Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: How where you taught to shoot?

When I was 7 yrs old I just chucked the ball up there like I was doing shot-put.

Then I started using a smaller ball and also played nerf hoops. I think that stuff helps you have a regular form when you are young.

In the summer before middle school i really worked on my shot and tried to get my form down. It took an hour of shooting every day to get it right.

I don't think you really need a coach though...just look at youtube videos and just know the basics (don't use your palms, use your finger tips...align your right elbow with the basket in front of you, etc)

Self taught at the age of 10 watching Dale Ellis, Glen Rice, Reggie Miller, Drazen Petrovic, Mark Price and Pete Maravichs VHS tapes "Homework Basketball:Shooting". Lots of hours everyday shooting the ball...

By the time i played organized basketball and had a coach i was teaching HIM how to shoot.
    Last edited by pauk; 08-30-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    My pops and in the United States of America. On a basketball court, even.

I started playing ball when I was 3 so.. I didn't initially learn to shoot properly. I couldn't even get the ball to reach 10 feet rims until at least 5, I think. And even then, they were mostly push shots from the shoulder.

Around 7 or 8 is when I got really comfortable with 10 foot hoops. By that time, I had 2 years of club basketball under my belt and strong idea of how I felt comfortable shooting the ball. No one was changing it after that much repetition.

The only time I ever had to alter with my shot was when after I first started lifting in high school. Very minimal changes, though.

So unfortunately I shoot a little like Matt Bonner, except not even close to as accurate.

I was working with a kid this summer, it was minimal and only for about 30 minutes. I wanted to help him because I think he has a shot at going pro if he becomes a good shooter. We didn't do more about it and now I know why, he told one of my players who also plays with him on a different team that he couldn't make "big" changes in his shot at his age.
    I've heard it plenty of times before and it's kind of what you're discribing now, "after that much repitition no one is going to change my shot", it's very common. To me though that's like giving up, if after that much repitition you're not close to being a good shooter then what makes you think it's going to change?

i had lots of different coaches, each that emphasised a different aspect

shoulders square to the basket, bend your knees, make an 'L' shape with your arm, release straight up, and follow through.

one coach empasised aiming for the inside of the back of the rim, and that helped me a lot.
    That's interesting, I think that is a very good tip. I would actually say just focus inside the middle of the basket, but since you have too look at something that equates to the back of the rim and just a few inches down.

Some of my players who are playing multiple teams are actually being taught on another team to focus on THE FRONT of the rim
    It just has to increase the chances of going short by a lot doing that. It's the same as throwing a paper ball in a trash can, you'd also look in the middle of the can and not the front.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Self taught at the age of 10 watching Dale Ellis, Glen Rice, Reggie Miller, Drazen Petrovic, Mark Price and Pete Maravichs VHS tapes "Homework Basketball:Shooting". Lots of hours everyday shooting the ball...

By the time i played organized basketball and had a coach i was teaching HIM how to shoot.
    Cool

So how do you shoot?

I just learned myself idk. I apparently have the a very ugly shot but it's pretty effective. If i had to compare i just it would look like a combo of Peja and Kevin Martin from like 2k10 when he had the fuc.ked up release lol.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    shoulders square to the basket, bend your knees, make an 'L' shape with your arm, release straight up, and follow through.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've been fortunate throughout my life to have many coaches who all more or less stuck to the core basics of shooting (feet square, elbow in, snap wrist, follow through). And contrary to a lot of fellow players, I never really had anyone telling me where to look when I shoot. In fact, I'm still not sure whether I aim toward the front of the rim or back of the rim. I feel like I just aim "in".

Anyhow, I think my biggest derivation from standard shooting form is my wide base. When I was in elementary school I used to try to model my shot after my favorite player (David Robinson) but I realized his J was a little too unconventional for my tastes (seemed like his off hand was on top of the ball). As such, I used his teammate Sean Elliott as my guide. Hence, the wide base and the slightly lower than conventional elevation.

We've had a thread about shooting happening in the Streetball forum for a few weeks, so here's a .gif I contributed over there of me shooting as a sophomore in high school.

