Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I usually hit open layups

Default Re: LeBron James = 1st player in playoff history 38.5ppg 8.3reb 8ast will Kobe match it?

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz
    When you look at Jordan's performances in the 91 and 93 Finals, you can see why he is the greatest.

1991 = In the 1991 NBA Finals Jordan posted per game averages of 31.2 points on 56% shooting from the field, 11.4 assists, 6.6 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 1.4 blocks. Jordan won his first NBA Finals MVP award by a unanimous decision, and he cried while holding the NBA Finals trophy.

1993 = In the 1993 NBA Finals Jordan averaged a Finals-record 41.0 ppg during the six-game series, 8.5 rebounds, 6.3 assists, .67 blocks, 1.67steals, and became the first player in NBA history to win three straight Finals MVP awards. Jordan scored more than 30 points in every game of the series, including 40 or more points in 4 consecutive Finals games, an NBA finals record which has never been threatened.

The fact remains though that Jordan never averaged 38+ 8 and 8 for an entire playoff series. What LeBron did in that series should not be understated. Even at the risk of overstating it.
    LeBron had a great individual series. I just don't know how those numbers stack up when they didn't produce the greatest results.

In my opinion the Cavs deviated far too much from what made them successful in the regular season by putting the ball almost primarily in LeBron's hands. What good are 8 assists if your team only gets 17 in all? If those 9 other team assists are primarily to other guys and not to you it just extrapolates the offensive issues that the team has.

I liken it to Kobe averaging 35-5-4. Wow that sure is great and all, but it was really hard to watch knowing that the offensive philosophy wasn't going to net the Lakers much at the end of the season. It may have been needed due to the team makeup but it can hardly be regarded as a shining moment in his career. He probably would say as much as well. Winners don't care about numbers they care about rings.

Default Re: LeBron James = 1st player in playoff history 38.5ppg 8.3reb 8ast will Kobe match it?

LeBron didn't average 38+ 8+ and 8 in any series up til now. The guy had the best year of his career (incl playoffs). Too bad his team isn't up to championship standards yet or we could have watched the Kobe vs LeBron thing play-out right on the court. So now, those of us who know those are the two most popular players, we have one option, compare how they perform against the exact same team.
    You've compared him before. We don't need to hear about it yet again. Stop hanging of his nuts. Please.

When you first came here, a lot of people had respect for you. Now you're littering the main forum with LeBron threads left and right. A lot of people just don't want to hear it anymore. You're making yourself out like a foul, and if you're going to say, "I don't care." Then please don't post here anymore if you don't care so much.

Didn't you mention a while back or on something that you had a family like a kid or wife and something?

Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanlakers
    LeBron had a great individual series. I just don't know how those numbers stack up when they didn't produce the greatest results.

In my opinion the Cavs deviated far too much from what made them successful in the regular season by putting the ball almost primarily in LeBron's hands. What good are 8 assists if your team only gets 17 in all? If those 9 other team assists are primarily to other guys and not to you it just extrapolates the offensive issues that the team has.

I liken it to Kobe averaging 35-5-4. Wow that sure is great and all, but it was really hard to watch knowing that the offensive philosophy wasn't going to net the Lakers much at the end of the season. It may have been needed due to the team makeup but it can hardly be regarded as a shining moment in his career. He probably would say as much as well. Winners don't care about numbers they care about rings.
    I agree, this isn't a topic that Kobe or LeBron would publicly admit to caring about. As fans of the game though, there is little harm in comparing the way two popular players perform against the exact same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    You've compared him before. We don't need to hear about it yet again. Stop hanging of his nuts. Please.

When you first came here, a lot of people had respect for you. Now you're littering the main forum with LeBron threads left and right. A lot of people just don't want to hear it anymore. You're making yourself out like a foul, and if you're going to say, "I don't care." Then please don't post here anymore if you don't care so much.

Didn't you mention a while back or on something that you had a family like a kid or wife and something?
    That's where I stopped reading.

I agree, this isn't a topic that Kobe or LeBron would publicly admit to caring about. As fans of the game though, there is little harm in comparing the way two popular players perform against the exact same team.
    I agree. Though the fact remains that each player has a different style of play and obvious physical differences. I'd say that and their offensive team philosophy really determines their difference in numbers.

To be honest I don't want Kobe averaging 38-8-8 if he doesn't have to.

I agree. Though the fact remains that each player has a different style of play and obvious physical differences. I'd say that and their offensive team philosophy really determines their difference in numbers.

