Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    I usually hit open layups AcquiringSteak's Avatar

Default Serious Question: How did Stephen Curry get so good?

This is a legit question, I swear he just came outta no where in to this godly form. Back when Lebron joined Heat and that whole era when everyone was talking about the heat, I swear Curry (and Golden State) was not even close to the conversation. And when I saw GS lose to Spurs in the playoffs, and he gave that whole speech about how they'll be back etc, I honestly couldn't see it happening because Stephen Curry and the whole team looked so incredibly average.

Then suddenly last season Steph Curry went off, and so did the GS. I swear they came out of nowhere (legit serious).

Default Re: Serious Question: How did Stephen Curry get so good?

this happened

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

White people work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    this happened

Banned

0/11 lit a fire under his ass

He's using it all up in November though.

Come May he'll be back to his 0/11 form

He has been a great all-around player for a few years now; it was just last year that he truly started to garner recognition for it as the transcultural change took place on the team with the coaching changeovers, and he became an afterthought as one of the superstars in the league. The only substantial improvements he made last season were limiting his turnover rates and playing more effortful defense

God given talent is the primary reason. Never seen a guy who can get off a shot that quick with such accuracy in any way possible (spot up, off ball, off the dribble) from 25 feet in. It's just a talent he was born with. To be that pure in his ability to get off a shot that quickly and with such pure accuracy. And you also add in his elite handles to shake guys and the game has never seen a talent qute like him.

Very good NBA starter

Top 10 last season?^

Dude was the best player in the league.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

They got rid of Mark Jackson who was a terrible coach and hired a coaching staff that set up a system that played right in the hands of Curry, now you see Curry coming off screens to shoot, you NEVER saw that with Jackson there, that team (because of the new coaching staff) as a whole can now pass the ball better than anybody in the NBA which creates easier shots for Curry and the whole team, and obviously the emergence of Draymond Green played a big part in this team's success, he's turned into probably the best role player in the NBA, he can defend multiple positions and is a very versatile player.

Moral of the story: Never hire a religious nut job like Mark Jackson to coach your team.

Banned

curry shoots a quick set shot. its mostly all arms

nba players have always been taught to do jumpers from three. because then they dont have to deal with the defenders long arms

curry got around this by developing a step back and juke move to create enough space to have half a second of wide open shooting time... then all he has to do is his repetitive set shooting motion in which legs arent a factor

and its 100 times easier to replicate. jump shooting is thrown off with the slightest difference in your jump. and if youre tired your shots come up short

curry just came up with a new style of play. thats the reason hes successful

his style has mostly been reserved for role players but curry possesses the ball handling attributes to utilize it without depending on others to get him open. thats all it is...

hes steve kerr evolved

He's been good since his rookie season. Obviously he's gotten a lot better but this narrative that he came out of nowhere is a little misguided.

Dude was putting up 18/6/5 on 46% in his rookie year while playing with a shot happy backcourt mate.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    this happened

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    curry shoots a quick set shot. its mostly all arms

nba players have always been taught to do jumpers from three. because then they dont have to deal with the defenders long arms

curry got around this by developing a step back and juke move to create enough space to have half a second of wide open shooting time... then all he has to do is his repetitive set shooting motion in which legs arent a factor

and its 100 times easier to replicate. jump shooting is thrown off with the slightest difference in your jump. and if youre tired your shots come up short

curry just came up with a new style of play. thats the reason hes successful

his style has mostly been reserved for role players but curry possesses the ball handling attributes to utilize it without depending on others to get him open. thats all it is...

hes steve kerr evolved
    Only on the spectrum of standstill three-point-shooting, because that was Steve Kerr's main function... Otherwise, Steve Kerr's ball-handling skills couldn't be more discrepant from Curry's; in fact, he was so inept at it for Point Guard standards that he didn't even advance the ball while he was in-game.

I usually hit open layups AcquiringSteak's Avatar

The elevation in his game sort of hit me in the face, and right now i'm just overall super surprised. I could've sworn it was always Lebron then KD like start of last year.

I do agree with the voting though for igoudala for FMVP, can't remember the exact games, but I remember curry going missing and igoudala was always there making the plays

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naero
    Only on the spectrum of standstill three-point-shooting, because that was Steve Kerr's main function... Otherwise, Steve Kerr's ball-handling skills couldn't be more discrepant from Curry's; in fact, he was so inept at it for Point Guard standards that he didn't even advance the ball while he was in-game.

which is why i said evolved

steve kerr with currys handles would average 25ppg in this era too