Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Don't make a fool of yourself young man you never saw him play

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    It might have to deal with the fact that his numbers are inflated duo to pace and he really didn't accomplishes much in terms of team success(Only one 50 win team when he was in Cincy).

Oscar is an all-time great, but it is ridiculous to think he isn't a top ten player.

WHen I hear this pace of game sillyness I wonder what makes you think maybe he might have picked his pace up if he played today .So throw that out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    It's sports. Age\gender\race etc. no matter what there's always going to be some sort of bias for everybody. For every crazy 15 year old LeBron fanbody there's some old ass Celtics fan who think's Rondo is the best ever. Have you listened to announcers? Have you seen sports shows? Those are kid's those are grown men. You have Yankee fans stabbing RedSox fans. Bias, stupidity, craziness in sports is never just one age group.

I'm not talking about ISH and basketball forums only here, I'm talking about in general.
    Obviously but all Im saying is that an older mature person is MOST likely to have an advantage being objective...Tards grow up to be tards...but OBJECTIVE fans with some intelligence will only get smarter as they age. For example idk if we would agree on everything but you seem like a respectable poster...I'd take your opinion FAR more seriously then I would someone like KOBE143

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    I can respect your opinions Nuggets fan. I guess that my point today we know the PG for the Kings No disrespect to Tyree but Gail was just as good if not better. Im just saying for the young guys to love and learn the game. But FYI Gail played in the backcourt with West . Played at UCLA on one of the first of the great Wooden teams . But I respect you wish more young guys were like you
    I can dig it. Experience obviously will always be a factor. A 40 year old that surfs the internet and researches\watched basketball like a 16 year old kid but has been doing it for longer, clearly will probably know more. Been doing it for longer. It's just what's available now is insane.

I'm only 21 year old but I'm jealous of all the little kids growing up. The 9 year old kids who love\will go on to love basketball at a hardcore level are laughing right now.

I'm sure there's tons of people who got to watch hours apon hours of games, alot of those who do go on to tell about it so we can know what they know.
    There is difference between simply hearing something second hand and rushing though clips of footage and actually having absorbed it on your own over time and had it fed to you piecemeal. The way you understand something right now, is completely different than the way you'll understand something in two years.

Watching something does not equal understanding it.

For instance, you can watch hundreds of hours of Kobe footage and not notice that Kobe changed the follow through on his shot midway through his career.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

OK lets take Kareem. He was a beast almost up til he was 40. Won MVP's titles everything. I went to the 2 games in Baltimore when the Bucks beat my Bullets. i remember seeing one game on TV. All I knew was I been a Oscar fan every since. People say Shaq was better than Kareem I say get outta here. Really it isnt even close to me.Im not being bias kareem was just that good.When I hear people go oh oh and aw aw about LBj 6'8 running the PG . I saw that before the biggest PG of his era O being unstopable . So sorry as posted earlier what you young guys thin is special. To us is just a very good basketball player
    Shaq at his peak may have been the best player to ever play the game. Kareem is higher on the GOAT list due to his longevity and resume, but thinking Shaq was better then Kareem isn't nonsense.

People tend to forget that players whom are usually on the GOAT lists are relatively close together and that rankings usually come done to resumes.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    I dont agree, the average NBA fan no matter the knowledge they have of the previous stars will always have time Bias...it takes a RARE type of KID to be able to get past that...Thats why an adult perspective will ALWAYS be a little more respectable when it comes to things like this IMO....For example, you're the same age I am...Idk about you, but I can't take MOST 14 or 15 year olds seriously.. While you can say adults have a time bias as well..but just like the RARE breed of kids, there are adults who can look at everything objectively as well...and because of a bunch of different factors Im assuming there are more objective adults then teens...to say that Adults don't have an advantage is somewhat silly IMO..."Under most laws, young people are recognized as adults at age 18. But emerging science about brain development suggests that most people don't reach full maturity until the age 25. Guest host Tony Cox discusses the research and its implications with Sandra Aamodt, neuroscientist and co-author of the book Welcome to Your Child's Brain." Maturity goes a long way, even in discussing basketball IMO

(thats not the quote I was disagreeing with lol...whoops)
    I say all the time that if I could take the mind that I have now and place it back in my 14 year old body, I would dominate high school. There is something about the maturity of people that are older than 25 that's amazing ( sometimes they don't get it til 30 though). It's like your able to see life from a different perspective

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    There is difference between simply hearing something second hand and rushing though clips of footage and actually having absorbed it on your own over time and had it fed to you piecemeal. The way you understand something right now, is completely different than the way you'll understand something in two years.

