Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is the Eurostep a travel?

Decent playground baller thelucifer69's Avatar

The proper Eurostep is not travel.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    No, as soon as you palm the ball or the ball is in your hands you are allowed to take 2 more steps. I'm not surprised that many people believe it is a travel because many people do not realize that those are the rules, not to mention how fast and quick these NBA players are that sometimes officials might not call it when someone does not properly execute the euro-step/2-step.
    So are you saying that as long as i don't palm the ball on my dribble (meaning keep my hand on top of the ball) I could take 3 steps, palm it, take two steps and finish?

That's the crab dribble right there

im a superhero

its just like a normal layup. except your steps are pushing to the side instead of straight forward. how is that a travel? i dont understand how this is trivial at all...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    So are you saying that as long as i don't palm the ball on my dribble (meaning keep my hand on top of the ball) I could take 3 steps, palm it, take two steps and finish?

That's the crab dribble right there
    A player who receives the ball while in progress or upon completing his dribble is allowed a one-two count after gathering the ball and preparing to stop, pass or shoot.
    http://www.nba.com/features/misunder...html#Traveling

If the two-step/euro-step is a travel then Dirk definitely traveled in that game 4 of the Finals when he hit that layup that gave the Mavericks a 3 point lead at the end of the game.

You could also travel ya know. But you need to be a superstar for it not to be called.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by thelucifer69
    The proper Eurostep is not travel.
    I concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    its just like a normal layup. except your steps are pushing to the side instead of straight forward.
    This is correct. Quite honestly, at its core, the Euro-step is a direct descendant of a routine layup, only featuring two side steps (or a side step to return step) instead of the traditional straight forward steps.

As others have said, I frequently use this move while playing and I used to have my 7th graders run Euro-step drills in practice. It's an excellent, fundamental skill for every player to develop.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

If the two-step/euro-step is a travel then Dirk definitely traveled in that game 4 of the Finals when he hit that layup that gave the Mavericks a 3 point lead at the end of the game.
    i specifically remember two end game situations in the finals with Bosh guarding Dirk whrere he travels to get by him and hit a layup. That's probably one of the instances your talking about.

Also of all the games i've seen Wade play, he travels like 90% of the time i've seen him eurostep

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

The brilliance of Mr. Stern, not defining what gathering the ball actually means so you can call it however you please.

For me you've gathered the ball as soon as you can't dribble anymore without it being a violation and for others it means when the ball is in both hands...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mach_3
    i specifically remember two end game situations in the finals with Bosh guarding Dirk whrere he travels to get by him and hit a layup. That's probably one of the instances your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Floppy
    The brilliance of Mr. Stern, not defining what gathering the ball actually means so you can call it however you please.

For me you've gathered the ball as soon as you can't dribble anymore without it being a violation and for others it means when the ball is in both hands...
    Thanks to Phong from a thread about year ago discussing Dirk's travel in the Finals.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Floppy
    I kind of like your definition. However, I would find such a standard to be very tough to enforce on the fly. In a game officiated in real-time, I think a lot of close calls come down to feel and looks rather than technical execution. As in, it seems like it'd take a lot to process the idea of whether a player could have continued dribbling legally or not based upon where the ball was in their hands, thus influencing whether their two steps have begun.

The gather itself seems a little open to interpretation and that creates a lot of situations that differ from one another.