Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where will Russell Westbrook rank all time (both amongst PGs and overall)?

When his career is over, that is.

He's already got to be top 100 all time for sure.

I think he can finish top 30-45 on the GOAT list and top 5 amongst PGs.

Too high or too low?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Where will Russell Westbrook rank all time (both amongst PGs and overall)?

Top 5 PG.

Top 30 player. I don't think more than 20 players have ever actually been better than westbrook over the last 3 years. He's amazing.

Default Re: Where will Russell Westbrook rank all time (both amongst PGs and overall)?

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    Top 5 PG.

Top 30 player. I don't think more than 20 players have ever actually been better than westbrook over the last 3 years. He's amazing.
    He's ridiculous. I can honestly see him averaging something like 30 PPG 8 RPG and 10-11 APG this year. If he could only shoot 3s...

The absolute best case scenario I think for him would be top 15 all time but that's extremely unlikely. He does have a shot at top 25 but I think anywhere from 30-45 is most likely.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    He's ridiculous. I can honestly see him averaging something like 30 PPG 8 RPG and 10-11 APG this year. If he could only shoot 3s...

The absolute best case scenario I think for him would be top 15 all time but that's extremely unlikely. He does have a shot at top 25 but I think anywhere from 30-45 is most likely.
    Yeah, I read an ESPN journalist's comments and it said "Westbrook reminds me of charles barkley in that he'll have more indelible moments than actual accomplishments" and I'm like "Look at his stats." There's no way a 6'3" guard should be capable of what he is. Westbrook, for my money, is about as good as 06 Kobe I'd estimate.

I wish OKC would have brought in a steady PG( a Mike Conley type) and just move him to the SG spot. That would be epic as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    I wish OKC would have brought in a steady PG( a Mike Conley type) and just move him to the SG spot. That would be epic as ****.
    No, WB needs to be the main ballhandler. He would not be as effective otherwise.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Well he's not a PG so there goes that.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Well he's not a PG so there goes that.
    He averaged double digit assists last year. He's a PG whether or not he fits your definition of one.

No, WB needs to be the main ballhandler. He would not be as effective otherwise.
    I'd like to him in that situation over a season before agreeing with that conclusion.

True. A big part of WB's arsenal is his ability to exploit defenses in semi-trans when it's not quite set to get off shots. Like his pull up jumpers or just attacking the basket. You take the ball out of his hands and he isn't nearly as dangerous. He NEEDS to be ball dominant to be at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    True. A big part of WB's arsenal is his ability to exploit defenses in semi-trans when it's not quite set to get off shots. Like his pull up jumpers or just attacking the basket. You take the ball out of his hands and he isn't nearly as dangerous. He NEEDS to be ball dominant to be at his best.
    That part of his game isn't going to be impacted moving to the SG spot, if he's getting the ball off his own rebounds or outlets and going full-steam ahead in transition. He rebounds at such a clip that he can generate plenty of his own offense on the break, we're talking a 6'3 guard with that explosiveness that grabs 8 rebounds a game.

Very good NBA starter

i think he'll end up being ranked where t-mac is.

for those who forgot, t-mac was an explosive scoring machine (2-time scoring champ) and all-around player, a highlight reel almost every night. statistically, he had mvp-production type numbers for a while. and for a time, he was pretty much *automatic* selection for all-nba first or second team every year.

but he was never a serious mvp candidate though because his teams never dominated the W/L column, and he never achieved much in the playoffs. actually, his playoff record was terrible.

but for an individual player who could not win, t-mac was as elite as it gets.

westbrook might be in similar situation. he'll be a highlight reel this season and deliver mindblowing numbers... that's a no brainer, but what can he do in the playoffs? will he ever smell the conference finals again or is he gonna be a perennial first-round exit in his prime? we don't know what additions will be made on the oklahoma team. but if he has to do it alone, he'll probably taste what t-mac had to taste every year in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    That part of his game isn't going to be impacted moving to the SG spot, if he's getting the ball off his own rebounds or outlets and going full-steam ahead in transition. He rebounds at such a clip that he can generate plenty of his own offense on the break, we're talking a 6'3 guard with that explosiveness that grabs 8 rebounds a game.
    Also true, but think of the number of possessions he won't be able to exploit the D when the rebound is passed off to the PG instead of him. That adds up over the course of a season.

ESPN has him ranked I believe 49th all time. Sounds about right.

He has a lot more career left. Just think how high Steve Nash was ranked after he left Dallas. No where near Russell level and he was still an All-Star/All NBA talent.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    ESPN has him ranked I believe 49th all time. Sounds about right.

He has a lot more career left. Just think how high Steve Nash was ranked after he left Dallas. No where near Russell level and he was still an All-Star/All NBA talent.

nash was an anomaly. late 1-st round pick, sooooo unathletic by nba standards, but he could shoot like a mofo, and he had vision for the game. and nash always gladly deferred to lesser players if that was the better option. nash played how a traditional point guard was supposed to play, and he had the ball-sharing mentality.

but westbrook is a different animal -- he had a bit of mental trouble of even deferring to a wide-open kevin durant!?!

totally different mindsets.