Last edited by Rake2204; 08-30-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    I was working with a kid this summer, it was minimal and only for about 30 minutes. I wanted to help him because I think he has a shot at going pro if he becomes a good shooter. We didn't do more about it and now I know why, he told one of my players who also plays with him on a different team that he couldn't make "big" changes in his shot at his age.
    I've heard it plenty of times before and it's kind of what you're discribing now, "after that much repitition no one is going to change my shot", it's very common. To me though that's like giving up, if after that much repitition you're not close to being a good shooter then what makes you think it's going to change?
    What? I didn't say I was Chuck Hayes. I was efficient from the free throw line (I believe somewhere upwards of 84-ish for my high school career) and "automatic", so to speak, in the mid range. Ironically, since I compared my release to that of Matt Bonner, I admit that my perimeter shooting was not good. Also I'm someone who shoots free throws differently from my flatfooted shot during game action.

I'm in the boat that believes you shoot with what works. Ray Allen's shooting mechanics aren't perfect (it's great, just not classically perfect), but he's consistent with what he does. You pick out two random shots of his in a similar situation and I guarantee the two shots will be exactly the same.

Peja and Redd were great shooters in their heyday, and neither have mechanics you would want to teach a kid.

Now I'm not saying just because you make a few shots, you should try to perfect that technique. There are certainly qualities to take from the so-called "perfect shooting stroke" what will likely to make improvements on any jump shot. I just don't believe you need to shoot with perfect technique to be a good shooter. You don't even necessarily need to attempt to shoot like that to even reach your plateau as a shooter.

Serious playground baller

Youtube videos.

I shoot approx. 20% from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've been fortunate throughout my life to have many coaches who all more or less stuck to the core basics of shooting (feet square, elbow in, snap wrist, follow through). And contrary to a lot of fellow players, I never really had anyone telling me where to look when I shoot. In fact, I'm still not sure whether I aim toward the front of the rim or back of the rim. I feel like I just aim "in".

Anyhow, I think my biggest derivation from standard shooting form is my wide base. When I was in elementary school I used to try to model my shot after my favorite player (David Robinson) but I realized his J was a little too unconventional for my tastes (seemed like his off hand was on top of the ball). As such, I used his teammate Sean Elliott as my guide. Hence, the wide base and the slightly lower than conventional elevation.

We've had a thread about shooting happening in the Streetball forum for a few weeks, so here's a .gif I contributed over there of me shooting as a sophomore in high school.

Nice form!

Local High School Star

Like a grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Cool

So how do you shoot?
    How good or how the stroke/form/release/jumper looks like?

Stroke is textbook, i made sure it is, looks something like this when i shoot (which is what i consider extremly textbook):

How good, i can firmly say around a 88-95% FT shooter and just a pure shooter overall, dont know my ingame percentage from 3's but i would assume its somewhere 40-50%, in practice / open shots / set shots i hit higher than that and can go in rythm of hitting plenty of them in a row.

Its no braging really, i am just honest, i am a true bball addict that spends up to 8 hours almost everyday mostly just shooting, in rain, in snow, who cares, have warm clothes and am taking a shower later anyways no matter the weather condition, there is a rim and a ball and as long as those work there is no trouble.

Said this many times here before, some didnt believe me, i can record myself shooting and upload the video here if anybody is interested. :)
    Last edited by pauk; 08-30-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Said this many times here before, some didnt believe me, i can record myself shooting and upload the video here if anybody is interested. :)
    I am. I started playing basketball at the turn of the year and enjoy watching amateur footage of one on one basketball as well as shooting drills. This video of Steve Nash's workout which he condensed to 20 minutes is great, but it's rare to find something by professionals which is in-depth and has as much variety Nash displayed.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

LOL at the guy trying to block your shot from 10 feet away.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neilio23
    LOL at the guy trying to block your shot from 10 feet away.
    Hes' trying to distract the shooter. Hands always in the air if you're in the vicinity.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

I learned myself . At the begging I went outside and shoot for an hour or two and after some time ( when I started to fell good with my release ) I started shooting untill I hit 100 shoots . I'm very good shooter now but inconsistant ( only when it comes to 3pt shooting ) and I think my shooting form is nice but I'm still working on it . Best tip I got is to aim the back of the rim and I can tell you it helps alot .