Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Why do they give 10 medals for swimming but only 1 for basketball

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    not sure if srs
    100% serious. That would kick so much ass. You really wouldn't want to see that?

Swimming is one of the most important sports in Olympics history, its really not questionable why it has 10 medals. Nonetheless, I do not understand why Table Tennis has more medals than basketball, volleyball and soccer, this makes absolutely no sense.

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

so are we sending out justfly, air up there, james white for dunk contest? yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Linspired
    so are we sending out justfly, air up there, james white for dunk contest? yes!
    Yeah, it would be completely awesome. Also, it could be good for those guys to finally become somewhat household names.

What makes no sense is this...

Basketball takes 2 weeks to play in a tournament format. It takes 12 players 2 weeks of competing in 8 games that take 2 hours to play each. All of that to earn ONE gold medal.

Then a swimmer can swim up and down the pool once in 1 minute and earn a gold medal.

Or a sprinter can run down the track for 10 seconds and get a gold medal.

Not all gold medals are created equal.

Should swimming maybe have a SERIES of swims? For example, there isn't just one race for the 100 meter freestyle. Maybe it could be a series of swim to see who truly deserves the gold medal.

Banned

OP is a retard, swimming has multiple disciplines so needs multiple medals. How about we just have a generic "swimming" for all strokes, maybe just "running" can include sprints and long distance. "Shooting" can combine archery and rifles. Does that work better for you?

this question sounds familiar to me.
    In chinese forum we come up questions like:
    "who do you think the USA will present if 3on3 is added to olympics?"
    "who will you choose to represent the USA if 1on1 is added to olympics?"

Quote Originally Posted by bmd

Basketball takes 2 weeks to play in a tournament format. It takes 12 players 2 weeks of competing in 8 games that take 2 hours to play each. All of that to earn ONE gold medal.

Then a swimmer can swim up and down the pool once in 1 minute and earn a gold medal.

Should swimming maybe have a SERIES of swims? For example, there isn't just one race for the 100 meter freestyle. Maybe it could be a series of swim to see who truly deserves the gold medal.
    I'm completely against reducing the amount of medals other sports can earn. But I'm for making multiple events out of the team sports to give more opportunities for medals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I'm completely against reducing the amount of medals other sports can earn. But I'm for making multiple events out of the team sports to give more opportunities for medals.
    Why? what is the point?
    The reason other sports have multiple medals is because multiple disciplines and rules are used in different tournaments and different leagues around the world. basketball is basketball, there is no 3v3 league, there is no slam dunk league. Going by that then soccer should be able to have a penalty shoot out medal? How about a best keepsy uppy medal? Volley ball should have a best server medal? Use your heads and stop posting garbage.

It isn't reducing the amount of medals.

I am suggesting a series of swims... like there is a 7 game series in basketball.

Have the 100 meter freestyle become a "best of 7".

That way it makes it nearly impossible for somebody like Michael Phelps to race in like 8 events.

So if he is going to swim, he needs to pick his race, or possibly two, because he's going to be doing that race several times.

Swimmers won't go to the Olympics to swim in a bunch of different races. They have to pick one, two, or possibly three.

The only problem with this is that there may be too many races to schedule them all.

100% serious. That would kick so much ass. You really wouldn't want to see that?
    It's an absurd suggestion to be frank.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd

Are you legitimately brain dead?

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Are you legitimately brain dead?
    If I'm brain dead then you love c0ck in your mouth.

So am I brain dead?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    OP is a retard, swimming has multiple disciplines so needs multiple medals. How about we just have a generic "swimming" for all strokes, maybe just "running" can include sprints and long distance. "Shooting" can combine archery and rifles. Does that work better for you?
    yA you mad

What a weird reply.
    No, never tried actually. You seem to have it on the mind out of nowhere so maybe you can let us know what thats like pervert.
    You also seem to think the Olympics is some cheap show, not the pinnacle of athletic achievement built on 100's of years of tradition.
    And you are just plain stupid.