Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I usually hit open layups AcquiringSteak's Avatar

Default Re: Serious Question: How did Stephen Curry get so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    He's been good since his rookie season. Obviously he's gotten a lot better but this narrative that he came out of nowhere is a little misguided.

Dude was putting up 18/6/5 on 46% in his rookie year while playing with a shot happy backcourt mate.

I guess so, but I honestly I don't think he was in any of the conversations like he is today (or last season). Everything was about Lebron and KD. I guess from an overall perspective he did come out of nowhere. But if you look deeper he was always a decent player.

I Rep the Thunder! Thunderfan86's Avatar

He obviously sold his soul to the Devil! It shouldn't be that hard for you guys to figure out. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    God given talent is the primary reason. Never seen a guy who can get off a shot that quick with such accuracy in any way possible (spot up, off ball, off the dribble) from 25 feet in. It's just a talent he was born with. To be that pure in his ability to get off a shot that quickly and with such pure accuracy. And you also add in his elite handles to shake guys and the game has never seen a talent qute like him.
    This.

I remember there was a thread a while back where people were arguing that shooting isn't a talent(Ray Allen for example thinks its all just hard work). I thought that was stupid. Everything is a talent at the highest level if you have enough people competing for it. Ofcourse, you work on it. But there is an underlying talent. For shooting its coordination, balance, fluidity, etc whatever.

This is the type of talent you see in predominantly skill based sports like soccer. Where you see guys that might look pretty normal but they can do some inhuman things. We just don't see this type of talent appear in the NBA often because the talent pool is already limited to a certain combo of tall, quick and strong.

I played high school ball at a pretty competitive school. My jump shot was a big part of my game. But throw me in a gym for 20 years and I still wouldn't be able to shoot like Curry off the dribble from 3. It's a talent and we're lucky to see it.
    Last edited by FKAri; 11-20-2015 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    This.

I remember there was a thread a while back where people were arguing that shooting isn't a talent(Ray Allen for example thinks its all just hard work). I thought that was stupid. Everything is a talent at the highest level if you have enough people competing for it. Ofcourse, you work on it. But there is an underlying talent. For shooting its coordination, balance, fluidity, etc whatever.

This is the type of talent you see in predominantly skill based sports like soccer. Where you see guys that might look pretty normal but they can do some inhuman things. We just don't see this type of talent appear in the NBA often because the talent pool is already limited to a certain combo of tall, quick and strong.

I played high school ball at a pretty competitive school. My jump shot was a big part of my game. But throw me in a gym for 20 years and I still wouldn't be able to shoot like Curry off the dribble from 3. It's a talent and we're lucky to see it.
    Yup. It's mostly just God given talent. His shot is so pure and the release so quick, it looks effortless. And making greatness look effortless is a sign of true greatness. You can get 1 million NBA players to shoot like him but they can't do it like Curry.

Banned

God given talent is the primary reason. Never seen a guy who can get off a shot that quick with such accuracy in any way possible (spot up, off ball, off the dribble) from 25 feet in. It's just a talent he was born with. To be that pure in his ability to get off a shot that quickly and with such pure accuracy. And you also add in his elite handles to shake guys and the game has never seen a talent qute like him.

its called inherited dna

not god given talent

if your mom or dad was good at art or playing an instrument. you'l inherit it somewhat or take naturally to it

same with sports.. his dad transferred the basketball gene

its why theres so many 2nd generation guys that have come through a business that only holds under 1000 jobs at a time out of billions of people on earth

god and religion have absolutely **** all to do with science bud

instinct is part of the animal kingdom

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Banned

Yup. It's mostly just God given talent. His shot is so pure and the release so quick, it looks effortless. And making greatness look effortless is a sign of true greatness. You can get 1 million NBA players to shoot like him but they can't do it like Curry.

you god boys

wheres gods talent for these kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkaioBw2wh0

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Having a father that was an NBA player is a huge deal as well. Not only that he obviously inherited good genes from his pops but the fact that he was in the best environment to succeed as well. Stable home, NBA Pro tutoring from the time you can walk, connections to the best training camps. All of these things plus his God given talent come into play.

The final element is hard work. He could of had this talent and this environment and still been a spaced out guy who is only into partying. Hard work is the thing that ties it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    He can probably back down guys just as good as Magic. On and off the court.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    you god boys

wheres gods talent for these kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkaioBw2wh0
    It's a figure of speech you retard.

He's saying the same exact thing you are. Natural ability.

its called inherited dna

not god given talent

if your mom or dad was good at art or playing an instrument. you'l inherit it somewhat or take naturally to it

same with sports.. his dad transferred the basketball gene

its why theres so many 2nd generation guys that have come through a business that only holds under 1000 jobs at a time out of billions of people on earth

god and religion have absolutely **** all to do with science bud

instinct is part of the animal kingdom
    It's both. He obviously inherited good genes from his Dad but so did Seth Curry...Do you have any brothers? Are they all as good at sports as you? You get genes from your parents, but which ones you get exactly is up to God.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Having a father that was an NBA player is a huge deal as well. Not only that he obviously inherited good genes from his pops but the fact that he was in the best environment to succeed as well. Stable home, NBA Pro tutoring from the time you can walk, connections to the best training camps. All of these things plus his God given talent come into play.

The final element is hard work. He could of had this talent and this environment and still been a spaced out guy who is only into partying. Hard work is the thing that ties it all together.

inherited dna

exposed at a young age

a foot in the door

money for training, coaching, schools, camps, teachers, competition, gyms

this plus his style and talent + the era and its rules

everything favors curry

it also doesnt hurt that his team is stacked beyond belief

perfect situation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    It's both. He obviously inherited good genes from his Dad but so did Seth Curry...Do you have any brothers? Are they all as good at sports as you? You get genes from your parents, but which ones you get exactly is up to God.

it depends on if you fallow in your parents preferred sport and if they were talented to begin with. plus the son must take an interest

my dad wasnt good at sports. he liked hockey. i liked basketball.. my brother was a geek and didnt like sports

totally different situation

if however my dad played basketball and dominated it.... i bet i would have been even better than i already was

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    He can probably back down guys just as good as Magic. On and off the court.
    Can suck c0ck like his Dad

it depends on if you fallow in your parents preferred sport and if they were talented to begin with. plus the son must take an interest

my dad wasnt good at sports. he liked hockey. i liked basketball.. my brother was a geek and didnt like sports

totally different situation

if however my dad played basketball and dominated it.... i bet i would have been even better than i already was
    you got the same genes

what made your brother a geek and you into sports?

G-O-D