To be honest I don't want Kobe averaging 38-8-8 if he doesn't have to.
    I appreciate your honesty. LeBron shouldn't need to put up those type of numbers either, just like Jordan shouldn't have needed to carry the load for the first 3 titles, as much as he did. Thankfully Jerry Krause woke up and brought in better talent around him for the second three-peat. So far so good for you Kobe/Lakers fans. If the Magic don't remember how to shoot the basketball, quick, I'm gonna eat crow. Which I'm fine with.

I appreciate your honesty. LeBron shouldn't need to put up those type of numbers either, just like Jordan shouldn't have needed to carry the load for the first 3 titles, as much as he did. Thankfully Jerry Krause woke up and brought in better talent around him for the second three-peat. So far so good for you Kobe/Lakers fans. If the Magic don't remember how to shoot the basketball, quick, I'm gonna eat crow. Which I'm fine with.
    They missed some open shots for sure. I think the Lakers played great defense and contested shots though. They sure as hell did their best to stay at home on the shooters and give moderate help on Dwight when needed, which was exactly what I was hoping for.

That's where I stopped reading.
    Don't you have a wife and kid or something?

They missed some open shots for sure. I think the Lakers played great defense and contested shots though. They sure as hell did their best to stay at home on the shooters and give moderate help on Dwight when needed, which was exactly what I was hoping for.
    The thing I was most impressed with is the way the Lakers defended the screens as well as pick-n-rolls. The Lakers defense deserves a lot of the credit for sure.

bruce,

Spend time with your kid and or wife. Stop making 5+ channels on YouTube and dedicating your life to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    bruce,

Spend time with your kid and or wife. Stop making 5+ channels on YouTube and dedicating your life to nothing.
    Gee, thanks for the advice life-coach. I'm sure a lot of avid basketball fans have families. It takes virtually little time for me to create a video by the way. Your misconceptions of my life are interesting and I just will visually ignore your posts from here on out.

The thing I was most impressed with is the way the Lakers defended the screens as well as pick-n-rolls. The Lakers defense deserves a lot of the credit for sure.
    The Magic offense presents the three biggest issues against the Laker defense.

Good 3 point shooters.

Dominant big man.

Great pick n roll.

I was pleasantly surprised that all three of those were non factors last night. I hope they keep it up. Watching the game it didn't look like a fluke, I have faith that it truly isn't one.

The Magic offense presents the three biggest issues against the Laker defense.

Good 3 point shooters.

Dominant big man.

Great pick n roll.

I was pleasantly surprised that all three of those were non factors last night. I hope they keep it up. Watching the game it didn't look like a fluke, I have faith that it truly isn't one.
    No, I agree that it was no fluke, the Lakers flat out played better. That being said we can't expect the Magic to shoot 29% for the entire series as well as Dwight Howard going 1-6 in every game. One things for sure, game 2 will make or break the series for Orlando. If Orlando can win game 2, they have a good shot at making this a real series. Key word being "if". They need to drastically play better than game 1 and they will need to defend the Lakers team better, as well as Kobe. Kobe got off a lot of good looks and made some tough shots as well.

Gee, thanks for the advice life-coach. I'm sure a lot of avid basketball fans have families. It takes virtually little time for me to create a video by the way. Your misconceptions of my life are interesting and I just will visually ignore your posts from here on out.
    You pay too much attention on what players numbers. You define the definition of stickman if there ever was one. I don't care if LeBron averaged 60/10/10. The Cavaliers lost the series and ultimately nothing was accomplished this season by LeBron except a hallowed out MVP award that amounts to nothing when it's all said and done for the 08-09 season.

No, I agree that it was no fluke, the Lakers flat out played better. That being said we can't expect the Magic to shoot 29% for the entire series as well as Dwight Howard going 1-6 in every game. One things for sure, game 2 will make or break the series for Orlando. If Orlando can win game 2, they have a good shot at making this a real series. Key word being "if". They need to drastically play better than game 1 and they will need to defend the Lakers team better, as well as Kobe. Kobe got off a lot of good looks and made some tough shots as well.
    The Magic won't shoot that bad again I'm sure. Dwight drew fouls on Bynum as usual but still was bothered by LA's length, that much was obvious. I can't say for sure what changed between the two regular season meetings and this one. One thing I can say is that aside from a few instances so far, Dwight hasn't been the go-to guy in the 4th quarter, that is their shooters. They better fix their 3 philosophy if they want to get competitive.

I also doubt the Lakers will only shoot 2 free throws in the first half to the Magic's 16 next game.