Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Right, because assist numbers tell you who the better passer was. I guess Westbrook and Rose are better passers than Bird as well.

If you watch a good amount of Bird games, I think you'll see why most consider him a better passer than Lebron. I'd say Bird was one of the 10 best passers in NBA history, and I think most would agree.

I'm not necessarily talking about all around playmaking either, where Lebron's ability off the dribble would come into play.

Rebounding can be judged better by numbers than passing, and Bird's numbers are not only better in both raw(rpg) and advanced(TRB%) but he did it playing alongside Parish and McHale on the same frontline. And he got more offensive rebounds as well, which is always something to consider because more defensive rebounds go uncontested.

But aside from that, you can also see from watching the games that Bird was clearly the better rebounding. They weren't even comparable as far as boxing out and timing.

Bird was not a better passer than LeBron, it's that simpple. And I don't believe he was a better rebounder either. Rebounding is all about effort. When LeBron puts the effort into it like he did in the 2012 playoffs he can rebound with the best of them, and that included many offensive rebounds and finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by aburre21
    it's crazy the arguments they'll use. They'll say Bird was the better rebounder because of stats but won't say Bron was the better passer because of his assists numbers. We seen what kind of rebounder LeBron was when he was forced to crash the glass due to the absence of Chris Bosh
    Because assist numbers are pretty similar, while Bird doesn't come close to Lebron's usage, never was ball-dominant like Lebron, never played PG like Lebron does a lot. You can rack up easy assists just by being the main ball-handler on a team, especially on a team with so many 3pt shooters like Lebron had over the years, and also because Lebron's a beast at driving and can easily drive and kick because he can pass and he's willing to.
    Bird was the better passer though, clear to see.

On the other hand rebounding numbers, TRB% or averages, are not even close.

Bird was not a better passer than LeBron, it's that simpple. And I don't believe he was a better rebounder either. Rebounding is all about effort. When LeBron puts the effort into it like he did in the 2012 playoffs he can rebound with the best of them, and that included many offensive rebounds and finishes.
    Dumb post.... still you're saying even when he put the effort he didn't come close to Bird's best rebounding numbers, RS or PS.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Hes the most confusing poster on the site. Hes a 22 year old Laker fan that lives in Golden State whose favorite player (Larry Bird) and team (1986 Celtics) hes never seen play. Hell he wasnt even born during the Celtics dynasty. Hell he wasnt even born in the 80s.
    You mad bro? Just because I wasn't born in that time means that I didn't watch any of their games on tape?

We all know you are the most delusional poster here. "Pippen > Magic". "Luc Longley is equal to Roy Hibbert." You will say anything to hype those mid 90's Bulls teams.

7-time NBA All-Star

I really don't see how Lebron is a better passer, but you're claiming they're equal on the boards as well? Based on what? No reasonable person could come away with that opinion from watching them play and the stats favor Bird, and very heavily when context is applied.

Lebron did rebound very well in the 2012 playoffs, but compare it to Bird in some of his playoff runs, particularly 1981. For much of his career, I've thought Lebron's rebounding numbers have made him appear to be a better rebounder than he really was. And now on Miami, he plays on a team that doesn't rebound well and plays a small lineup.

Larry Bird in the 4th quarter vs Lebron James in the 4th quarter. Who are you more nervous about if you're the opposing team? Who do you trust in the NBA Finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo
    Bird's one of the greatest passers the league's ever seen. I'm fine with people saying LeBron's the better overall player but let's keep it realistic here man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4

Watch and appreciate
    Bird is one of my favorite players of all time and both lebron and him are equally good passers. It is just that because of lebron's athleticism, he can make those passes even more than bird.
    see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA
    lebron makes all the passes bird has ever made. lebron's passes are faster too and he makes more of them every game.
    People who make lebron's athleticism a minus point are idiots and don't know shit about basketball.
    I would say Bird did more with little but why does that matter when you are looking to make a team? Jordan, kobe and shaq were/are all athletic freaks. No one wondered what jordan would do without his athleticism and no one should wonder what lebron would do without his athleticism.
    Lebron is a better player than bird but only a little better. You can go with bird and you wouldn't be much wrong either.

I take the baddest white boy in basketball history. Why? Because of the superior intelligence, heart, and innate fight within him.

