Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Ancient Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    HAHA! Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Colbertnation64
    You need to educate yourself on the pre-columbian central and south american cultures, some crazy stuff going on there...

They did have media, it was the murals they made and the art they created.

Take the Moche for instance. They found pottery with very violent depictions of a sacrifice in which the loser of a contest(they would fight with swords intending to knock the helm of the other) would get their throat sliced open and their blood would be drunk by the winner. This was a sacrifice to the god of rain.

Sounds too crazy to be true right? Just a story?

That's what scholars believed too, but they came across a site that contained hundreds of skeletons. All separate by different layers of soil. After studying the soil, they determined they were killed around the time of rain. In the area they lived in you could go 30 years without any kind of rain. It started to become apparent that this was some sort of sacrifice to the gods for the rain.

So how did they die? They had an expert take a look at each skeleton and find out the cause of death. What did he found? Knife marks that went so deep into their throat it actually made a mark on the bone...
    Like I said, I'm sure sacrifices happened, but to insinuate that a popular game was many times played to the death is ignorant by the people who re create the history. It's like saying that tomorrow if I go play basketball with my friend, the one who loses is going to happy kill, or let someone else decapitate him as a sacrifice to the god. Society just doesn't work that way, these people would'nt last.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Like I said, I'm sure sacrifices happened, but to insinuate that a popular game was many times played to the death is ignorant by the people who re create the history. It's like saying that tomorrow if I go play basketball with my friend, the one who loses is going to happy kill, or let someone else decapitate him as a sacrifice to the god. Society just doesn't work that way, these people would'nt last.
    That's part of the reason, combined with drought, that drove the Mayans to their own extinction.

Looks like that shit from firefly.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
    Wonder what Montezuma's PER was.

Post of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Looks like that shit from firefly.
    oh my god... what could it be? we're all doomed! who's flying this thing?!

I usually hit open layups

Dunking was awesome back then

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I think the being sacrifice is bullshit, because that's what happens when stories are passed down from people to people. It was the most popular game, meaning that a lot of people played it, and maybe one day somebody played for something really important, in the similar way on occasion someone might play for money.

If we had no media, in 3,000 years they might have said that we used to play basketball, and the losers had to fight a mountain lion, just because that Wilt story would confuse someone as the story gets told from person to person.
    Religion