Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Russell's Finals MVP's

We know that Russell didn't win the first Finals MVP, but how would he have fared had that award existed his entire career?

Possibly Hondo in '67-68? (Clinching game six win with 40 points.)
    Possibly Heinsohn or Sharman in '56-57?

Of course, Russell's rebounding and defense was a constant in all 11 of those titles.

BTW, Havlicek probably deserved consideration in the '69 Finals, as well.

In any case, Russell probably would have won a minimum of EIGHT Finals MVP's, and as many as TEN.

Default Re: Russell's Finals MVP's

he would had probably all of them.... and if he did... GOAT... with a big ****in gap....

cmon... like 11 rings + up to 11 FMVP...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    he would had probably all of them.... and if he did... GOAT... with a big ****in gap....

cmon... like 11 rings + up to 11 FMVP...
    11 finals MVPs are impossible because the award existed in 1969 and he didn't win it.

Google is your friend.

I was actually trying to do this one day. I was trying to find out all the players who played the best in the finals when the award did not exist, but i lost the data.

However, i do remember counting 8 or 9 Finals MVP's for Russell, so that sounds about accurate for him. The others ? Sam Jones, probably one for sure. Since Jerry West lost in the Finals and won the MVP in 1969, i also counted one for Bob Pettit for the losing team too vs the Celtics.

3-time NBA All-Star

And yes, I give Russell a FMVP in the '64 Finals, too. I would admit, however, that that was the only time when he was not the most dominant center in any of his Finals. BUT, he did play brilliantly in the biggest moments of that series, and he was the main reason his team won.

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

11 finals MVPs are impossible because the award existed in 1969 and he didn't win it.
    there's no way he wins finals mvp 8 times and celtics get 6 hall of famers...its one or the other...he was a center and man shot 44% for his career lets not get carried away here

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

if he didn't win finals mvp in '69 when he actually WON the championship, how would have have won 8 off remaining 10? by the same logic they gave jerry west finals mvp despite losing due to great individual performance, they would have given wilt chamberlain over bill russell a few times as well in some of those. Remainder would be split between various celtic HOFers...the 60s celtics weren't one superstar and everybody else..
    Last edited by StarJordan; 09-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3

Google is your friend.
    I told him this before and he gave me some idiotic response.....like usual. Expect another autistic response from the only autistic poster on ISH.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    We know that Russell didn't win the first Finals MVP, but how would he have fared had that award existed his entire career?
    I have his entire 11 Finals wins laid down and written about in detail, as I was curious to see to many he would have won had the award existed. Thus, I believe that there is no one more qualified than myself to speak on the subject.

Possibly Hondo in '67-68? (Clinching game six win with 40 points.)
    Possibly. Havlicek averaged 27.3 points, 8.7 rebounds and 6.7 assists during the '68 Finals, and his 40/10/7 Game 6 performance might have tipped it in his favor. Russell averaged 17.3 points (actually shooting for a higher FG% than Havlicek), 21.8 rebounds and 5.7 assists, is credited for sparking the second-half rally that led to Boston's Game 1 win, led Boston to victory in Game 3 with a near quadruple-double (25 points, 16 rebounds, 9 assists, 9 blocks), had 22 points, 25 rebounds and the clutch, game-clinching block of Elgin Baylor in Boston's Game 5 win, rejecting Baylor with Boston up by two, blocking the shot to teammate Don Nelson, who the Lakers were then forced to foul. Nelson made one of two free throws for Boston's 120-117 final margin. Perhaps co-MVPs is a possibility, since this was Russell's last big Finals performance (Havlicek definitely would have won in '69 if it had gone to a member of the winning team), but as I said, Havlicek's performance in the deciding Game 6 probably would have ultimately gotten him the nod.

Possibly Heinsohn or Sharman in '56-57?
    Possibly Heinsohn, though he fouled out and was on the bench in Game 7 when the series was decided. Sharman absolutely not. He had big games in four of the first five games of the series, but had a horrible Game 7, going 3/20 for nine points, one rebound and three assists in 48 minutes (Boston's backcourt was worthless in the deciding game of the series

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    I told him this before and he gave me some idiotic response.....like usual. Expect another autistic response from the only autistic poster on ISH.
    come on man, no need to go there, regardless of whether you're joking or not

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Autism doesn't make you stupid, in fact many autistic people are very logical. Autism impedes you socially, not mentally.
    Do you enjoy arguing semantics with me or something? You lose in every argument with me, give it up. As a matter of fact have you ever won an argument on ISH or in your life for that matter?

I didn't say his autistic response = stupid response.

His posts are autistic because he makes a bunch of CAPS LIKE THIS AND THEN HE ENDS UP POSTING NORMAL AGAIN like this.....

ThaSwagg3r

You implied it, you dumbass. And you don't seem to understand autism at all. I've won every argument I've ever had....
    [COLOR="White"]Against you[/COLOR]
    Like Skip Bayless......giving yourself undeserve Ws.

ThaSwagg3r

Amazed you would insult your idol Skip Bayless, considering you sound so much like him you might as well be him. And you've never beaten me in an argument. All you do is go "HURR DURR LEBRICK!!!! HURR DURR I SO CLEVER! DUHHHH! WADE IS DA BESS PLAYA EVA! I WANNA SUCK HIS DICK! DURR!"
    No wonder why you were so defensive with my autism comment. You have it yourself. Keep losing to me, It's fun

LOL U mad.
    u gettin trolled bro

ThaSwagg3r

LOL U mad.
    Does it look like it?

I know you are....

Amazed you would insult your idol Skip Bayless, considering you sound so much like him you might as well be him. And you've never beaten me in an argument. All you do is go "HURR DURR LEBRICK!!!! HURR DURR I SO CLEVER! DUHHHH! WADE IS DA BESS PLAYA EVA! I WANNA SUCK HIS DICK! DURR!"
    You implied it, you dumbass. And you don't seem to understand autism at all. I've won every argument I've ever had....
    [COLOR="White"]Against you[/COLOR]