these are two that I am looking at right now:

Aixatron NASD:AIXG
    Graftech International NYSE:GTI

I am going to add more too, I would like to create an entire "Graphene portfolio" of a dozen or so companies working with Graphene, both big and small companies. Perhaps I can get one to "hit" big time.

Pt i didnt wanna let the cat out of the bag too early or anything, but between you and me, I've recently started up my own graphene innovations company, and big things are on the horizon. Because we've know each other all our insidehoops lives I'd like to give you the opportunity to get in early on it. Just go ahead and Paypal me $15,000 and I will give you a very generous stake in my company. In five years it will have changed your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Pt i didnt wanna let the cat out of the bag too early or anything, but between you and me, I've recently started up my own graphene innovations company, and big things are on the horizon. Because we've know each other all our insidehoops lives I'd like to give you the opportunity to get in early on it. Just go ahead and Paypal me $15,000 and I will give you a very generous stake in my company. In five years it will have changed your life.
    PM me your paypal email so I can send you the money.