Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: If you guys can make over 100k, 3 weeks of work....

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I have a friend who has a job that is 9-10 hours per day, 30-40 days in a row. He gets paid well, it involves a lot of walking outside, and then he gets 2 weeks off and his company pays for him to fly anywhere in the continental United States during that break (not unlimited flights, just 1 flight away and 1 flight back per break). He loves it, but doesn't plan on doing it for life.
    That is a sweet gig. I would do that in a heart beat. 10 hour days are nothing if you start early. Just 8-6:30.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

I do this already, except I work 15 on and 6 off. It's not for everybody, but I enjoy the work and the schedule.

Very good NBA starter

i know some people who tried the oil thing, but they were in south dakota.

they hated it. hope you go with a positive mindset.

Op, just don't waste your money on strippers and save as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Will be in the oil fields of West Texas. Not what I really want to do or related to my career but it's good money and will be able to travel.

Like I said, 60-100 hour weeks, in a part of Texas where nothing is going on. A population of 200k at most.

There's a lot to consider.
    I've worked in Midland/Odessa area before, fracing. It's not "like jail," but yeah, for the days you are on, they basically own you. The hours can be crazy, to an unsafe level actually, but it is what it is. Very very hot in the summer time obviously. What profession are you looking at getting into?

One thing I can guarantee you is that if you hate what you're doing you will NOT last and it's not something you should even consider. If you don't have an interest in what you're doing, it's going to eat you up. Since you're already viewing it as "like jail" it sounds like you're going to be unhappy. If you're working oilfield you spend WAY too much time at work for you to be able to succeed even if you hate it.

I'm not saying don't try it, but I am saying that if you think you're gonna be able to hack it hating your life for 2 weeks at a time in exchange for the cash, you're wrong. It's not gonna work.

I'd do it @ 70 hours per week tops. 100 hours? Fukk that. They'd better be paying more than 100K to sacrifice my physical and mental health.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    I've worked in Midland/Odessa area before, fracing. It's not "like jail," but yeah, for the days you are on, they basically own you. The hours can be crazy, to an unsafe level actually, but it is what it is. Very very hot in the summer time obviously. What profession are you looking at getting into?

One thing I can guarantee you is that if you hate what you're doing you will NOT last and it's not something you should even consider. If you don't have an interest in what you're doing, it's going to eat you up. Since you're already viewing it as "like jail" it sounds like you're going to be unhappy. If you're working oilfield you spend WAY too much time at work for you to be able to succeed even if you hate it.

I'm not saying don't try it, but I am saying that if you think you're gonna be able to hack it hating your life for 2 weeks at a time in exchange for the cash, you're wrong. It's not gonna work.
    That's exactly where it's at. I'm an extrovert and I spend times after work in places socializing and yacking it up with people or even at work.

The money is what I'm excited for. That's what keeps me leaning towards to doing it.

How is your life outside of work? Days off? Off of work?

BTW OP, the pic you posted was of a frac site. If you're going fracing, you will NOT make 100k/year your first year no matter what they tell you.

Banned

They say those hours working are time lost at the oil fields.

This is basically the office:

OP, I just moved to Houston and have been internally debating this same exact thing for the last few weeks.

Hit me up with a PM if you decide to do it, and it may influence my own decision, as we may thusly pass the time in the fields debating Kobe vs. Lebron, whilst our redneck Texan coworkers chide us for watching negroes throw a ball around and debating which one does it best.

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

They say those hours working are time lost at the oil fields.

This is basically the office:
    Do you need the money? You said it would be nice, but do you need it?
    Would you be passing on other opportunities towards the career you want?

Banned

BTW OP, the pic you posted was of a frac site. If you're going fracing, you will NOT make 100k/year your first year no matter what they tell you.
    Yes, they frac, you ever heard of Trican?

Don't know what position I will exactly.

Maybe you can give me more insight.

That's exactly where it's at. I'm an extrovert and I spend times after work in places socializing and yacking it up with people or even at work.
    If you're working on a crew odds are good you will develop friendships and a lot of camaraderie with the guys you're working with as long as you go into it with the right attitude. That attitude is, keep your mouth shut, your head down, bust your ass, and learn as much as possible. The universal currency to being liked in the oilfield is work ethic.

The money is what I'm excited for. That's what keeps me leaning towards to doing it.
    The money's good but don't get carried away. A lot of the industry can be bonus-based depending on time you spend in the field. I'm on pace to make $100k+ this year but my salary is less than half of that. The rest is bonus you make for completing jobs in the field. So obviously, if you have a slow year, you're making a lot less. The money isn't a guarantee, don't be fooled.

How is your life outside of work? Days off? Off of work?
    The biggest problem is doing things with your friends who don't work the same schedule. Right now I start on Wednesdays, work 15, and am off for 6, so that means I'm off Thursday-Tuesdays. So what ends up happening is that you spend a lot of time outside of work with guys you work with, because you don't have the same schedule and off days as everyone else. That said, 6 days off at a time allows you to basically vacation whenever you want. So that aspect is nice.

One other thing you may want to consider, getting on a frac crew, for instance, there is a career to be made there if you want it. After about 10 years you can get out of the field if you want as well and work a more normal schedule.

Again, what part of the industry are you looking at getting into? There are thousands of different jobs with different pay scales in the patch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    OP, I just moved to Houston and have been internally debating this same exact thing for the last few weeks.

Hit me up with a PM if you decide to do it, and it may influence my own decision, as we may thusly pass the time in the fields debating Kobe vs. Lebron, whilst our redneck Texan coworkers chide us for watching negroes throw a ball around and debating which one does it best.
    I don't have a problem with that. It's not going to happen till Mid October or early November if I decide to do it.

You know to find me here.

Yes, they frac, you ever heard of Trican?

Don't know what position I will exactly.

Maybe you can give me more insight.
    Trican is a big one up here. I'm in central Alberta, but yeah, they're one of the bigger dogs around here. In our industrial park there is Calfrac, Baker, Schlumnberger, Trican, Halliburton, Sanjel, Canyon... the list goes on.

Do you have your CDL? You will need that. Once you have a commercial license and can drive trucks you will start off on the iron truck. To explain your responsibilities without you having been on a site is a little difficult. It's something you need to see for yourself.

And like I said, unless you are absolutely BALLS TO THE WALL, I can't picture any situation where an iron skinner would make $100k a year.

Banned

If you're working on a crew odds are good you will develop friendships and a lot of camaraderie with the guys you're working with as long as you go into it with the right attitude. That attitude is, keep your mouth shut, your head down, bust your ass, and learn as much as possible. The universal currency to being liked in the oilfield is work ethic.

The money's good but don't get carried away. A lot of the industry can be bonus-based depending on time you spend in the field. I'm on pace to make $100k+ this year but my salary is less than half of that. The rest is bonus you make for completing jobs in the field. So obviously, if you have a slow year, you're making a lot less. The money isn't a guarantee, don't be fooled.

The biggest problem is doing things with your friends who don't work the same schedule. Right now I start on Wednesdays, work 15, and am off for 6, so that means I'm off Thursday-Tuesdays. So what ends up happening is that you spend a lot of time outside of work with guys you work with, because you don't have the same schedule and off days as everyone else. That said, 6 days off at a time allows you to basically vacation whenever you want. So that aspect is nice.

One other thing you may want to consider, getting on a frac crew, for instance, there is a career to be made there if you want it. After about 10 years you can get out of the field if you want as well and work a more normal schedule.

Again, what part of the industry are you looking at getting into? There are thousands of different jobs with different pay scales in the patch.
    What are typical positions on a Frac well? What is an entry level position>?