Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast

Default Re: The BigAss 2nd term thread

Tons more NSA stuff out recently.

The big one is from the Washington Post and this one too.

The NY Times Magazine has a big profile on Laura Poitras who Snowden went to before Greenwald got involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/ma...wden.html?_r=0

and a shorter Q and A with Snowden himself
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/ma...ipt.html?_r=1&

Another from the Washington Post. 2011 FISA court ruling.
    http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/pag...isa-court/393/

Wow. I didn't hear this before.

Snowden's Russian lawyer hooked up with FSB
    Snowden to stay in Moscow airport for now: lawyer
    By Maria Antonova (AFP) – Jul 16, 2013
    MOSCOW — US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden will stay in the transit zone of the Moscow airport where he has been holed up for three weeks while Russian authorities process his asylum request, a lawyer helping him said Tuesday.
    Anatoly Kucherena, a Russian lawyer who helped Snowden file an application for asylum in Russia earlier Tuesday, told AFP the fugitive former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor was happy with his treatment at the airport.
    "While all procedural questions are being decided, he will remain in the transit zone of the airport," Kucherena told AFP in central Moscow when asked if Snowden would remain at Sheremetyevo airport until the asylum request was approved.
    He confirmed that the asylum procedure could take up to three months, although a shorter period is theoretically possible.
    Kucherena said he met Snowden at the airport on Tuesday to file the asylum request, with a translator the only other person present.
    "He is satisfied with how he is being treated by the employees of the airport," he added, declining to say how Snowden's security was being ensured at the airport.
    Speaking outside his office in a courtyard off a prestigious central Moscow street, Kucherena said he helped Snowden put together the asylum application after the stranded fugitive requested his assistance.
    A supporter of President Vladimir Putin who supported Putin's election campaign last year, Kucherena also has a legal practice in Moscow that takes on high-profile cases.
    He also sits on the "public council" of the Federal Security Service (FSB), which was created by Putin in 2006.
    According to its website, the council works to "develop a relationship" between the security service and the public. Its fifteen members have to be approved by the head of the FSB.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

According to its website, the council works to "develop a relationship" between the security service and the public.

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Re: the bolded text, what has been proven about the standards being low? By who? Dana Priest who wrote a book on Top Secret America doesn't think so.
    Also according to Mark Ambinder who also just wrote a book on this stuff, XKEYSCORE is for foreign collection. Lots of spy database goodies at that link.
    The link you provided was talking (I believe) about MAINWAY, not XKeyscore (the program with the standards I was criticizing). I agree that the standards for searching/accessing used in the MAINWAY program are fine, but with XKeyscore no formal warrant is needed to conduct a search, rather the XKeyscore user must convince the system that the individual in question is foreign (the standard is a 51% likelihood of the targeted person being a foreigner). The NSA has admitted that domestic communications can appear on systems thought to carry only foreign communications, and that all types of communication held between an American and a foreigner are held in the same databases as those that hold communications held between foreigners. The release of information on the XKeyscore program seems to have also knocked House Intelligence Subcommittee Chairman Mike Rogers on his ass, as he boldly stated just seven days before the breaking of the news on XKeyscore that Snowden's claims of easily being able to access the content of seemingly anyone's emails were wrong.

   

would be curious to hear what nanners has to say now that his debate opponent is back.

ugh, hang on... nanners' whole profile looks like it got shut down here. shit, what happened, mate?

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    would be curious to hear what nanners has to say now that his debate opponent is back.

ugh, hang on... nanners' whole profile looks like it got shut down here. shit, what happened, mate?
    Thanks a bunch, I'm having flashbacks of listening to my Naderite friends tell me it would be better if Gore no lost.

What do you have against me?