Watching something does not equal understanding it.

For instance, you can watch hundreds of hours of Kobe footage and not notice that Kobe changed the follow through on his shot midway through his career.
    I really don't get what your point is. How many games of Oscar did you personally watch? Newspaper, radio etc. are irrelevant because you can find that stuff online today and absorb it like you did.

My point is alot of older people, like somebody in there 30's would learn about Oscar and Wilt the same way I would when I'm 21.

WHen I hear this pace of game sillyness I wonder what makes you think maybe he might have picked his pace up if he played today .So throw that out the window.
    If he played today his numbers wouldn't be as impressive.

The pace and era he played in had a huge affect on his career numbers...making them look better then his actually impact on the court.

This doesn't mean Oscar doesn't have a case to be top ten, but it isn't nonsense when people leave him out.

I really don't get what your point is. How many games of Oscar did you personally watch? Newspaper, radio etc. are irrelevant because you can find that stuff online today and absorb it like you did.

My point is alot of older people, like somebody in there 30's would learn about Oscar and Wilt the same way I would when I'm 21.
    Exactly.

Good college starter

I can dig it. Experience obviously will always be a factor. A 40 year old that surfs the internet and researches\watched basketball like a 16 year old kid but has been doing it for longer, clearly will probably know more. Been doing it for longer. It's just what's available now is insane.

I'm only 21 year old but I'm jealous of all the little kids growing up. The 9 year old kids who love\will go on to love basketball at a hardcore level are laughing right now.

I might be one of the few old heads that think that the '12 team could give the Orginal Dream team a good game. They talk about how big Karl Malone was but hell LBJ is the same size. LBJ would have trouble defending karl . However LBJ would just blow past Karl.Sure David Rob woukd dominate Mello but could you imagine D Rob playing D outside the 3pt line. KD would just shoot over Barkly.I mean if your objective it could be a good game. Remember Bird was done and Magic was half himself.Jordan was still in his prime but his mini me Kobe would still have game.So I am an Objective Old head

Good college starter

If he played today his numbers wouldn't be as impressive.

The pace and era he played in had a huge affect on his career numbers...making them look better then his actually impact on the court.

This doesn't mean Oscar doesn't have a case to be top ten, but it isn't nonsense when people leave him out.
    It's nonsense when they put Kobe in

It's nonsense when they put Kobe in
    How?

Kobe's resume is good enough to be top 7-10.

Good college starter

How?

Kobe's resume is good enough to be top 7-10.
    Put his first 3 years up aganist any other All TIme Great he wont be top 50. Go on look at his first 3 years against any other top 15 player you pick the player

Banned

NONE
    Then he doesn't belong in the top 10. ALL top 10 players have either MULTIPLE title and/or MVPs. Read the previous sentence again.

I can't comment on anything prior to 1987 with real certainty. I know my limitations.

When someone drops knowledge about the Big O or Chamberlain, i shut my mouth and listen. Ocassionally, i make a remark about a player's skill set, in the same manner as an amateur scout would. But i don't feel i have a firm enough grasp on the game prior to 1987, despite having studied the NBA for a few decades.

(But my comments are informed by over 20 years of NBA knowledge, so i don't feel they're a complete waste).

A 21-year-old may be able to watch as much old footage as a 30+ year-old (and even then it's doubtful), but his understanding of what he's watching is different.

The 21 year old might say, here's what i think about Wilt, i've been watching and studying basketball for 5-10-15 years, and i'm using my background to draw a conclusion.

But a 30 year old can say, here's what i think about Wilt, i've been watching and studying basketball for 15-20-25 years, and i'm using my background to draw a conclusion.

A 50 year old can say, here's what i think about Wilt, i've been watching and studying basketball for 35-40-45 years, and i'm using my background to draw a conclusion.

There's clearly a difference in the level of understanding.

Just because I study the NBA doesn't mean I understand it the way Hubie Brown does. There's a world of difference between my understanding and that of basketball scholar or an NBA player or Coach.

There's a reason you don't see many 20-year-old NBA scouts (if any).