Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ranking by Tiers

I never delve too deep into ranking players because there's just too many variables. Too many circumstances that in my opinion shouldn't penalize one over another. For some reason, NBA fans are infatuated with ranking players. And I've always felt tiers are a much better means as well as fairer. Here's some criteria that I feel lump guys in with one another.

Tier 1 criteria. Was said player the face of the league for a generation? Not 3 or 4 years. Does said players accomplishments hold up to the best of the previous generations? Did said player win? What about said players stats? How many facets were they the best at? Or top 3? What about their FAILURES????? Eye test. Longevity/Durability, Abilities. I'm sure I'm missing some other factors, but you get the picture.

Tier 1
    Jordan, Olajuwon, Jabaar, Chamberlain, Bird, Magic, Mikan (yes Mikan), James, Duncan, Erving, West, Big O, Bryant, James, O'Neal, M. Malone, Cousey

Tier 2 criteria. Look at tier 1 criteria but they fall short in some aspects
    K. Malone, Stockton, Petit, Wade, Pippen, Nowitzki, Robinson, Barkley, Rodman, Garnett, Thomas, McHale, Hondo, Cowens, Barry, Mcadoo

I'm sure I'm missing players cuz I'm going off the top of my head. But it's overall consistent which is most important. And understand this isn't in any order. Just tier

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Garnett was definitely not two tiers below Duncan.

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    yea right, barkley and co are a tier above dirk.
    I forgot about Dirk. He belongs with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Garnett was definitely not two tiers below Duncan.
    So you think he is top 15 all-time? You want to put him with Moses Malone?