Originally Posted by plUto or bUst
Play of his career.
If von wafer can do it, I don't see why many other guys in the league don't do it. I'm surprised someone like Westbrook doesn't have more of these. He should just streak to the basket every time Kendrick Perkins shoots a free throw.
I think it's a classic case of picking your spot, which is why it's so rare. If Westbrook always crashed like that, teams would recognize this almost immediately and his clear path would be nullified from that point forward. It's usually a "catch people sleeping" situation.
To further compound the unlikelihood of this situation, even if a player attempts to crash the paint from the arc every single time a free throw is shot, they're going to be sprinting for nothing probably about 75% of the time (a team's average free throw percentage). Further, the chances one of the 25% of misses coming off the rim in a timely fashion at just the right spot is even lower. Plus, the chances of a slew of big men not already swarming around the board depletes the opportunity even further.
Through it all, it's likely a poor way to expend someone's energy in the long run.