Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tomb Raider is awesome

Just finished the Definitive Edition and I agree. It's much better than any Uncharted game at everything but fleshing out the side characters.

Cannot wait for the sequel

National High School Star

I would have to disagree with you, although i did love both games, and have pretty much every Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider, while a lot better then the rest of the Tomb Raider games and i'm glad they're heading in a positive direction, was pretty much a slightly worse clone of Uncharted. (Like Watch Dogs is to GTA)

It was also a bit comical how Lara's first kill was so dramatic then 2 seconds latter she is on a mass murdering rampage.
    Uncharted is leaps and bounds better at character development and also the relationships between characters.
    I feel the shooting mechanics, climbing, cover system, movement is all better in Uncharted.
    I did prefer Tomb Raider though for the creepy blood sort of stuff they did, like when under that shack or in that cave with all the bodies, that was a big plus.

It would be awesome if Tomb Raider headed a little bit more towards like survival horror in tombs and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    I would have to disagree with you, although i did love both games, and have pretty much every Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider, while a lot better then the rest of the Tomb Raider games and i'm glad they're heading in a positive direction, was pretty much a slightly worse clone of Uncharted. (Like Watch Dogs is to GTA)

It was also a bit comical how Lara's first kill was so dramatic then 2 seconds latter she is on a mass murdering rampage.
    Uncharted is leaps and bounds better at character development and also the relationships between characters.
    I feel the shooting mechanics, climbing, cover system, movement is all better in Uncharted.
    I did prefer Tomb Raider though for the creepy blood sort of stuff they did, like when under that shack or in that cave with all the bodies, that was a big plus.

It would be awesome if Tomb Raider headed a little bit more towards like survival horror in tombs and stuff
    I agree with the bolded part. Which is weird because I'm not a big fan of creepy shit usually, but it really showcased how ****ed up the people on that island had become.

Honestly I feel like this Tomb Raider was better than the Uncharted ones. Maybe not the story (although it's very good and respectable). But the tombs were amazing, and a couple were challenging. But I preferred the Tomb Raider controls more than the Uncharted ones. It's just funny because Uncharted obviously borrowed a lot from the Tomb Raider games, then finally we get a good Tomb Raider game that borrows heavily from Uncharted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I agree with the bolded part. Which is weird because I'm not a big fan of creepy shit usually, but it really showcased how ****ed up the people on that island had become.

Honestly I feel like this Tomb Raider was better than the Uncharted ones. Maybe not the story (although it's very good and respectable). But the tombs were amazing, and a couple were challenging. But I preferred the Tomb Raider controls more than the Uncharted ones. It's just funny because Uncharted obviously borrowed a lot from the Tomb Raider games, then finally we get a good Tomb Raider game that borrows heavily from Uncharted.
    I see what you're saying here and i agree completely to a point, Uncharted came out while Tomb Raider was still smashing out the same games, same controls and really going no where fast expect down.

Uncharted came out with a superior control scheme, yeah the basic ideas were Tomb Raideresque, but it was fresh & revitalized.

The tombs on Tomb Raider i thought were nice, but i think the reward at the end of each tomb should have been greater and more meaningful.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

It was enough different for me. I do think the jump from Uncharted 1 (which was an awesome game) to 2 (which is an alltimer), made the move to 3 feel a little disappointing. And I loved three, beat it several times, got the platinum trophy, I still believe that even in a vaccuum that 2 is better.

But that sort of lateral feeling we got from 2 to 3 I think made the Tomb Raider reboot feel even fresher. It felt enough different that almost felt like the sequel UC3 was supposed to be.

But again, in a vaccuum, I still think UC3 was better. Mostly because of the story. But the things that make Tomb Raider compete for me was the mazier approach to the game layout, which was awesome. The way we kept adventuring in different areas only to be spit back into that main hub, and then we'd get new tools to make previously unreachable areas reachable. And the upgrades to the weapons and the skills were a really nice touch to me, and something we haven't seen any of in the UC series. That to me were the elements that I liked better than what we've gotten from UC. But the story and character work, along with the animation and combat controls, still make UC just a tick ahead.

Both great games though. Can't wait for both sequels.