LeBron might have the better physical tools, obviously, Bird probably more skilled outside of ball handling.

But it's the intangibles as to why I choose Bird over LeBron.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I really don't see how Lebron is a better passer, but you're claiming they're equal on the boards as well? Based on what? No reasonable person could come away with that opinion from watching them play and the stats favor Bird, and very heavily when context is applied.

Lebron did rebound very well in the 2012 playoffs, but compare it to Bird in some of his playoff runs, particularly 1981. For much of his career, I've thought Lebron's rebounding numbers have made him appear to be a better rebounder than he really was. And now on Miami, he plays on a team that doesn't rebound well and plays a small lineup.
    This.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Bird is my favorite player of all time, but as much as I hate to say it I will have to side with LeBron, but it's not ridiculous to go with Bird.

LeBron's ability to play PG & defend does it for me, but I do believe Bird had better court vision & was a better rebounder than LeBron.
    How can you say Bird is your favorite player when your nickname is 1987 Lakers??? Come on man.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto
    How can you say Bird is your favorite player when your nickname is 1987 Lakers??? Come on man.
    You think I give a shit?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigVeto
    Bird is one of my fav players and yet i would pick lebron over bird. I like Bird as a fan because he did more with less but as a GM i can't think like that. I have to pick the better player and lebron is a little better player than prime bird. Bird was the better rebounder though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    You give Lebron, Bird's athleticism and Lebron wouldn't even play in the NBA.

The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.

I don't know enough about Bird to comment, but you guys really need to be more consistent with your rankings. Stop talking about LeBron like he's going to be top 3 all time if he apparently isn't even close to Bird. Furthermore, rank Bird higher if he's so damn great. I've seen lots of people rank Bird in the lower half of the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    Bird is one of my favorite players of all time and both lebron and him are equally good passers. It is just that because of lebron's athleticism, he can make those passes even more than bird.
    see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-zhe-5ORA
    lebron makes all the passes bird has ever made. lebron's passes are faster too and he makes more of them every game.
    People who make lebron's athleticism a minus point are idiots and don't know shit about basketball.
    I would say Bird did more with little but why does that matter when you are looking to make a team? Jordan, kobe and shaq were/are all athletic freaks. No one wondered what jordan would do without his athleticism and no one should wonder what lebron would do without his athleticism.
    Lebron is a better player than bird but only a little better. You can go with bird and you wouldn't be much wrong either.

2:41 of QB-like passes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTI-Cmkp87A
    The speed, precision and length are crazy, show me Lebron doing those, Bird was a quarterback out there.

Even Magic amazed with Bird's passing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o66NdFDHEQ
    Show me Lebron doing some of those touch passes, touch catch-n-pass assists, some of those unbelievably flashy yet necessary passes, some of those where you don't see nothing happening then the ball hits the right guy on the spot.

15 minutes footage, blows everything by Lebron out of the water:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqDadqF3Ns

"Larry Bird's the greatest passing forward in the history of the nba. There's no 2nd place, there's no 3rd place, just others recieving votes.": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbFNQoY8RFk

All of those videos combine for over 30 minutes of unreal passing footage, from a guy who played back in the 80s. Lebron can't really **** with that and that 10 minute video doesn't cut it.

Lebron's a great passer but seriously, only somebody who didn't watch Bird think LBJ's a better passer.

Testament to that is the fact that their passing numbers are quite similar and Bird handled the ball way less, never really played PG like Lebron does, never was that ball dominant also.

Plus the rules and strategies help Lebron a lot. Look at all the 3pt shooters he had around over the years, lots of them, Bird had like Ainge only. With Lebron's passing ability, will and athleticism it's easy to drive and dish, doesn't take all that much passing skills. Those 3pt shooters also spread the floor so less crowded to make passes inside or to drive. There's also rules like defensive 3 seconds in the paint and so on, less physicality. Assists are also given like free candy nowadays.
    Bird wasn't getting the type of easy assists that you dribble for 22 seconds then make a pass to a 3pt shooter at the last moment or things of that nature. Or looking away to a spot where there's no one after the pass is completed to make it look like a no-look pass or something, he had real flash that but used it if necessary.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 05-23-2013 at 10:37 PM.