Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Winning>Stats

Default Re: The 10 most significant players in basketball history

I think the way to look at it is pioneers. Fulks was the first big time scorer, Mikan first great big man, Arzin first great jump shooter, Cousy the first great point guard, Russell first player to use defence to win games, Baylor the first guy to introduce above the rim play, Chamberlain first unstoppable force, Robertson the first great all rounder guard, West the prototype clutch player, Barry the first great passing forward, Kareem with the greatest hook shot, Dr J the man who bought dunking to prominence, Magic the first big point guard, Bird the best all round forward, Jordan being the greatest, Barkley the greatest undersized big man, KG first high schooler.

I'm sure LeBron will make it one day.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Don't get this confused with 'best players ever' or 'greatest players ever'. These are the most significant players ever; they were remarkable players, they resonate with fans to this day, they are well remembered, and their play resulted in some kind of change to the game that we love. I fully expect this list to go over the heads of the average reader who will no doubt petition for Kobe Bryant and Johnny-come-lately while not understanding what it means to be significant (probably because they won't read this paragraph).

The top 10: (in alphabetical order of surname)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Most points in NBA history
    Larry Bird - 3 consecutive MVP awards
    Wilt Chamberlain - Most rebounds in NBA history
    Julius Erving - 16 time ABA/NBA All-Star
    Magic Johnson - Highest APG in NBA history
    Michael Jordan - Highest PPG in NBA history
    Pete Maravich - Most points in NCAA history
    George Mikan - Voted Greatest Player of the First Half Century*
    Oscar Robertson - Voted Player of the Century in 2000**
    Bill Russell - Most championships in NBA history

*Voted by the Associated Press
    **Voted by the National Association of Basketball Coaches

Toughest omissions:

Elgin Baylor - 10 time All-NBA 1st Team
    LeBron James - Youngest player in NBA history to score 15,000 points
    Shaquille O'Neal - 15-time NBA All-Star

Others gaining strong consideration:

Rick Barry
    Kobe Bryant
    Bob Cousy
    Tim Duncan
    Joe Fulks
    Kevin Garnett
    John Havlicek
    Nat Holman
    Allen Iverson
    Hank Luisetti
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Yao Ming
    Earl Monroe
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Bob Pettit
    Dolph Schayes
    John Stockton
    Goose Tatum
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    I would have Bob Davies and Marques Haynes at least on the consideration list.

But I can't really argue with the top 10.
    Semi-Arguable would be
    Cousy vs Maravich: Cousy came first and played on a winner. But I'd go with Maravich because he is so often cited by ballhandlers from 80s on as an influence (e.g. Isiah, Magic). I probably wouldn't justify his inclusion on LSU though, that college career simultaneously built his legendary status and, to my mind, damaged Pete and Press in the long term.

Baylor vs Erving: Baylor came first with the aerobatics, and was probably a better player, Erving might have had more impact because his stuffs were captured on video. I'd want to say Baylor because I think he was probably better, but again video (clips) of early, mainly ABA Erving is/was more available and more spectacular. The case for Baylor would be that perhaps without Baylor, Erving wouldn't have been what he was.

Shaq was uber-dominant at his apex but maybe not influential so I can understand him not being in the top 10, for LeBron it's too early to judge historical significance and influence but a player of his calibre would, I think, be likely to land in the top 10.

NBA rookie of the year

Chronological order it has to be these guys:

Mikan
    Russell
    Wilt
    KAJ
    Dr. J
    Magic
    Bird
    Jordan
    Shaq