Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Oscar Robertson Scouting Tool / Docu-highlight Project

a few minutes of sample clips:

http://youtu.be/4lToxIR7OrQ

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Oscar seems much more natural dribbling with his left hand than Cousy in the vid you posted...i guess it isnt just a rules thing...

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Oscar seems much more natural dribbling with his left hand than Cousy in the vid you posted...i guess it isnt just a rules thing...
    Yes it's still a rules thing. I don't see how you still don't understand carrying and how it changed ball handling in basketball. Oscar's perhaps more willing to switch hands ...but than again his approach was get the ball up the floor slowly and play with fundamentals. Cousy's approach was get the ball up the floor fast with style. Cousy wanted the ball in his right hand to whip a wild pass, like Magic. There's plenty of footage of Cousy dribbling passing and shooting with his left hand to indicate he was completely natural handling the ball with either hand, he just preferred it stay in his right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yes it's still a rules thing. I don't see how you still don't understand carrying and how it changed ball handling in basketball. Oscar's perhaps more willing to switch hands ...but than again his approach was get the ball up the floor slowly and play with fundamentals. Cousy's approach was get the ball up the floor fast with style. Cousy wanted the ball in his right hand to whip a wild pass, like Magic. There's plenty of footage of Cousy dribbling passing and shooting with his left hand to indicate he was completely natural handling the ball with either hand, he just preferred it stay in his right hand.
    I still remember Chick Hearn, in the Lakers 71-72 season, in a league with Pete Maravich, claiming that Oscar was the most EFFICIENT dribbler in the league.

I have said it before, but you can post footage of White Chocolate Williams spectacular plays, and then post footage of John Stockton's passing, and the average fan would claim that Williams was the better passer.

Good stuff, looking forward to it.

BTW in one of the clips at the end of the video, Embry looks absolutely massive. Must've weighed a ton.

I've seen a few clips now where Embry looks close to 300lbs. Similar frame to a Tractor Traylor or Mike Sweetney type.

Oscar's game was so efficient. Never a wasted move. Thanks for the clips - I can't wait to see the finished product.

great music there, ludovico einaudi

Wish I could put my back to the basket and do the things Oscar and Monroe did. Two different styles but doing either or switching between the two would be awesome

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

so carrying prevents dribbling with your left

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    so carrying prevents dribbling with your left
    No but it really puts a restriction on crossovers and many spin moves that modern dribblers take for granted. Don't forget defenses then were extremely physical as well. That wasn't just hand-checking that was holding, shoving, pushing... A guard really had to protect the ball.

I'm looking forward to this. Oscar is probably the most fundamentally sound guard ever. His hesitation dribble is unreal but also his head fakes and his feel for position. He always had the opponent off-balance. They always thought they had him but he'd always get that shot off. I've seen a lot of Oscar footage and that's kind of the norm. And his mid-range J was money. West always gets credit as a great shooter where Oscar was almost his equal but gets no mention whatsoever.

National High School Star

as if you have a clue how oscar played anyways
    You don't either if you actually believe Oscar has a case vs Lebron

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Kvnzhangyay
    You don't either if you actually believe Oscar has a case vs Lebron
    Stop, just stop while you're ahead....If you're going to compare across eras, then you have to put Lebron back in that era too when he can't away with carrying/palming the ball...

Would you have trouble choosing between the two Cavs?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369

Would you have trouble choosing between the two Cavs?
    My mind will probably change from time to time, but I'm inclined to pick Oscar most of the time. Depends on what you need. Better ball handling, assertive leadership, and penetration/post up ability at PG? Oscar. Better shooter, defensive player, quiet leadership at the 2-guard spot? West. Also West can play 1-2 at an all-time great level, but Oscar can play 1-3 at an all-time great level. West may be more clutch though. It's like picking a dessert you know, it's not easy to justify one as that much better than another

some more sample clips http://youtu.be/fjO3hZKgdLc this is mostly early robertson, high school NCAA and early NBA
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-26-2014 at 06:05 PM.