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman
    The link you provided was talking (I believe) about MAINWAY, not XKeyscore (the program with the standards I was criticizing). I agree that the standards for searching/accessing used in the MAINWAY program are fine, but with XKeyscore no formal warrant is needed to conduct a search, rather the XKeyscore user must convince the system that the individual in question is foreign (the standard is a 51% likelihood of the targeted person being a foreigner). The NSA has admitted that domestic communications can appear on systems thought to carry only foreign communications, and that all types of communication held between an American and a foreigner are held in the same databases as those that hold communications held between foreigners. The release of information on the XKeyscore program seems to have also knocked House Intelligence Subcommittee Chairman Mike Rogers on his ass, as he boldly stated just seven days before the breaking of the news on XKeyscore that Snowden's claims of easily being able to access the content of seemingly anyone's emails were wrong.
    Again, according to Ambinder XKEYSCORE deals with metadata. Not content. So the content of anyone's emails is not available through XKEYSCORE. There are whole procedures on what to do if you encounter American data even if you encounter a foreigner's data while they are in the US. You basically have to stop what you are doing immediately. This is a lot of what Snowden stole, training materials about all these rules, you had to follow.

This is the basis of the Washington Post report from yesterday, where the NSA tells the FISA court when an "incident" like this happened. The majority of the time, its user-error, typos and too broadly defined search terms.

This is where the 51% comes in. It's actually a limited on the searches someone is allowed to run. On METADATA, not CONTENT.

   

Thanks a bunch, I'm having flashbacks of listening to my Naderite friends tell me it would be better if Gore no lost.

What do you have against me?
    hum, i actually assisted a bit on ralph

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

Again, according to Ambinder XKEYSCORE deals with metadata. Not content. So the content of anyone's emails is not available through XKEYSCORE. There are whole procedures on what to do if you encounter American data even if you encounter a foreigner's data while they are in the US. You basically have to stop what you are doing immediately. This is a lot of what Snowden stole, training materials about all these rules, you had to follow.

This is the basis of the Washington Post report from yesterday, where the NSA tells the FISA court when an "incident" like this happened. The majority of the time, its user-error, typos and too broadly defined search terms.

This is where the 51% comes in. It's actually a limited on the searches someone is allowed to run. On METADATA, not CONTENT.
    One document that has been leaked states that XKeyscore has the capabilities to read the content of emails. The only requirements that an NSA employee needs to read the content of the emails of the person under scrutiny after providing a selector is to meet the requirements of the 51% standard. Also, Snowden has stated that NSA employees are hardly brought to accountability for their search entries, and even when they are, it's unlikely the employee faces any drawback.

[QUOTE=gigantes]hum, i actually assisted a bit on ralph

   

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    well said. :)

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman
    One document that has been leaked states that XKeyscore has the capabilities to read the content of emails. The only requirements that an NSA employee needs to read the content of the emails of the person under scrutiny after providing a selector is to meet the requirements of the 51% standard. Also, Snowden has stated that NSA employees are hardly brought to accountability for their search entries, and even when they are, it's unlikely the employee faces any drawback.
    The Guardian published a marketing/training document where every example was about metadata and about foreign targets. Also it was from 2008 before the FISA amendments acts.

In the article itself they mixed that in with other screenshots of other systems.

My guess is the way it works, is you search the metadata in XKEYSCORE and if you get hits you can analyze and then if need to go futher you need proceed to other systems. However, you need access and permissions to those other systems. If you have rights to basic XKEYSCORE searches, does not give you access to higher database or databases where content is stored.

Analysts search metadata even when they are doing 100% foreign intelligence. Again the reason is BIG DATA, you do the metadata searches to narrow down the pile of stuff to look at. If XKEYSCORE searched through content, it would take far too long. A typical signals analyst's job is something like, we caught this guy in Afghanistan planting an IED, here's the numbers in his cell phone, find his network. To get back timely information, you don't want to be overwhelmed, so at collection, full content is sent to another data and, for XKEYSCORE the metadata is extracted and fed into a database of metadata tables and these tables are what XKEYSCORE searches.

The whole Guardian article on XKEYSCORE was a way of trying to save face, because they took Snowden at his word he had authority to wiretap the president.