Thread: Backspin

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

Default Backspin

Maybe somebody here has some piece of advise? Even though my jump shot is pretty solid it still lacks backspin after all these years and I feel like I'd be shooting better if my shot had more backspin. I've worked on the follow through, leg work, ball position in my hand etc. but nothing has really affected the ball rotation. I can shoot with decent spin when I'm close to the basket and really focus on it. But as soon as I shoot from further out or in a game situation the ball usually doesn't spin. I don't know if it has something to do with the position of my non-shooting hand or with the fact that I'm jumping (because it seems easier when I'm standing (e.g. free throws)... I can't see any obvious reason. I've even recorded myself and the shooting form looks ok. I find it even more confusing because I see absolut beginners with tons of back spin on their shots...

Has anybody here ever had the same problem and found a solution?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Backspin

It is tough to draw a conclusion without first seeing your shot. However, merely speculating, the off-hand might be the culprit, just as you suspected.

If your shooting hand has its fingers spread wide, with the rock resting on the pads of your fingers, and you're certain you snap your wrist and follow through, spin should occur naturally. One of the few ways to prevent spin would be if your left hand were somehow counteracting the work of the right (assuming your right is your strong hand).

Again, this is all speculative without a video, but I may suggest experimenting by holding your left hand completely straight during some practice shooting, as if you were going to use it to karate chop. Like this:

Try firing some jumpers with your off-hand straight in that manner, without gripping the ball with that hand. My little brother went the extra mile and made himself a paper plate contraption with finger slots, so his left hand could hold the plate like a glove and would thus be unable to use the off-hand as a means of propulsion. It more or less forced him to only shoot with his strong hand, with the lefty simply there for the sake of security.

If your shot still doesn't have spin after that, I may need a video.

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift4u
    Maybe somebody here has some piece of advise? Even though my jump shot is pretty solid it still lacks backspin after all these years and I feel like I'd be shooting better if my shot had more backspin. I've worked on the follow through, leg work, ball position in my hand etc. but nothing has really affected the ball rotation. I can shoot with decent spin when I'm close to the basket and really focus on it. But as soon as I shoot from further out or in a game situation the ball usually doesn't spin. I don't know if it has something to do with the position of my non-shooting hand or with the fact that I'm jumping (because it seems easier when I'm standing (e.g. free throws)... I can't see any obvious reason. I've even recorded myself and the shooting form looks ok. I find it even more confusing because I see absolut beginners with tons of back spin on their shots...

Has anybody here ever had the same problem and found a solution?
    There is always an obvious reason just by looking at the shot, what you may think is an ok form/shooting mechanic may actually not be an ok form/shooting mechanic.... so i would love to see you post a video of you attempting a shot if possible? I suspect you are not using your wrist enough (must flick/snap that baby down!).

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    There is always an obvious reason just by looking at the shot, what you may think is an ok form/shooting mechanic may actually not be an ok form/shooting mechanic.... so i would love to see you post a video of you attempting a shot if possible? I suspect you are not using your wrist enough (must flick/snap that baby down!).
    Gotta reach into that cookie jar!!!

Serious playground baller

Make sure you have a "wrinkled wrist" on your shooting hand. I always teach point to the basket instead of hand in the cookie jar and it works well if your holding the ball correctly

thanks for your help guys. I'll give it a try. I might make a short video in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Make sure you have a "wrinkled wrist" on your shooting hand. I always teach point to the basket instead of hand in the cookie jar and it works well if your holding the ball correctly

What do you mean by "wrinkled wrist" ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2swift4u
    What do you mean by "wrinkled wrist" ?
    he means bend your wrist back as far as it can go so that the skin on your wrist gets wrinkled

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    he means bend your wrist back as far as it can go so that the skin on your wrist gets wrinkled
    oh I got it now - thanks!