Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Which record will last longest?

100 points
    55 rebounds
    double tripple double (22, 25, 21)

Default Re: Which record will last longest?

55 rebounds

dose Kobe bricks

Agreed

Double triple double isn't really a record...

55 Rebounds

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Double triple double isn't really a record...
    Right, but it's only been done one time, officially. I wanted to add blocked shots, but Wilt's are unofficial, and there's no way to know what his highest total was.

Elmore Smith has held the official record of 17 since 1973. That's a long time, although Manute came close.

100 points and 55 rebounds are both virtually impossible, but Kobe came within 19 points, so it MIGHT happen one day (for example a team like this year's 76ers with a MJ/Kobe-like mentality scorer).

55 rebounds though? A whole team with 55 rebounds would already have a great rebounding day, let alone a single player. I don't see this broker unless something changes the game drastically.

Of the three, probably the 55 rebounds. But his record in playing 48.5 minutes per game one season is as impressive as any.

Shaq Uncut: My Story - Shaquille O'Neal

Chamberlain holds a TON of records that likely will never be broken.

27.2 rpg/season
    50.4 ppg/season
    48.5 mpg/season

And how about these...

Aside from Chamberlain, there have been 36 30-30 games in NBA history, and Russell is the leader of that group, with 7 (Bellamy and Thurmond are next with 3 each.)

How about Wilt? 132.

40-30 (or 30-40) games: Other than Wilt, the NBA has had 9 40-30 games, with Baylor being the only player to have 2.

Chamberlain? 73

50-30 games: Pettit and Baylor each with 1

Wilt? 32

60-20 games: Aside from Wilt, there have been four (Baylor with 3 and Shaq with 1)

Chamberlain? 28

60-30 games: Baylor with 1

Wilt? 8

40-40 games: There have been 8 in the history of the NBA, and Chamberlain had all of them.

50-40 games: Obviously, Wilt would be the only player to have ever have accomplsihed that feat, which he did 5 times.

70-30 games: Chamberlain has the only 2, 78-43 and 73-36 (against Bellamy.)

And this "streak record" is never going to be approached...

Highest scoring game...100 pts
    Hghest scoring consecutive games...161
    Highest scoring total over a 3 game stretch...226
    Highest scoring total over a 4 game period...293
    Highest scoring total over a 5 game stretch...351

And you could continue that over a full 80 game season... 4029

And given that Chamberlain averaged 39.6 ppg in his first seven seasons combined...that extends to around 500+ games. Or that Wilt averaged 34 ppg over the course of his first 11 seasons...or around 800 straight games.

Then, you could probably do the same for rebounding marks.

BTW, there have been a total of 28 40+ rebound games in NBA history, and Chamberlain has 15 of them.

And given the fact that Chamberlain AVERAGED 24.8 rpg thru his first eight seasons...COMBINED, well, the next greatest SINGLE season in NBA history, other than by Wilt, was Russell at 24.7 rpg...you get the picture.

And up until this season, I honestly believed that Wilt's .727 single season FG% mark might stand forever, too, with players like DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, and Brandan Wright only taking dunk attempts, it MIGHT fall.

I doubt his 35 straight made FGAs will be broken, and certainly not in the span of only 3 games.

Blocked shots? Wilt has had estimated games of 30+, but he also had the highest KNOWN and RECORDED game in NBA history, with 23 blocked shots in a nationally televised game in 1968 (and SI confirmed the totals BTW.)

I could go on...including POST-SEASON records...like most 35-20 post-seasons. Or most 30-20 post-seasons. Or most 20-20 post-seasons, etc. Same with post-season series. Most 35-20 post-season series. Most 30-30 post-season series. Most 30-20 post-season series. Most 25-20 post-season series. Most 20-20 post-season series. Or most post-season 50-30 games. Or most 50-20 post-season games. Or most post-season games of 50+points in a must-win game.

Iron-man records? The man averaged 45.8 mpg in his entire CAREER. And as remarkable as that is... how about his 47.2 mpg in his 160 post-season game CAREER?

And, he has SEVERAL KNOWN QUAD DOUBLE games. Had blocked shots been "officially" recorded, and he likely would have 20-30, maybe even 40 in his career. Same with triple-doubles. Wilt had an OFFICIAL 78 triple-doubles in his career, but had blocked shots been kept, it would likely be in the hundreds (and I mean hundred(s).)

Local High School Star

55 rebounds, wilt did it in an era of 6'6 white centers...[COLOR="White"]nah just kidding[/COLOR]
    you can go gunslinger style and get 100 points but theres no way you can get 55 rebounds in the modern era..

Decent playground baller

[HTML][/HTML]
    Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    55 rebounds, wilt did it in an era of 6'6 white centers...[COLOR="White"]nah just kidding[/COLOR]
    you can go gunslinger style and get 100 points but theres no way you can get 55 rebounds in the modern era..
    Shut up kid.

Show me ANY pic you want since 1980 with someone's fingers reaching that high (in the picture wilt has a closed fist...if his hand was open his fingers would basically be touching the top of the backboard, which, BTW, he was known to do. Kid.

(Edit: I see your nah just kidding comment now :p. but at least you got to see a pic I'm sure none of us have seen before.

Decent playground baller

If wilts 30+ blocks in various games were recorded, and hence more triple and quadruple doubles recorded, he'd have the most of those in nba history. I agree in that he'd have 20-30 quad doubles had they been recorded.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    100 points
    55 rebounds
    double tripple double (22, 25, 21)
    To me 100 points might be achieved and should be the easiest.

While the double triple double is highly unlikely its numbers are not super crazy alone. Rebounders rarely get to 25 these days (once every two years?) and assist rarely get to 20 (once a year???) what are the odds of the two big mixmatches ever teaming up? With 20 points?

55 rebounds... isn't going to happen in a 48 minute game unless a 14 second shot clock is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkJaWs
    [HTML][/HTML]
    Shut up kid.

Show me ANY pic you want since 1980 with someone's fingers reaching that high (in the picture wilt has a closed fist...if his hand was open his fingers would basically be touching the top of the backboard, which, BTW, he was known to do. Kid.

(Edit: I see your nah just kidding comment now :p. but at least you got to see a pic I'm sure none of us have seen before.

Deceiving angle unless you think the players next to Wilt who were not even jumping are 7'5".