Yeah, I don't want people thinking i hated the game, quote the opposite, i loved it. I'm even one of these people who bought it twice, once on ps3 and once on ps4.

The best bit i reckon was where you come up to the bridge of the final temple and those 2 Samurai kill that dude.

I'm hoping the next Tomb Raider delves further into the mystical mythology sort of stuff. Those were the best bits of this Tomb Raider.

Got the definitive edition for $7.50 US because of the price and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The ending was one of the most fun endings to a video game I've ever played. Finished the game at 100% with a smidgeon of help.

I used to play the old Playstation versions when I was 11-12 years old so it was probably more rewarding to play this game for those reasons.

Now I'm fiending to play the newest one but will probably wait for the price to go low

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Can't get into the new one. Maybe just not my type of game.

I will say, though, it's the best looking console game I've played.

Should be in that year end window for the PS4. I am definitely looking forward to it. It'll be interesting coming off of UC4 in April.

I haven't played the new one as i need to wait for it to release on PS$, but for those that have. Does it go with more mythical style story line and tombs? Or is it just guys with guns?

Saw a basketball once

RotTR's frst coming was killed by clumsy release overlapping with FO4, the game is likely much better than bad hype induced by low sales it got back then.

I'm now a few hours into the newer one. I'm enjoying the hell out of it again. Really overdoing it with the hunting in the main hub section so I can push my upgrades further along then they probably should be at this point. Clearing out map features. Just the sort of OCD stuff I like without feeling overcooked by some serious RPG. And the action has played well, really love the bow just like last game. Graphically it's right at the top of the spectrum.

The first part of it was a bit tough to get through. The story set up with the flashback and a bit of a puzzle that felt a little too straightforward, but now I seem to be moving. I probably won't even remember that opening. And I'm really not very far in. Just finishing the first populated level. I'm interested enough that I'm certain I'd be much further along if I had more time (work and coaching is brutal so far), but with most of my TV watching stuff drying up for the year end, and hopefully a few shorter days as the holidays approach (schools closing means no basketball practice), I'm hoping I can get a ways into it.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'm now a few hours into the newer one. I'm enjoying the hell out of it again. Really overdoing it with the hunting in the main hub section so I can push my upgrades further along then they probably should be at this point. Clearing out map features. Just the sort of OCD stuff I like without feeling overcooked by some serious RPG. And the action has played well, really love the bow just like last game. Graphically it's right at the top of the spectrum.

The first part of it was a bit tough to get through. The story set up with the flashback and a bit of a puzzle that felt a little too straightforward, but now I seem to be moving. I probably won't even remember that opening. And I'm really not very far in. Just finishing the first populated level. I'm interested enough that I'm certain I'd be much further along if I had more time (work and coaching is brutal so far), but with most of my TV watching stuff drying up for the year end, and hopefully a few shorter days as the holidays approach (schools closing means no basketball practice), I'm hoping I can get a ways into it.
    I've enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm no completionist....so I'm not gonna find everything nor do every challenge tomb. I'm in the last stage. I love the combat vs UC for what you mentioned about the upgrades. Overall, I'm with you...UC wins by a tick.

Finished over the long weekend. I think I'm at 97% on the Geothermal Valley level, and 100% on everything else. I believe I'm missing one challenge, and I never even found it. I looked it up, and I guess it's throwing pumpkins into buckets on the far side of that level. I've got a number of other stupid trophies too, but not quite all of them, and I don't think I'll be hunting for them, because I'll never get them all, because there are a ton of multiplayer trophies.

Overall just an excellent design. I really love the looping back to re-explore old areas. I wish it loaded faster in the fast travel. And it sort of pushes you out of areas completely a little too fast. For example, I thought the Russian Installation would be the main area, but once you get through to the valley, you almost don't need to back. But part of that I'm sure is me going back immediately with every upgrade to find out what I can do now.

Anyway, excellent game. And again feels underrated. Just don't hear much about it. I'd think it'd be a GotY candidate, but I don't know if it's even eligible considering the timed release. I don't know how this shit works anymore. A lot of times it seems the remasters are the best things that come out in a year.

I got this for Christmas, so fun.

Love this new rendition on the Lara Croft games. There is so much to do and I can explore amazing looking ancient environments while being a fatass on the couch.