Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

Default Harden or Ibaka...who do OKC keep?

So there's a chance OKC will have a lose either Ibaka or Harden at some stage over the next year or so, as both will be worth large contracts and it will be extremely hard for them to keep both of them under the cap, especially with Durant and Westbrook considered the future of the organization and signed into the long term (I don't know the exact details).

So, if you're OKC management, who do you keep?

Harden: 6th man of the year candidate. Versatile scorer, good defender. Running the teams second unit has been of huge importance to OKCs success. But how long does it take before he deserves the start? Could he play alongside Westbrook in a starting role?

Ibaka: Huge defensive presence for a team not otherwise known as a defense-based team. Gives nearly 5 blocks a game. Forces opposition teams into questioning driving into the lane, knowing Ibaka will be there to stop them. Jump shot is improved, and has potential to develop into a decent attacker. Is Ibaka defence replaceable though?

What are your thoughts?

National High School Star KDthunderup's Avatar

Default Re: Harden or Ibaka...who do OKC keep?

Harden

But we will keep both thanks

I thought it was common knowledge that they'll keep both & amnesty Perkins. With them experimenting with their lineup with Durant at the 4 & Ibaka at the 5, that makes Perkins expendable from a longterm perspective due to his salary. Ibaka will continue to develop into a C.

With a Luxury Tax of $70 Million they'll be able to invest in keeping their "Core 4" at a figure between $55-$58 Million, while using the rest of their money to spend for cheap, veteran role players looking to win a ring & rookies.

they can keep both

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

There is no way they can keep both of them.Technically not possible.In 4 years, they would have to pay more than 80$ million tax.Thats not possible.Even if they amnesty perkins,they will not be able to retain one of those players.Because both of those players will require max. contracts.Add that to RB,KD contracts you are looking at almost 70 million luxury tax for just 4 players.That means rest of the roster would be leftovers,vet min and 2nd rookies.Thats not a team.So they will have to choose one of them

National High School Star KDthunderup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arifgokcen
    There is no way they can keep both of them.Technically not possible.In 4 years, they would have to pay more than 80$ million tax.Thats not possible.Even if they amnesty perkins,they will not be able to retain one of those players.Because both of those players will require max. contracts.Add that to RB,KD contracts you are looking at almost 70 million luxury tax for just 4 players.That means rest of the roster would be leftovers,vet min and 2nd rookies.Thats not a team.So they will have to choose one of them

Banned

From a basketball standpoint i'd go with Harden. Amnesty Perkins not to sign Ibaka necessarily, but to get some cap flexibility.

Harden is too good to stay a 3rd option for much longer. A lot of teams will be willing to pay him more than OKC will be able to afford to.

the guy that just dropped 40points

Quote Originally Posted by wagexslave
    Harden is too good to stay a 3rd option for much longer. A lot of teams will be willing to pay him more than OKC will be able to afford to.
    maybe he wants to be part of a perennial contender, than be the man on a much worse team

will he decide to be joe johnson or manu ginobili?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    maybe he wants to be part of a perennial contender, than be the man on a much worse team

Money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    I thought it was common knowledge that they'll keep both & amnesty Perkins. With them experimenting with their lineup with Durant at the 4 & Ibaka at the 5, that makes Perkins expendable from a longterm perspective due to his salary. Ibaka will continue to develop into a C.

With a Luxury Tax of $70 Million they'll be able to invest in keeping their "Core 4" at a figure between $55-$58 Million, while using the rest of their money to spend for cheap, veteran role players looking to win a ring & rookies.
    interesting. i never did the math but i suppose they can give both near max contracts if they amnesty perkins? btw, i think they put durant at the 4 because he's effective in the post in spurts and he's been more vocal about it in the past.

OKC will have a hard time matching harden. i'm a big fan of both but i have to think that harden is more replaceable. ibaka has a more unique skillset and defensive impact. that's why i think OKC should do what it can to win in the next couple seasons. that said, i think wb is the most trade-able piece. he's a better version of monta ellis imo and i just have hard time seeing him as the #2 option as long as he's slotted as PG. people will just say i'm hating but have maynor/harden run PG by committee and i just don't see a major dropoff. if you put rondo on that team, i just think they're dominant especially when you consider his rebounding and TO numbers. rondo is almost tailor made for that team especially since he can initiate fast breaks and is just an elite passer/ball handler
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 04-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by chips93

Will he stay for the rest of his career being a 3rd option? or join a team where he can get Max contract and can avg 25 PPG and become a star of this league.

Quote Originally Posted by wagexslave
    Money talks.
    usually, yeah

it will be interesting to see what he does

he seems like a bright guy, maybe he wont be enamored with the idea of being 'the man', and he could be part of something much bigger, become a real part of nba history, as a key piece on what should be a title contender for the next ten years

we'll just have to wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by arifgokcen
    Who would give them max deals?